Author Topic: Barkley thinks Celtics will be an entertaining team this season  (Read 5498 times)

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Sir Charles via NBA TV:

“It’s going to be interesting watching that team play because people just assume they’re getting two All Stars back like it’s all going to all fit together,” Barkley said. “Let me tell you something, I saw Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum play. They’re not going to sit around and watch Kyrie (Irving) and Gordon Hayward shoot the ball every time. Those two young kids are terrific. Anybody that thinks ‘hey Kyrie and Gordon, you just shoot all the shots and we’ll just stand around.’ That to me is going to be very fun to watch.”

Re: Barkley thinks Celtics will be an entertaining team this season
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:50:27 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The Celtics do not clown around. Entertaining team? Go watch the Lakers, they have a lot of hollywood entertainment in that team. Rondo. Lance. LeBron. Javale. The Ball Family.

The Celtics will be out there balling and doing work.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 12:25:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sir Charles via NBA TV:

“It’s going to be interesting watching that team play because people just assume they’re getting two All Stars back like it’s all going to all fit together,” Barkley said. “Let me tell you something, I saw Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum play. They’re not going to sit around and watch Kyrie (Irving) and Gordon Hayward shoot the ball every time. Those two young kids are terrific. Anybody that thinks ‘hey Kyrie and Gordon, you just shoot all the shots and we’ll just stand around.’ That to me is going to be very fun to watch.”
I like how on a team like GSW, with 2 guys who shoot considerably more than everyone not named Kyrie, this isn't even considered a problem. But for a team Sir Charles hates, it is.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 02:37:32 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Sir Charles via NBA TV:

I like how on a team like GSW, with 2 guys who shoot considerably more than everyone not named Kyrie, this isn't even considered a problem. But for a team Sir Charles hates, it is.
Probably worth noting that Golden State has proven it won't be a problem, while we have yet do so.

That said, I can't really imagine a better host of player personalities. Horford and Hayward are built as well as anyone for these roles. Both can score from any level and are good passers for their positions. Both can stretch the floor play off ball. Both are willing to blend into an offense rather than be a focal point. If they didn't have the character they do, I'd be a little worried, but I'm supremely confident that the unselfishness of those two guys will play a huge role in the teams success. It will allow Tatum and Brown's roles to expand at whatever pace fits suits them.

If Hayward or Horford need to pick up a greater load? no problem. If Tatum or Brown make another leap toward go-to scorer status, Hayward and Horford will mold their games to suit that.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 04:05:22 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
another hate-filled take by Barkley. Perhaps he should just own up and share why he hates the Celtics.

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 05:27:45 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I laughed at this notion when I heard it, as if it’s bad to have too many options. I don’t care what he says, it’s a great problem to have.

These aren’t ballhogs, they all work within the system and take the right shot, that’s what Brad is always preaching. They will still swing the ball, they will attack then they have the matchup.

I’m sure he loves GSW adding Cousins, though.

He’s a tool that can’t handle Celtics are legit.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 07:04:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I laughed at this notion when I heard it, as if it’s bad to have too many options. I don’t care what he says, it’s a great problem to have.

These aren’t ballhogs, they all work within the system and take the right shot, that’s what Brad is always preaching. They will still swing the ball, they will attack then they have the matchup.

there are alot of TV media the same Celtics hate ..Rose for one

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 07:36:22 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Sir Charles via NBA TV:

Probably worth noting that Golden State has proven it won't be a problem, while we have yet do so.

That said, I can't really imagine a better host of player personalities. Horford and Hayward are built as well as anyone for these roles. Both can score from any level and are good passers for their positions. Both can stretch the floor play off ball. Both are willing to blend into an offense rather than be a focal point. If they didn't have the character they do, I'd be a little worried, but I'm supremely confident that the unselfishness of those two guys will play a huge role in the teams success. It will allow Tatum and Brown's roles to expand at whatever pace fits suits them.

If Hayward or Horford need to pick up a greater load? no problem. If Tatum or Brown make another leap toward go-to scorer status, Hayward and Horford will mold their games to suit that.

And I think Kyrie is underrated as someone who can play off ball, has learned how to pick his spots, and is fine sitting back and letting others get theirs.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 08:14:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sir Charles via NBA TV:

And I think Kyrie is underrated as someone who can play off ball, has learned how to pick his spots, and is fine sitting back and letting others get theirs.
He did play off LeBron for quite some time, so I think he'd be perfectly okay with it under a much better coach in a more functioning offence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

agreed - Barkley and Rose are probably the 2 most blatant Celtics Haters on national broadcasts that were former players.  Haven't figured out if Mark Jackson is at that same level or his 'hate' is mixed with just general stupidity/lack of any knowledge of the C's.

SAS is the worst non-player as far as having a larger audience to pontificate his Lebron/Laker love and disdain for the C's.

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 09:34:39 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Whole lot of defensiveness on here.  Barkley's quote is perfectly reasonable.  To assume everything is going to be plug and play is not realistic.  Money and ego are involved. 

Barkley may be a Celtics hater but he said this in July. 
“The Boston Celtics are the team to beat in the Eastern Conference for the next 10 years,” Barkley said Sunday on NBA TV.

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 09:36:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

agreed - Barkley and Rose are probably the 2 most blatant Celtics Haters on national broadcasts that were former players.  Haven't figured out if Mark Jackson is at that same level or his 'hate' is mixed with just general stupidity/lack of any knowledge of the C's.

SAS is the worst non-player as far as having a larger audience to pontificate his Lebron/Laker love and disdain for the C's.
I can understand Stephen A.'s hate for the Celtics. He is a lifelong Knicks fan who grew up in Queens.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 09:36:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I know it is Charles and he isn't exactly well received around these parts, but I don't think he said anything unreasonable in that quote and was quite complimentary of both Brown and Tatum.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 09:42:34 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I have to say, the only hate I read, is coming from the posters towards Barkley. I honestly don't understand why everyone assumes Barkley is hating on the Celtics based off that statement. Yes, Brown and Tatum played with Kyrie for most of the regular season. However, they also stepped up their games once Kyrie went down. Both Brown and Tatum are expected to step up even further based off of their experience, and we even have a separate thread debating on whether they will make the All-Star team this season. And let's not forget, Gordon Hayward signed a max deal and only played 5 minutes in his first season on the team. Most guys who sign max deals, try to go out of their way to try to prove that their worth the contract, especially on a new team. Well, Hayward has that on top of also trying to come back from a serious leg injury. Before I forget, Kyrie and Al have opt out clauses and could become unrestricted free agents at the end of the season, so they will be playing for their next contracts. Having said that, I do believe Kyrie, Gordon, Jaylen, Jayson, and Al are a perfect mix of elite and unselfish talent. I do agree with Barkley that it will be interesting and entertaining to see it play out.

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 09:58:31 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
another hate-filled take by Barkley. Perhaps he should just own up and share why he hates the Celtics.

Barkely can spew all the negative comments about the C's he wants.  At every corner the C's have proved him wrong.  The only thing that scares me is when Barkely talks positively about the team.  Then I know they are screwed when he is on the band wagon.  Please keep hating Barkley.  The C's have made you look really bad every time you have opened your mouth and talked poorly about them.