Author Topic: Is Baynes going to shoot the 3 this year?  (Read 5273 times)

Is Baynes going to shoot the 3 this year?
« on: August 09, 2018, 02:38:55 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
As we saw in the playoffs Brad Stevens utilized Baynes from behind the three point line quite a bit and Baynes had some success from back there. I was at Philadelphia game 1 and Baynes spent just about all of half time practicing 3 pointers.

Now, I realize we have Kyrie and Hayward coming back so it's less important for him to shoot the 3 but I could see him sneaking into the corners for a 3 point attempt here and there.

So what do you think? Was Baynes' 3 point outburst just limited to the playoffs last year?

Re: Is Baynes going to shoot the 3 this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 03:07:40 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
As we saw in the playoffs Brad Stevens utilized Baynes from behind the three point line quite a bit and Baynes had some success from back there. I was at Philadelphia game 1 and Baynes spent just about all of half time practicing 3 pointers.

Now, I realize we have Kyrie and Hayward coming back so it's less important for him to shoot the 3 but I could see him sneaking into the corners for a 3 point attempt here and there.

So what do you think? Was Baynes' 3 point outburst just limited to the playoffs last year?

It's like the hurry-up offense the Pats deploy. Use only in emergencies.

Every team needs its secret weapon!

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 03:11:54 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Absolutely.  If Stevens could have a team full of shooters from 1-15 he would absolutely do so.  His offense depends on flow and shooters.  He won't shoot 4 a game but 1 or 2 to pull defenders out of the paint opens up driving opportunities for everyone else.  If anyone the C's have on the floor, including Ojeleye and anyone else can hit open shots it will make the C's O look just like GSW.  You can't leave anyone open or cheat off of your man to help on a drive to the hoop.  It's a nightmare to defend because pick your poison.  Let your guy drain an open 3 or let Kyrie and company drive to the hoop for a layup.  If you have 5 shooters your offense is unstoppable.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Sure, but only in bail out, end of the shotclock type of situations. And only from the corner.  8)

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 03:24:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I fully expect Theiss and Baynes to shoot the three, and of course Horford. A big man who can defend and hit an open three is critical to our system

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 03:35:21 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
I fully expect Theiss and Baynes to shoot the three, and of course Horford. A big man who can defend and hit an open three is critical to our system

Baynes went to 3-21 from 3 during the season, or 14.3%. In the playoffs he was a completely unsustainable 47.8%. I think we need a much larger sample size to say Baynes should really be shooting 3's.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 03:42:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Baynes went to 3-21 from 3 during the season, or 14.3%. In the playoffs he was a completely unsustainable 47.8%. I think we need a much larger sample size to say Baynes should really be shooting 3's.

Regardless of percentages, it is the way our offense runs. Just look at Smart. Even Sullinger was launching them when he was here. It's Stevens system.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 03:43:51 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Regardless of percentages, it is the way our offense runs. Just look at Smart. Even Sullinger was launching them when he was here. It's Stevens system.

Well, maybe the "system" needs tweaks if guys like Smart have a green light on 3s

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 03:53:10 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Really hard to say - but a decent number of centers have gone from never shooting the three to shooting them fairly regularly and fairly effectively. You could look at Dedmon or Marc Gasol, for that matter, Al Horford.

*If* Baynes can do that, he adds significantly to his value - he could spend a lot of time spotting up at the corner and force Joel Embiid or other centers to guard him out there. He wouldn't have to take many of them if other teams know he's got a fairly quick release (he did in the playoffs) and if you leave him wide open he might hit, say high thirties to 40%. They'd have to guard him, opening the lanes for the other guys. If Baynes can hit them at a half-decent clip, his offensive efficiency (which is currently dreadful) would also go up.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 03:55:03 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Really hard to say - but a decent number of centers have gone from never shooting the three to shooting them fairly regularly and fairly effectively. You could look at Dedmon or Marc Gasol, for that matter, Al Horford.

*If* Baynes can do that, he adds significantly to his value - he could spend a lot of time spotting up at the corner and force Joel Embiid or other centers to guard him out there. He wouldn't have to take many of them if other teams know he's got a fairly quick release (he did in the playoffs) and if you leave him wide open he might hit, say high thirties to 40%. If he can hit them at a half-decent clip, his offensive efficiency (which is currently dreadful) would also go up.

No question. It would allow us to be basically not be playing 4 on 5 on O when he's in the game and complement his stingy D.

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 05:31:26 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If he's open why wouldn't he.

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 08:43:03 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

This.  I think Baynes made some lucky ones in the playoffs.  He doesn’t look like a 3 point shooter to me.  If he happens to be wide open, fine.  But it’s not a shot I’d want him taking several times per game. 

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 02:37:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Believe in the all 40% 3 point shooting lineup baby ;D
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 08:58:17 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
See the 3
Be the 3
Yup

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 10:03:27 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He'll shoot more 3's this year than every other year in his career combined.

Which isn't saying much.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008