Author Topic: Is Baynes going to shoot the 3 this year?  (Read 5333 times)

Re: Is Baynes going to shoot the 3 this year?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2018, 11:23:11 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Ummm… No thanks.  I'm good with him rebounding, boxing people out, setting screens, and playing D.

He's the anti-Olynyk.

Did you not watch the series against the Sixers? We're not asking him to shoot 3 attempts every game. Just having him shoot the corner three at a decent clip once in a while helps our spacing very well, also really good against certain matchups.

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 04:34:39 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Ummm… No thanks.  I'm good with him rebounding, boxing people out, setting screens, and playing D.

He's the anti-Olynyk.

Did you not watch the series against the Sixers? We're not asking him to shoot 3 attempts every game. Just having him shoot the corner three at a decent clip once in a while helps our spacing very well, also really good against certain matchups.

Not sure Baynes is getting the recognition he deserves, we don't win that series without his 3s and D. He was the MVP in that series with Tatum a strong 2nd because of what he did when CBS switched him onto TJ and when he took advantage of when we forced TJ to guard Tatum in g5. I guess CBS is in the running too, he made subtle changes that were so crucial.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 05:29:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He's the anti-Olynyk.

Not sure Baynes is getting the recognition he deserves, we don't win that series without his 3s and D. He was the MVP in that series with Tatum a strong 2nd because of what he did when CBS switched him onto TJ and when he took advantage of when we forced TJ to guard Tatum in g5. I guess CBS is in the running too, he made subtle changes that were so crucial.
Yeah, Baynes was absolutely awesome in that series. His 8/7 while making more 3's than JT and Al, and shooting more efficiently from three than both those guys, Mook, Smart and Rozier was crucial. Not to mention him averaging an offensive rebound ever 11.8 minutes played
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

He's the anti-Olynyk.

Yeah, Baynes was absolutely awesome in that series. His 8/7 while making more 3's than JT and Al, and shooting more efficiently from three than both those guys, Mook, Smart and Rozier was crucial. Not to mention him averaging an offensive rebound ever 11.8 minutes played
In the series against Philly the C's were outscored by 40 points with Baynes on the floor, the C's were +55 points when Baynes was off the floor. 

114 of Baynes 118 minutes in the series was with Embiid on the floor.  The C's were outscored by by a whopping 46 points in those minutes.  The series was won in the minutes Embiid was off the floor and when Horford was guarding him when he was on the floor.

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 08:45:21 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Thanks for the numbers. One question for you. Do you also have the stats for how Embiid did when Baynes was NOT on the floor?

Thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2018, 09:10:12 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I expect Bayne to shoot 3s a bit this year, but I don't expect him to beat Amir Johnson's career high in 3PA (66 in 2013-14 and 2016-17)

Honestly, I'd be surprised if he even shoots 50
I'm bitter.

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 09:20:59 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I sure as hell hope not, lol ;D, as he'd be much better served to hone his post game, imo.

Unless he became basically elite in the post, why would we ever go to him in the post rather than doing anything else offensively? Adding a mediocre (or even "pretty good") post game wouldn't really add anything. In what situations do you go with him in the post instead of running our normal offense, or a pick-and-roll/pop, or Kyrie/Tatum/Hayward/Brown iso, etc.?

Spending his off season adding a post game would be a waste of time, while working on shooting would at least help spread the floor
I'm bitter.

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2018, 09:23:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I sure as hell hope not, lol ;D, as he'd be much better served to hone his post game, imo.

Unless he became basically elite in the post, why would we ever go to him in the post rather than doing anything else offensively? Adding a mediocre (or even "pretty good") post game wouldn't really add anything. In what situations do you go with him in the post instead of running our normal offense, or a pick-and-roll/pop, or Kyrie/Tatum/Hayward/Brown iso, etc.?

Spending his off season adding a post game would be a waste of time, while working on shooting would at least help spread the floor
Yeah, no point for him working on his post game. He already has that awfully ugly left hook that mysteriously goes in
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Thanks for the numbers. One question for you. Do you also have the stats for how Embiid did when Baynes was NOT on the floor?

Thanks.
Embiid played 73 minutes when Baynes was not on the floor in the series.  In those minutes the C's outscored Philly by 29 points with an offensive rating of 107.5 and a defensive rating of 92.8.  In the 58 minutes when Embiid was not on the floor the C's were +32 points with an Off. Rat. of 123.9 and a Def. Rat. of 95.8.

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2018, 05:27:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Yeah, no point for him working on his post game. He already has that awfully ugly left hook that mysteriously goes in

I love that ugly little hook shot!
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 03:38:53 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Expecting 100+ attempts  :P