Author Topic: Barkley thinks Celtics will be an entertaining team this season  (Read 5504 times)

Re: Barkley thinks Celtics will be an entertaining team this season
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 10:12:34 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Sir Charles via NBA TV:

“It’s going to be interesting watching that team play because people just assume they’re getting two All Stars back like it’s all going to all fit together,” Barkley said. “Let me tell you something, I saw Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum play. They’re not going to sit around and watch Kyrie (Irving) and Gordon Hayward shoot the ball every time. Those two young kids are terrific. Anybody that thinks ‘hey Kyrie and Gordon, you just shoot all the shots and we’ll just stand around.’ That to me is going to be very fun to watch.”
I like how on a team like GSW, with 2 guys who shoot considerably more than everyone not named Kyrie, this isn't even considered a problem. But for a team Sir Charles hates, it is.
Probably worth noting that Golden State has proven it won't be a problem, while we have yet do so.

That said, I can't really imagine a better host of player personalities. Horford and Hayward are built as well as anyone for these roles. Both can score from any level and are good passers for their positions. Both can stretch the floor play off ball. Both are willing to blend into an offense rather than be a focal point. If they didn't have the character they do, I'd be a little worried, but I'm supremely confident that the unselfishness of those two guys will play a huge role in the teams success. It will allow Tatum and Brown's roles to expand at whatever pace fits suits them.

If Hayward or Horford need to pick up a greater load? no problem. If Tatum or Brown make another leap toward go-to scorer status, Hayward and Horford will mold their games to suit that.

And I think Kyrie is underrated as someone who can play off ball, has learned how to pick his spots, and is fine sitting back and letting others get theirs.
He did play off LeBron for quite some time, so I think he'd be perfectly okay with it under a much better coach in a more functioning offence

Right, and I don't think Kyrie's problem with Lebron was necessarily that Kyrie wasn't getting his touches, I think it had more to do with the circus that Lebron brought with him, the shadow that cast, and Lebron not being willing to see Kyrie as an equal.

Kyrie had a usage rate of 31% last year. For what ever reason he wanted out of Cleveland, he demands a lot of touches and shots. Hayward was at 28% his last year in UT. Tatum and Brown were at 23% and 25% in the playoffs last year, respectively.

Someone is going to have to sacrifice some touches and shots here. I can see Chuck's point..

Just because he had a high usage rate last season doesn't mean he needs to have a high usage rate. When last season began he was the only go-to scorer. He had to carry the offense a lot of nights. But I had a lot more instances thinking "Kyrie needs to get in there are take over" than I had "Kyrie needs to not take so many shots" last year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 01:35:44 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Sir Charles via NBA TV:

“It’s going to be interesting watching that team play because people just assume they’re getting two All Stars back like it’s all going to all fit together,” Barkley said. “Let me tell you something, I saw Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum play. They’re not going to sit around and watch Kyrie (Irving) and Gordon Hayward shoot the ball every time. Those two young kids are terrific. Anybody that thinks ‘hey Kyrie and Gordon, you just shoot all the shots and we’ll just stand around.’ That to me is going to be very fun to watch.”
I like how on a team like GSW, with 2 guys who shoot considerably more than everyone not named Kyrie, this isn't even considered a problem. But for a team Sir Charles hates, it is.
Probably worth noting that Golden State has proven it won't be a problem, while we have yet do so.

That said, I can't really imagine a better host of player personalities. Horford and Hayward are built as well as anyone for these roles. Both can score from any level and are good passers for their positions. Both can stretch the floor play off ball. Both are willing to blend into an offense rather than be a focal point. If they didn't have the character they do, I'd be a little worried, but I'm supremely confident that the unselfishness of those two guys will play a huge role in the teams success. It will allow Tatum and Brown's roles to expand at whatever pace fits suits them.

If Hayward or Horford need to pick up a greater load? no problem. If Tatum or Brown make another leap toward go-to scorer status, Hayward and Horford will mold their games to suit that.

And I think Kyrie is underrated as someone who can play off ball, has learned how to pick his spots, and is fine sitting back and letting others get theirs.
He did play off LeBron for quite some time, so I think he'd be perfectly okay with it under a much better coach in a more functioning offence

Right, and I don't think Kyrie's problem with Lebron was necessarily that Kyrie wasn't getting his touches, I think it had more to do with the circus that Lebron brought with him, the shadow that cast, and Lebron not being willing to see Kyrie as an equal.

Kyrie had a usage rate of 31% last year. For what ever reason he wanted out of Cleveland, he demands a lot of touches and shots. Hayward was at 28% his last year in UT. Tatum and Brown were at 23% and 25% in the playoffs last year, respectively.

Someone is going to have to sacrifice some touches and shots here. I can see Chuck's point..

Just because he had a high usage rate last season doesn't mean he needs to have a high usage rate. When last season began he was the only go-to scorer. He had to carry the offense a lot of nights. But I had a lot more instances thinking "Kyrie needs to get in there are take over" than I had "Kyrie needs to not take so many shots" last year.

Sure he MAY be able to get by with lower usage, but so far he hasn't proven it yet. Last year his usage was a career high. We'll need to wait and see to see how he adapts to all this talent..

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 10:50:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Sir Charles via NBA TV:

Sure he MAY be able to get by with lower usage, but so far he hasn't proven it yet. Last year his usage was a career high. We'll need to wait and see to see how he adapts to all this talent..

We've seen him play off ball for years with Lebron and I saw a willingness to let others get theirs all season this past year as well, he just didn't get much of an opportunity to do that because he was the only trusted shot creator on the team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2018, 10:41:04 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
I laughed at this notion when I heard it, as if it’s bad to have too many options. I don’t care what he says, it’s a great problem to have.

These aren’t ballhogs, they all work within the system and take the right shot, that’s what Brad is always preaching. They will still swing the ball, they will attack then they have the matchup.

I’m sure he loves GSW adding Cousins, though.

He’s a tool that can’t handle Celtics are legit.

there are alot of TV media the same Celtics hate ..Rose for one

HATERS GONNA HATE!
LET'S GO CELTICS!