Author Topic: Brown: "Celtics will make the 2019 finals. No question.”  (Read 8874 times)

Re: Brown: "Celtics will make the 2019 finals. No question.”
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 10:21:33 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I wouldn't rely on Brown to back up his words after game 7 last playoffs. It's going to be on others to get the job done
I forgot that 1 game defined a player.

JB dropped 27 in game 6 of that series, which was an elimination game too.
Yeah, Rozier and Brown were the only two players that showed up in that game 6. If just one other guy showed up it would have been Celtics in 6.
Really one game? Let's not forget a few games he did not perform. And game 7 is a lot bigger than game 6

he averaged 19.7 ppg in the eastern conf. finals which lead the team.  he played great def during the whole playoffs.  How is that not performing?  what do you really expect from him?

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 10:24:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Big fan of Jaylen.  He's shown a nice balance of confidence, humility, and respect.  And he's more than proven himself both on and off the court already.   
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:34:35 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 10:38:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wouldn't rely on Brown to back up his words after game 7 last playoffs. It's going to be on others to get the job done

Yeah, Rozier and Brown were the only two players that showed up in that game 6. If just one other guy showed up it would have been Celtics in 6.
Really one game? Let's not forget a few games he did not perform. And game 7 is a lot bigger than game 6
You must have missed the part where I said only he and Terry showed up in an elimination game. If anyone else showed up, there wouldn't have been a need for game 7.

You also must have missed the stats posted above. Brown was the Cs leading scorer in the ECF. He also was just tenths of a point from leading the team in scoring for the playoffs. If he fidn't get hurt he might have averaged over 20 PPG in the playoffs while being 2nd on the team in 3 point shooting.

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 11:31:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

You must have missed the part where I said only he and Terry showed up in an elimination game. If anyone else showed up, there wouldn't have been a need for game 7.

You also must have missed the stats posted above. Brown was the Cs leading scorer in the ECF. He also was just tenths of a point from leading the team in scoring for the playoffs. If he fidn't get hurt he might have averaged over 20 PPG in the playoffs while being 2nd on the team in 3 point shooting.
His ego is what got hurt

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 11:35:11 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

he averaged 19.7 ppg in the eastern conf. finals which lead the team.  he played great def during the whole playoffs.  How is that not performing?  what do you really expect from him?
How about pass the ball to Tatum in game 7

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 12:09:22 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

so at first you said he was a no show and wasn't clutch, now you say he is a ball hog and didn't pass the ball to tatum?  So all I get at this point is you don't really like our leading scorer from the ECF from last year.

look Brown played better in last years playoffs than anyone had a right to expect.  his ceiling might even be higher than Tatum's as a two way player.  He isn't a selfish player.  All of this is just non-sense.  Why don't you just sit back and enjoy our two rising stars.  I know I will.

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 05:49:57 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

so at first you said he was a no show and wasn't clutch, now you say he is a ball hog and didn't pass the ball to tatum?  So all I get at this point is you don't really like our leading scorer from the ECF from last year.

look Brown played better in last years playoffs than anyone had a right to expect.  his ceiling might even be higher than Tatum's as a two way player.  He isn't a selfish player.  All of this is just non-sense.  Why don't you just sit back and enjoy our two rising stars.  I know I will.
When did I say that?

I like Brown what I am saying is he isn't the guy to back up a guarantee. He talked last year a few times before games in which he didn't play well in. In game 7 he dropped the ball on both sides of the court. I could careless about just scoring. It's talking when you aren't known for backing things up. I don't like it.

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 07:29:24 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

When did I say that?

I like Brown what I am saying is he isn't the guy to back up a guarantee. He talked last year a few times before games in which he didn't play well in. In game 7 he dropped the ball on both sides of the court. I could careless about just scoring. It's talking when you aren't known for backing things up. I don't like it.
So, Brown is what he is, and will never improve?  Didn't he take a leap from rookie to soph season?  I think it probable that Jaylen is thinking very hard about his mistakes in the ECF and is dedicated to being better.  His proclamation about the Finals is perfectly fine in a league built on confidence.  This could be his way to put pressure on himself to improve.  If there's anything I've learned about Brown is that he wants to be better, he knows he has the talent, and will put in the work required.

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 11:53:03 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

When did I say that?

I get what you're saying, but remember back to Jaylen's introductory press conference or call as a Celtic, when he said he was 'ready to rip someone's head off' and he hadn't played a minute in the NBA yet.  Now look where he is after 2 seasons, looking like a top 20 asset in the NBA.

He might have this aggressive attitude that sounds cocky, but it also might fuel improvement.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2018, 01:51:01 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Wasnt Bird a bit cocky?  I know MJ was as was Kobe. I would say Russ was too and I know Chamberlain was. If being cocky is something we are not looking for in our players then what are we looking for?

I would much rather have a guy with JB's attitude then a meek, mild mannered 'nice guy' who says something like "well we should make the finals if all goes right, health, home court, proper seeding, and blah blah blah'.

I'm glad JB is this confident. Now go out and back it up JB like we know you can!

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2018, 01:20:20 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I love  Jaylen Brown!

I LOVE THEIS THEIS BABY!

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2018, 04:57:53 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

With the hamstring injury, no less. He was great in the entire series, acting like his one bad game defines the series is just stupid.

There's absolutely no chance that we even play game 7 without Jaylen
I'm bitter.

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2018, 07:33:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

When did I say that?

So, Brown is what he is, and will never improve?  Didn't he take a leap from rookie to soph season?  I think it probable that Jaylen is thinking very hard about his mistakes in the ECF and is dedicated to being better.  His proclamation about the Finals is perfectly fine in a league built on confidence.  This could be his way to put pressure on himself to improve.  If there's anything I've learned about Brown is that he wants to be better, he knows he has the talent, and will put in the work required.
Again... Brown talked last year and things didn't go too well.

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2018, 07:33:55 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
The Celtics were a quarter and a half away from the Finals last year. LeBron is out the East, and the Celtics are running it back with 2 All-Stars.

I think the pressure is good for them. Regardless of whether or not Brown made these comments, the expectation is that the Celtics will get to the Finals. Anything less than that is a failed season. All he did was cement that mentality.

I don't think the Celtics would be considered an underdog in any EC series come playoff time, so a good way to keep yourself motivated would be proclaim high expectations, and if you can't rise to the occasion the public will hold you accountable.

It backfired on the Wizards, but hopefully it works for the C's.

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2018, 07:37:42 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

When did I say that?

Again... Brown talked last year and things didn't go too well.

In what world is playing 7 games in the ECF without Kyrie and Hayward "things didn't go well"?
I'm bitter.