Author Topic: how many title teams from the 2000's would the 07-08 Celtics beat in 7 games?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
2000, 2001, 2002 Lakers. I really do think the 07-08 Celtics would beat all these Lakers teams. They had the rare defensive prowess to contain Kobe and Shaq. Who guards KG? Also, Those Lakers teams didn't have close to the supporting cast that the big three had.

2003 Spurs. No.

2004 Pistons. Yes.

2005 Spurs. Tossup. Probably not.

2006 Heat. Yes.

2007 Spurs. Yes.

2009 Lakers. YES. 

2010 Lakers. Yes.

2011 Mavericks. Yes.

2012 Heat. Yes.

2013 Heat. Yes.

2014 Spurs. Yes.

2015 Warriors. Yes.

2016 Cavaliers. No.

2017 Warriors. No.

2018 Warriors. No.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
All. Of. Them.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think all besides 1 or 2 of those Spurs teams, and the Durant Warriors.

The Spurs with Kawhi on Pierce would be tricky
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Shaq would have dominated the Celtics. He was an unstoppable force those 3 Lakers titles
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
That's a trick question.  obviously, the answer is none of them --> they'd beat them in less than 7

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Shaq would have dominated the Celtics. He was an unstoppable force those 3 Lakers titles

I think Perk would have done a formidable job guarding Shaq. Shaq never had to go through a defensive front court as good as Perk-KG in the finals.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Weirdly, Ray Allen vs Kobe was usually a heck of a head to head.  Shaq though was not stoppable. the C's were probably more versatile, so we wipe out the Lakers.

Oh how I wish the 09, 10 and Shaq version teams could've been healthy...3 more titles.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I don't think we would've beaten all three of those Shaq-led Lakers team. Shaq was just too dominant. Then you have guys like Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, Kobe Bryant, Brian Shaw. Maybe we'd get away with one of those 3 teams.

Definitely beat the 04 defensive Pistons team. Definitely 06 Heat, 07 Spurs, 10 Lakers, 11 Mavericks, 12 Heat, 13 Heat, 14 Spurs, 15 Warriors, 16 Cavs lol.

The 09 Lakers were just far too dominant. Celtics got swept that year by them.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

The 09 Lakers were just far too dominant. Celtics got swept that year by them.

Huh ?  We dominated the '08 Lakers and beat the '10 Lakers minus the Game 7 officials.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

I think Perk would have done a formidable job guarding Shaq. Shaq never had to go through a defensive front court as good as Perk-KG in the finals.

The Shaq/Kobe Lakers...maybe once in three years. To say that perk would do a great or good job would probably still mean that Shaq would average 30 and 15 on 60% fg.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

not really. That Lakers team went 15-1 one post season by beating the Blazers, Kings, Spurs, and Sixers.  Shaq was unstoppable despite playing Dikembe (DPOY) in the Finals and the Duncan/Robinson duo in the WCF (not to mention the tough gritty Blazers and the far more athletic Kings).  Shaq was just a monster. There is no way Perk or KG do anything against him those seasons when he was at his absolute peak.  I mean the Lakers just flat out owned Duncan and Robinson who were better defenders than Perk and KG.  Now the Spurs didn't have Pierce and Allen making it a closer series but I'd still favor Shaq in that series.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
They probably lose to the '01 Lakers, the Durant Warriors teams, the '03 Spurs, the '14 Spurs that were just a machine... Maybe no one else.

The kicker is, the '09 Celtics were probably better if KG stayed healthy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
They probably lose to the '01 Lakers, the Durant Warriors teams, the '03 Spurs, the '14 Spurs that were just a machine... Maybe no one else.

The kicker is, the '09 Celtics were probably better if KG stayed healthy.

That team was amazing in the playoffs.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

While I like Perk, I think he would've fouled out guarding Shaq. Shaq was just a monster in his prime. We had problems defending Dwight even with Perk, Shaq was way better than Dwight. I think we wouldve controlled Kobe and the rest though.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

While I like Perk, I think he would've fouled out guarding Shaq. Shaq was just a monster in his prime. We had problems defending Dwight even with Perk, Shaq was way better than Dwight. I think we wouldve controlled Kobe and the rest though.
some of that "monster" ability by Shaq was because he got away with a lot of offensive fouls when he bulldozed through/over defenders and some foot shuffling in the post.   he was the dominant center in the game but he didn't need the officials to take it the next step and make him essentially invincible.