Author Topic: Tatum, Brown among players most likely to be 1st time All-Stars as voted by ESPN  (Read 4622 times)

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Our starting lineup will be All-Stars!  8)
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Rather than all stars, could the Celtics have top 6 players by position at all positions?

Kyrie (3rd-5th behind Curry, Harden, maybe Westbrook, maybe 1 of CP3 / Lillard)

Jaylen (6th behind Oladipo, Beal, Klay, Mitchell, Devin Booker)

Hayward (6th behind LBJ, KD, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler, PG13)

Tatum (6th behind AD, Giannis, KP, Love, maybe Draymond)

Horford (3rd-5th behind Embiid, Gobert, maybe KAT or Jokic)
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
If one of Horford, Kyrie or Hayward struggle for whatever reason I could see Tatum or Brown being voted an all-star. Realistically I think Kyrie, Horford, and Hayward will probably be all-stars and I don't think they will give the C's 4 all-stars.

Simmons and Mitchell are probably locks. One of Gobert and Jokic will make it.

I'd be surprised if Horford makes another all-star game.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Rather than all stars, could the Celtics have top 6 players by position at all positions?

Tatum > Love
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
If one of Horford, Kyrie or Hayward struggle for whatever reason I could see Tatum or Brown being voted an all-star. Realistically I think Kyrie, Horford, and Hayward will probably be all-stars and I don't think they will give the C's 4 all-stars.

Yeah, I think Hayward is the obvious choice of the incumbents to not make the all star game if he has a slow start after the injury, but Horford is the sleeper.

I think there’s a chance, albeit a small one, that Kyrie and Tatum are our top 2 all stars and our 3rd (if we have one) is a wildcard. Could even be Jaylen.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Harden should be another SG ahead of Jaylen not a PG.  DeRozan is certainly ahead of Jaylen.  I'd also put McCollum, Middleton and Holiday ahead of Jaylen too.  Aldridge would need to be in the discussion at PF or C. 

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This might be heresy here, but I think Jaylen will have a better year than Tatum this year, mostly because I think Jaylen could end up on an NBA All Defense team besides increasing his scoring and efficiency.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Harden should be another SG ahead of Jaylen not a PG.  DeRozan is certainly ahead of Jaylen.  I'd also put McCollum, Middleton and Holiday ahead of Jaylen too.  Aldridge would need to be in the discussion at PF or C.
Blake Griffin is still probably ahead of JT too. If KP is listed then DMC should be as well.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Blake Griffin is still probably ahead of JT too. If KP is listed then DMC should be as well.

Yeah, I did that list from memory so there were misses. I deliberately left off McCollum and even DeRozan at SG too.

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956

I wouldn't be too surprised.  Remember the 2015 All-Star game, where the Hawks sent 4 players to the ASG - including Kyle Korver - because of their winning record?  I could see the same for the C's.  If we're lighting the league up, I could see Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, and Tatum or Brown in there.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Me, too. Not only is Hayward back, but Tatum and Brown should absolutely be getting more touches. I love Horford and realize counting stats don't begin to tell the story with him, but with decreasing scoring and rebounding numbers and with four other guys on our team at or near star level, Horford looks primed to be the best 'role player' in the league.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
This might be heresy here, but I think Jaylen will have a better year than Tatum this year, mostly because I think Jaylen could end up on an NBA All Defense team besides increasing his scoring and efficiency.

I believe this as well. Heck most people (esp non-Cs fans) thought Tatum had a better year than Brown. This could be because of several factors:

1) Defense is often overlooked, esp when seen by opposing team's fans.
2) Jaylen missed some time in the playoffs due to injury.
3) Fans saw more of Tatum's bright spots in the playoffs, mostly because of #2, and the Sixers and Cavs series were viewed more than the Cs-Bucks.
4) Jaylen had a horrible last playoff game.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Me, too. Not only is Hayward back, but Tatum and Brown should absolutely be getting more touches. I love Horford and realize counting stats don't begin to tell the story with him, but with decreasing scoring and rebounding numbers and with four other guys on our team at or near star level, Horford looks primed to be the best 'role player' in the league.

You'd be surprised? I can understand thinking Horford won't make anymore all star games (he's always been a borderline all star) but saying you'd be surprised if he did goes a little far.

He's still the only reliable scorer the team has inside, while also being able to shoot from outside, is a great defender and might be the team's best playmaker. Given his position and age (32 is not that old in today's NBA) I don't see his numbers going down much this season and if the C's are winning more than 70% of their games he'll have more favor with the coaches than the youngsters will.

I won't be surprised if he never makes another but I certainly won't be surprised if he makes it this season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

I was thinking the same thing. Brown is ready to go off given the chance.

I also wouldnt be surprised to see Smart as an All star picked by the coach. He definitely has to be considered a candidate for the All NBA defensive team as well. Of course he has to play well enough to earn it but I think he will.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
If the C's are on a 60 win pace by the break they will have 4 all stars, but I actually believe it will be Big Al who will be the odd man out.  With the offensive emergence and continued growth of Tatum and Brown, he's going to have the least "sexy" numbers.  He'll be the one making the most personal sacrifices for the offense. 

So I'm gonna go with Kyrie, Hayward, Brown, Tatum.