Author Topic: Barkley thinks Celtics will be an entertaining team this season  (Read 5499 times)

Re: Barkley thinks Celtics will be an entertaining team this season
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 09:58:52 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Nothing wrong with what Barkley said. I have concerns as well. If you think about it, it's theoretically a 5 man all-star team. When KD joined the Warriors, Steph and Klay took a back seat and KD became the "feature." The way I envision that the team will settle into is Kyrie being more of a facilitator/resting for 3 quarters and carrying the team in the 4th. If you guys recall last season, Kyrie was an absolute monster in the final 5 minutes. If we were anywhere within 5 points, we were going to win. Maybe with proper minutes allocation, we can extend that to 8-12 minutes. That way Kyrie is happy because he's the "hero" and Hayward, Tatum and Brown get their touches. Horford will low-key be the most important player as usual with 0 praise required. Gotta love people like him.

Whatever the case, I trust Brad. If he can turn last year's depleted team into 1 game away from the Finals, I'm sure he can figure out a way to make the full gang co-exist. He is just a natural leader and strategist. When in doubt, just relax and let Brad do his job.

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
That said, I can't really imagine a better host of player personalities. Horford and Hayward are built as well as anyone for these roles. Both can score from any level and are good passers for their positions. Both can stretch the floor play off ball. Both are willing to blend into an offense rather than be a focal point. If they didn't have the character they do, I'd be a little worried, but I'm supremely confident that the unselfishness of those two guys will play a huge role in the teams success. It will allow Tatum and Brown's roles to expand at whatever pace fits suits them.

I'm pretty sure Al Horford isn't going to take a shot this season. He'll just set picks, pass the ball and play defense. Problem solved.

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 11:05:00 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Who cares what Charles Barkley thinks. He's a chump. Makeup wearin, churro eatin bum. Man was a spokesperson for Jenny Craig and he's still fat. Man said God wanted him to win the 93 Finals and they still lost.
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 11:34:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta agree with a few others, I don't see what he said was a diss at the Celtics. Last year we were all excited to see how the tean would gel with so many new faces. This year it should be exciting how things blend again with Hayward coming back and and the progress of the Jays.

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Meh, Chuck isn't wrong here. One of the reasons it's going to be tougher to decide on Kyrie than most people think. I'm sure they'll give it a shot this year but Kyrie needs a ton of shots and touches. Be interesting to see how the chemistry comes together..

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 12:49:16 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Sir Charles via NBA TV:

“It’s going to be interesting watching that team play because people just assume they’re getting two All Stars back like it’s all going to all fit together,” Barkley said. “Let me tell you something, I saw Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum play. They’re not going to sit around and watch Kyrie (Irving) and Gordon Hayward shoot the ball every time. Those two young kids are terrific. Anybody that thinks ‘hey Kyrie and Gordon, you just shoot all the shots and we’ll just stand around.’ That to me is going to be very fun to watch.”
I like how on a team like GSW, with 2 guys who shoot considerably more than everyone not named Kyrie, this isn't even considered a problem. But for a team Sir Charles hates, it is.
Probably worth noting that Golden State has proven it won't be a problem, while we have yet do so.

That said, I can't really imagine a better host of player personalities. Horford and Hayward are built as well as anyone for these roles. Both can score from any level and are good passers for their positions. Both can stretch the floor play off ball. Both are willing to blend into an offense rather than be a focal point. If they didn't have the character they do, I'd be a little worried, but I'm supremely confident that the unselfishness of those two guys will play a huge role in the teams success. It will allow Tatum and Brown's roles to expand at whatever pace fits suits them.

If Hayward or Horford need to pick up a greater load? no problem. If Tatum or Brown make another leap toward go-to scorer status, Hayward and Horford will mold their games to suit that.

