Author Topic: Paul Manafort bank and tax fraud trial  (Read 4912 times)

Re: Paul Manafort bank and tax fraud trial
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2018, 01:09:09 PM »

Offline blink

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 446
Lost in all the other Trump fiasco news....

Manafort's defense team rested its case this morning without calling any witnesses and Manafort declined to testify.  Probably a good call by him, but it won't likely matter as the evidence against him is overwhelming.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2018/08/14/paul-manafort-trial-day-11-live-coverage/?utm_term=.39ea949e8a74

His next trial begins in Washington (mid sept) where he will face 'charges of conspiring against the U.S., conspiring to launder money, and failing to register as an agent of a foreign power'.  Maybe we will get some more insight to the nagging questions about manafort's involvement in the trump campaign and his connections to the russia investigation in that trial.

Either way at this point Manafort seems to be hoping for a pardon. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/manaforts-trial-to-open-in-september-in-washington-1519835676

« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5524

Manafort's defense team rested its case this morning without calling any witnesses and Manafort declined to testify.  Probably a good call by him, but it won't likely matter as the evidence against him is overwhelming.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2018/08/14/paul-manafort-trial-day-11-live-coverage/?utm_term=.39ea949e8a74

His next trial begins in Washington (mid sept) where he will face 'charges of conspiring against the U.S., conspiring to launder money, and failing to register as an agent of a foreign power'.  Maybe we will get some more insight to the nagging questions about manafort's involvement in the trump campaign and his connections to the russia investigation in that trial.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/manaforts-trial-to-open-in-september-in-washington-1519835676
Had some trouble with the links. Both asked for subscriptions to axcess the articles.

« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2018, 01:27:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 8944

Had some trouble with the links. Both asked for subscriptions to axcess the articles.
try this link -- not a big article but captures the point
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/08/14/defense-rests-in-manafort-fraud-trial-calling-no-witnesses/23502143/

I don't get the legal plan to not call any witnesses in the face of this barrage of evidence.  must be planning on getting a pardon (which I can't see the justifiable grounds for one) because if he was just going to take a guilty verdict he should have taken a plea bargain.

question I have is if indeed Trump pardons him, what if any reaction would the general public have as well as Congress?

« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2018, 01:32:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Paul Silas

Hmmm, I will try it again with a different site.  Sorry they worked for me.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/defense-rests-its-case-in-manafort-trial-without-calling-any-witnesses/

Sorry I can't find another article similar to the WSJ one.  That had info about Manafort's 2nd trial and even that one was hard to find.  I guess because of the 1st trial no one is reporting about the 2nd one very much right now.

If you want to, try clearing your browswer history.  I can sometimes read WSJ articles if I clear my history. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 01:37:25 PM by blink »

« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2018, 01:51:14 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 581
I believe both WSJ and WAPO give you access to a certain number of articles for free before they start to ask you to subscribe.   That's probably what is going on with those links.  This is a growing practice with a lot of news sites.

This can result in oddities like being able to reach a link from one client (say, your phone) but not another (say, a laptop) because on one you may have used up your quota.

Sometimes a site will reset the count periodically.  I.E., letting you read, say, 10 articles per month for free before they start to pester you.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.
#OneCitizenOneVote - True Election Reform:  Eliminate the anti-democratic Electoral College farce now.

« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2018, 12:22:58 PM »

Offline blink

• Paul Silas
Trump today on Manafort while the jury is deliberating Manafort's case...

"I think the whole Manafort trial is very sad," Pres. Trump says. "I think it's a very sad day for our country." "He happens to be a very good person, and I think it's very sad what they've done to Paul Manafort."

Trump just lies so much.  It isn't a sad day for our country when someone who committed crimes gets prosecuted, he isn't a good person, and 'they' (whomever that is) didn't do anything to him, Manafort did it to himself.  I guess if Trump is planning on pardoning him he needs to set up a false narrative first at the same time as signaling to Manafort not to turn on him.

« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2087
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

"I think the whole Manafort trial is very sad," Pres. Trump says. "I think it's a very sad day for our country." "He happens to be a very good person, and I think it's very sad what they've done to Paul Manafort."

Trump just lies so much.  It isn't a sad day for our country when someone who committed crimes gets prosecuted, he isn't a good person, and 'they' (whomever that is) didn't do anything to him, Manafort did it to himself.  I guess if Trump is planning on pardoning him he needs to set up a false narrative first at the same time as signaling to Manafort not to turn on him.

It's also wildly unethical and corrupt for a President to publicly vouch for a criminal defendant while the jury is deliberating (or really at any other point in the trial), especially when that crony could have incriminating information on him.

But more and more of the checks built in to the system are now governed by naked partisan self-interest, and the overwhelming majority of the party barely even pretends to care about corruption or ethics anymore, so the rot continues to spread.

« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2018, 01:03:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Paul Silas

It's also wildly unethical and corrupt for a President to publicly vouch for a criminal defendant while the jury is deliberating (or really at any other point in the trial), especially when that crony could have incriminating information on him.

absolutely.  completely unethical.  if Manafort is convicted (likely) and Trump pardons him it would have to be one of the most corrupt actions ever by a sitting president.

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2018, 02:18:44 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 581

absolutely.  completely unethical.  if Manafort is convicted (likely) and Trump pardons him it would have to be one of the most corrupt actions ever by a sitting president.

Or if they don't convict him ... under the cloud of possibly having been influenced by the President's public statements.  That would also not be good.

Any decent executive official should know to not say anything about an active case or trial.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.
#OneCitizenOneVote - True Election Reform:  Eliminate the anti-democratic Electoral College farce now.

« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2018, 04:40:13 PM »

Offline blink

• Paul Silas

and now the response from Manafort's lawyer is...

Manafort attorney Kevin Downing says “it’s great to have the support of the President of the United States”

It just seems like such a blatant informal offer and acceptance of a pardon. 

« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2018, 06:14:49 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 57
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Now the judge is receiving threats.  Smart move not to release the jurors names. 

https://conservativefiringline.com/fake-news-cnn-others-demand-names-of-manafort-jurors-judge-says-no-cites-threats/
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27665
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Third day of deliberations.

Are we looking at a split verdict (guilty on some charges, not guilty on others), a hung jury (no unanimous verdict) or a split / hung combo?

I can't imagine he walks on everything, or is convicted on everything.  Juries tend not to spend so much time under those circumstances.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2018, 12:14:52 PM »

Online Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 88

Are we looking at a split verdict (guilty on some charges, not guilty on others), a hung jury (no unanimous verdict) or a split / hung combo?

I can't imagine he walks on everything, or is convicted on everything.  Juries tend not to spend so much time under those circumstances.

Seems like there's at least one count they can't agree on:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/21/jury-in-manafort-trial-asks-judge-about-consensus-issue.html
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 8944

Seems like there's at least one count they can't agree on:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/21/jury-in-manafort-trial-asks-judge-about-consensus-issue.html

hoping they're close to issuing their verdict now that they understand how to handle that situation.  should be interesting how much each side complains --> expecting a clean sweep of either guilty or not guilty and having to deal with getting something in between.

very curious which count(s) the jury could be split on.

« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »

Online Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 88
BREAKING NEWS THE MANAFORT JURY IS.....

.... having lunch.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/manafort-trial/h_4040c8f982fb5a245ab33434a6a3acd1
4 min ago

The jury is having lunch

From CNN's Aaron Cooper

The jury is having lunch and will continue to deliberate, Paul Manafort's attorney Kevin Downing told cameras as he exited the courthouse
Celtics fan for life.