Author Topic: Is Baynes going to shoot the 3 this year?  (Read 5269 times)

Re: Is Baynes going to shoot the 3 this year?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 10:35:17 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I fully expect Theiss and Baynes to shoot the three, and of course Horford. A big man who can defend and hit an open three is critical to our system

Baynes went to 3-21 from 3 during the season, or 14.3%. In the playoffs he was a completely unsustainable 47.8%. I think we need a much larger sample size to say Baynes should really be shooting 3's.

I agree- realistically he's probably somewhere in between. Considering the 3 wasn't really part of his game during the regular season I imagine those 21 shots weren't all quality looks. I have to imagine at least a few were buzzer beater type chucks.

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 10:48:39 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Believe in the all 40% 3 point shooting lineup baby ;D

I would bet on our starting crew (Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, Brown and Horford) going to be in the vicinity of 40% (probably a little over) from the three as a unit. They will rival the GSW from behind the arc IMO.

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 11:46:54 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I fully expect Theiss and Baynes to shoot the three, and of course Horford. A big man who can defend and hit an open three is critical to our system

Baynes went to 3-21 from 3 during the season, or 14.3%. In the playoffs he was a completely unsustainable 47.8%. I think we need a much larger sample size to say Baynes should really be shooting 3's.

I agree- realistically he's probably somewhere in between. Considering the 3 wasn't really part of his game during the regular season I imagine those 21 shots weren't all quality looks. I have to imagine at least a few were buzzer beater type chucks.

Pretty safe bet to assume he’s somewhere between a 14% and 48% 3pt shooter.

As long as he mostly takes wide open corner threes, he will be pretty successful. It’s not like he’s looking to take ‘em off the dribble at the top of the key.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
If he is wide open and feels like trolling the other teams defense he will make it rain from down town
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 10:50:18 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

correct. theis was working hard on his three game and still is. baynes will follow suit. if they can hit them with any type of consistency compared to Al based on similar attempts we will be very hard to defend this year
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 11:06:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
with one sec remaining in OT

Baynes. for THREE !    ;D

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 12:33:33 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I mean if Stevens has accepted 4 threes a game from Smart his whole career, then I don’t see why 1 or 2 three point attempts from Baynes would rock the boat.

Hopefully Baynes can have a Horford-esque affinity for 3-point shooting once he gets his reps up. At least being serviceable from the corner would be amazing.

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I mean if Stevens has accepted 4 threes a game from Smart his whole career, then I don’t see why 1 or 2 three point attempts from Baynes would rock the boat.

Hopefully Baynes can have a Horford-esque affinity for 3-point shooting once he gets his reps up. At least being serviceable from the corner would be amazing.
I agree.  There's always a place for a bailout shot when the offense breaks down and up against the shot clock.  In fact, this is one reason the C's will be so good:  Just about everybody in the rotation can make a shot.  Philly can't claim this (looking at you, Ben Simmons).

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I sure as hell hope not, lol ;D, as he'd be much better served to hone his post game, imo.

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 07:50:22 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I sure as hell hope not, lol ;D, as he'd be much better served to hone his post game, imo.

that would be a welcome addition as well but beggars cannot be choosers! ;0
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Ummm… No thanks.  I'm good with him rebounding, boxing people out, setting screens, and playing D.

He's the anti-Olynyk. 

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 09:14:09 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

that would be a welcome addition as well but beggars cannot be choosers! ;0

Can we trade in his man bun ::) for a reliable jump hook? ;D #NoManBunCrew ;D

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 09:35:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

correct. theis was working hard on his three game and still is. baynes will follow suit. if they can hit them with any type of consistency compared to Al based on similar attempts we will be very hard to defend this year
theis was known as a good 3 point shooter before he came to the celtics. his career 3 point percentage there was 37.1% and in his final season he shot 41%.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2018, 10:00:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he is gonna shoot

anybody can do that

question is will he make any.

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2018, 10:25:41 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
One year the Knicks shot very well from the three.

That year they would end every practice with a three point shooting contest.