Author Topic: How good are the Wizards with Brad Stevens as their coach  (Read 1112 times)

How good are the Wizards with Brad Stevens as their coach
« on: August 12, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
The thing is about the Wizards roster is they have some much talent, but it seems like they’ve been underachieving for years with the core they have now.

I think if Stevens was there, we’d be looking at least a finals contender. We all know Stevens is a maestro, and will probably be in the conversation for coach of the year for the next decade.

He made IT4 in to a MVP candidate, so why wouldn’t he do the same with John Wall?

Instead of Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Amir Johnson he’d have Bradley Beal, Otto Porter, Dwight Howard..

Just an interesting thought that ties in with how much coaching really matters a lot in the NBA..

Re: How good are the Wizards with Brad Stevens as their coach
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 10:38:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
They’re better, probably, but I do question how coachable John Wall is.  The criticisms of his game have persisted through three head coaches, namely that he takes defensive possessions off and gambles too much on defense in general, and frequently clashes with his teammates, forming us vs. them cliques within his own locker room, which he then tries to paper over by buying all his teammates expensive gifts.  He’s very prone to hero ball, and while he is capable of heroics, more often than not hero-ball is unsuccessful.  I’ll put it this way — if Wall had been a Celtic during the Stevens era, I think Ainge would have traded him.

Many of the same criticisms can be given to Beal as well, although I think he’s probably more coachable than Wall about these things, and followed Wall’s lead.

The Wizards in general have been a poorly run organization for over a decade, and I don’t know that Stevens would have even left Butler to take that job, in an alternate universe where it was offered to him.  The organization doesn’t have long-term plans, and instead just tries to patch things up year-to-year.  The Wizards would have likely been better, because Brad is a terrific coach, but, for example, I don’t think last year’s team would have won 55 games with Brad at the helm.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 11:06:08 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
A few games better. John Walls the problem.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 02:50:29 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
We've got much better talent and depth than the Wizards.  Their only player I'd want is Beal.  As others have mentioned Wall is a big part of their problem and they are going to rue the day they gave him that designated veteran contract. 

Irving > Wall   
Brown < Beal
Hayward > Porter
Tatum > Oubre
Horford > Howard   

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
We've got much better talent and depth than the Wizards.  Their only player I'd want is Beal.  As others have mentioned Wall is a big part of their problem and they are going to rue the day they gave him that designated veteran contract. 

Irving > Wall   
Brown < Beal
Hayward > Porter
Tatum > Oubre
Horford > Howard   
Wall is a better overall player than Irving. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 12:36:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Irving > Wall   
Brown < Beal
Hayward > Porter
Tatum > Oubre
Horford > Howard   

This can only be said by someone who doesn’t watch much of John Wall (and why would you? The Wizards are not very entertaining basketball). 

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 12:47:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Irving > Wall   
Brown < Beal
Hayward > Porter
Tatum > Oubre
Horford > Howard   

This can only be said by someone who doesn’t watch much of John Wall (and why would you? The Wizards are not very entertaining basketball).
Or by someone who has watched far more Irving than this board over his career?  Irving is vastly overrated on this board (as would be expected).  Irving has way more flaws than Wall, and like Wall has locker-room issues (for different reasons but they still exist).  I wouldn't want to pay either 40 million a year as neither is worth it in a vacuum, but such is the modern NBA where that is the going rate for "max" players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip