Author Topic: Driving lanes as wide as AUTOBAHN  (Read 2126 times)

Driving lanes as wide as AUTOBAHN
« on: August 02, 2018, 06:14:03 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
With the ability to spread the floor with five 40% three point shooters, a passing big Al All Star Horford,the play making of All Star Hayward and All Star Irving one of the best getting to the hoop.
There is going to be some beautiful basketball.Any type of closeouts, can be attacked by anybody.The Celtics are so talented and Brad is going to orchestrate .
The defense will lead to a blitzkrieg transition offense.That ball will be whizzing around like a pinball adding points.
Then the 2nd teams crushing guard defense with a bruising defensive center that allows the guards to gamble , abuse and harass guards on perimeter and Theis with length for weak side help and foot speed to switch everything  Mook will score points in case Roziers shot is not falling.Semi and Yabusele add a whole different dimension of mass.
Even Wannamaker with Bird adding slashing and baseline cuts for a quick dunk.
Its going to be showtime in Boston starting with those wide Autobahn lanes.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:39:50 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Driving lanes as wide as AUTOBAHN
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 06:28:30 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I've been thinking about this, too.

Not just the shooting, either. Every guy in the starting lineup is capable of playing a pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop either as the ballhandler or screener. There's a lot of versatility here. The C's could wind up with a top 3 offense and top 3 defense.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 07:02:28 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
TP, rollie, inspiring post for the dog days of summer off-season.

The offense will be great.  The defense however, could actually take a small step back as Kyrie takes minutes from Smart, among others.  Plus, I still think there's not enough 'beef' up front.  God forbid Baynes goes down...think about that.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 07:16:56 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

The offense will be great.  The defense however, could actually take a small step back as Kyrie takes minutes from Smart, among others.  Plus, I still think there's not enough 'beef' up front.  God forbid Baynes goes down...think about that.

Kyrie played about 32 mpg last season. Are you expecting him to play more than that this year?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 07:27:44 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I can live with showtime in BOS.

As long as it's not in LA.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 08:02:36 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
You’re making me think of those old VW commercials, Rollie!
Fahrvergnügen - the joy of driving!

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 07:20:31 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Kyrie played about 32 mpg last season. Are you expecting him to play more than that this year?
Obviously I'm talking about the period of time when Kyrie was down which includes the entire playoffs.  Averaged over the whole season, this means the defense will be slightly worse, as I said.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 07:31:47 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Hopefully, they stop trying to post up Hayward like they did last preseason.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 08:21:39 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34

Obviously I'm talking about the period of time when Kyrie was down which includes the entire playoffs.  Averaged over the whole season, this means the defense will be slightly worse, as I said.

I feel like their best defensive stretch was at the beginning of the year and it was with Kyrie playing as far as I remember every game.  Every game after that, their defensive average got worse but still finished out the year as the top defense.

Don't forget, making shots on offense also improves your defense, because it doesn't give the other team as many opportunities to score in transition.  Kyrie although maybe not being as strong of a defensive player could have helped the defense with his shot making since it allowed the defense to set up more often.

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 09:07:07 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I feel like their best defensive stretch was at the beginning of the year and it was with Kyrie playing as far as I remember every game.  Every game after that, their defensive average got worse but still finished out the year as the top defense.

Don't forget, making shots on offense also improves your defense, because it doesn't give the other team as many opportunities to score in transition.  Kyrie although maybe not being as strong of a defensive player could have helped the defense with his shot making since it allowed the defense to set up more often.
kyrie started the season out really hustling on defense but not scoring a ton.  As his offensive output increased his defense seemed to decline.  I think the less offense more defense version is better for this years team if everyone stays healthy.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 10:28:13 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

kyrie started the season out really hustling on defense but not scoring a ton.  As his offensive output increased his defense seemed to decline.  I think the less offense more defense version is better for this years team if everyone stays healthy.
Being a contract year, I highly doubt that we'll get the less offense, more defense version. 

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 01:27:36 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Being a contract year, I highly doubt that we'll get the less offense, more defense version.

On the contrary. With Hayward and Horford fully functional he won't have to take up as big a workload operating the offense as last season, hence more energy for defense.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 08:47:11 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Yeah, they played their best defense last season was when Kyrie was playing.

I actually think that, while Rozier is the better individual defender, Kyrie's size and strength make him more adept at switching onto bigger guys and so more valuable in Stevens' defensive system than he would be in less-switchy defenses.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 09:12:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, they played their best defense last season was when Kyrie was playing.

I actually think that, while Rozier is the better individual defender, Kyrie's size and strength make him more adept at switching onto bigger guys and so more valuable in Stevens' defensive system than he would be in less-switchy defenses.
I also think he makes better reads defensively, and is a better team defender. He obviously doesn't have the physical tools that Rozier does, but I think his BBIQ is miles ahead of TRoz on both ends. As others have pointed out, our best defensive stretch involved Kyrie starting
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)