And I think Kyrie is underrated as someone who can play off ball, has learned how to pick his spots, and is fine sitting back and letting others get theirs.
He did play off LeBron for quite some time, so I think he'd be perfectly okay with it under a much better coach in a more functioning offence

Right, and I don't think Kyrie's problem with Lebron was necessarily that Kyrie wasn't getting his touches, I think it had more to do with the circus that Lebron brought with him, the shadow that cast, and Lebron not being willing to see Kyrie as an equal.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 07:27:44 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Sir Charles via NBA TV:

“It’s going to be interesting watching that team play because people just assume they’re getting two All Stars back like it’s all going to all fit together,” Barkley said. “Let me tell you something, I saw Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum play. They’re not going to sit around and watch Kyrie (Irving) and Gordon Hayward shoot the ball every time. Those two young kids are terrific. Anybody that thinks ‘hey Kyrie and Gordon, you just shoot all the shots and we’ll just stand around.’ That to me is going to be very fun to watch.”
I like how on a team like GSW, with 2 guys who shoot considerably more than everyone not named Kyrie, this isn't even considered a problem. But for a team Sir Charles hates, it is.
Probably worth noting that Golden State has proven it won't be a problem, while we have yet do so.

If Hayward or Horford need to pick up a greater load? no problem. If Tatum or Brown make another leap toward go-to scorer status, Hayward and Horford will mold their games to suit that.

And I think Kyrie is underrated as someone who can play off ball, has learned how to pick his spots, and is fine sitting back and letting others get theirs.
He did play off LeBron for quite some time, so I think he'd be perfectly okay with it under a much better coach in a more functioning offence

Right, and I don't think Kyrie's problem with Lebron was necessarily that Kyrie wasn't getting his touches, I think it had more to do with the circus that Lebron brought with him, the shadow that cast, and Lebron not being willing to see Kyrie as an equal.

Kyrie had a usage rate of 31% last year. For what ever reason he wanted out of Cleveland, he demands a lot of touches and shots. Hayward was at 28% his last year in UT. Tatum and Brown were at 23% and 25% in the playoffs last year, respectively.

Someone is going to have to sacrifice some touches and shots here. I can see Chuck's point..

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 07:45:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sir Charles via NBA TV:

Kyrie had a usage rate of 31% last year. For what ever reason he wanted out of Cleveland, he demands a lot of touches and shots. Hayward was at 28% his last year in UT. Tatum and Brown were at 23% and 25% in the playoffs last year, respectively.

Someone is going to have to sacrifice some touches and shots here. I can see Chuck's point..
If Golden State can manage 31, 30.4, 23.7 and 21.7 then I think we can (hopefully) emulate something like that. Obviously I doubt GH averages a usage rate of 30+, considering his playmaking nature and him getting back into things.
But it's definitely doable
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 08:22:29 PM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
I have to say, the only hate I read, is coming from the posters towards Barkley. I honestly don't understand why everyone assumes Barkley is hating on the Celtics based off that statement. Yes, Brown and Tatum played with Kyrie for most of the regular season. However, they also stepped up their games once Kyrie went down. Both Brown and Tatum are expected to step up even further based off of their experience, and we even have a separate thread debating on whether they will make the All-Star team this season. And let's not forget, Gordon Hayward signed a max deal and only played 5 minutes in his first season on the team. Most guys who sign max deals, try to go out of their way to try to prove that their worth the contract, especially on a new team. Well, Hayward has that on top of also trying to come back from a serious leg injury. Before I forget, Kyrie and Al have opt out clauses and could become unrestricted free agents at the end of the season, so they will be playing for their next contracts. Having said that, I do believe Kyrie, Gordon, Jaylen, Jayson, and Al are a perfect mix of elite and unselfish talent. I do agree with Barkley that it will be interesting and entertaining to see it play out.
This. Green goggles not only change the color of everything you see, it sometimes distorts the picture as well ....

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 08:37:23 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Sir Charles via NBA TV:

I think his insinuation is valid. But then again there is nothing wrong with letting Tatum or Brown play with the second unit at times. In my book, it's a nice problem to have.

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 10:12:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Gotta agree with a few others, I don't see what he said was a diss at the Celtics. Last year we were all excited to see how the tean would gel with so many new faces. This year it should be exciting how things blend again with Hayward coming back and and the progress of the Jays.

That is because Charles, as he is prone to do, made an ambiguous statement. He was intentionally vague so that he can claim omniscience regardless of the outcome of the Boston Celtics' season.

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 12:19:56 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Who cares what Charles Barkley thinks. He's a chump. Makeup wearin, churro eatin bum. Man was a spokesperson for Jenny Craig and he's still fat. Man said God wanted him to win the 93 Finals and they still lost.
When did he kick your dog?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 12:22:41 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
When did he kick your dog?

And when did Mr. Pemulis get a dog?!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 09:05:23 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 09:24:31 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think Chuck will be entertaining...and full of himself.