Author Topic: 76ers vs C's will prob be season opener: Washburn  (Read 2222 times)

76ers vs C's will prob be season opener: Washburn
« on: August 02, 2018, 02:59:13 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Re: 76ers vs C's will prob be season opener: Washburn
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 04:17:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wonder if this is the NBA trying to predict the conference finals, considering the possible match-up involving the Warriors.

Would be awesome to smack the 76ers with a healthy C's. We can't really have a worse season opener than 2017's (I freakin hope at least). I see Philly being far less threatening this season to us, both due to our hopeful health, and their roster losses
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:00:53 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Seems logical. Only other team that makes sense against us would be the Raptors. And although it’s a division rival, it doesn’t carry the same appeal as Boston-Philly.

I always get antsy around this time waiting for the schedule to be released. The draft is done, the free agency dust has settled, we know our team and just about every other one.... now let’s see when we play who and what not. It’s the last thing to look forward to before training camp opens (last year’s late blockbuster not included).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 07:32:34 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Good.

Let the rivalry commence EARLY.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 09:46:50 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So if we get Philly opeining noght, which makes sense, who do with get Christmas Day?  The warriors?  The lakers?

Do the prime Christmas Day matchups typically involve teams playing for the first time?  That would probably eliminate the raptors.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 09:59:54 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Will wager all of my TPs that it's Lakers Celtics on Christmas...
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 10:45:06 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
So if we get Philly opeining noght, which makes sense, who do with get Christmas Day?  The warriors?  The lakers?

Do the prime Christmas Day matchups typically involve teams playing for the first time?  That would probably eliminate the raptors.

I imagine they put GS and LAL for Christmas Day, or throw Boston in there to replace one of those two.

Like the Philly/Boston potential opening night game, and hopefully it’s in Boston.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

I imagine they put GS and LAL for Christmas Day, or throw Boston in there to replace one of those two.

Like the Philly/Boston potential opening night game, and hopefully it’s in Boston.
Would rather that game in Philly.  Would be sweet to spank them in their own house to start the year.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 11:39:32 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd totally be fine with that as an opener.  TNT/ESPN want flashy matchups for the opener & that would certainly do it. 

In regards to Xmas day, I have to imagine you'll see GSW-LAL as the anchor matchup so you'll probably get an early to mid afternoon game involving BOS almost certainly against an Eastern Conference team.  I'm thinking TOR or NYK.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 11:44:42 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Philly-Celtics makes total sense but I'd be shocked if the Lakers aren't on opening night. I guess they try and get teams that were successful the last year, but that doesn't quite explain 1st round losers the Thunder over the Rockets who not only had the league's best record but just added Carmelo (still a big name regardless of reputation).

I don't know if they'll try for Lakers/Celtics or Lakers/Warriors for the Christmas matchup. Thinking maybe the former so they can do Rockets/Warriors then.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 11:51:12 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Philly-Celtics makes total sense but I'd be shocked if the Lakers aren't on opening night. I guess they try and get teams that were successful the last year, but that doesn't quite explain 1st round losers the Thunder over the Rockets who not only had the league's best record but just added Carmelo (still a big name regardless of reputation).

I don't know if they'll try for Lakers/Celtics or Lakers/Warriors for the Christmas matchup. Thinking maybe the former so they can do Rockets/Warriors then.

Good question. I'm thinking maybe they go with Rockets/Thunder in a night spot, maybe?

I also wonder how the NBA will treat Raptors/Spurs. 

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 11:53:54 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Good question. I'm thinking maybe they go with Rockets/Thunder in a night spot, maybe?

Sticking to my idea that it would be the first matchup between teams, I suppose celtics-rockets would also be possible.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 12:04:52 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Those are two B teams in terms of marketability/interest, so probably like a Thursday night TNT game in no particularly special place.

Here's my bet for the XMas Day quintupleheader

Milwaukee at Philly (mandatory low-wattage noon East game)
Boston at Lakers (marquee game #1, has to be in LA to plug movies)
Rockets at Warriors (marquee #2)
Raptors at Thunder (night game #1)
Hornets at Blazers (mandatory low-wattage 10:30 Pacific Time Zone game)

They might find a spot for the TWolves in there too, probably instead of the poor Raptors who deserve it much more than them. Jazz also deserve it on merit but not on marketability.

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 12:12:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Those are two B teams in terms of marketability/interest, so probably like a Thursday night TNT game in no particularly special place.

Here's my bet for the XMas Day quintupleheader

Milwaukee at Philly (mandatory low-wattage noon East game)
Boston at Lakers (marquee game #1, has to be in LA to plug movies)
Rockets at Warriors (marquee #2)
Raptors at Thunder (night game #1)
Hornets at Blazers (mandatory low-wattage 10:30 Pacific Time Zone game)

They might find a spot for the TWolves in there too, probably instead of the poor Raptors who deserve it much more than them. Jazz also deserve it on merit but not on marketability.

That'd be a helluva Xmas Day.

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
They've had too many LeBron/GSW christmas matchups in recent past.

Let's bring back the heat and rivalry: Celtics/Lakers. I still want payback for what happened in 2009 and that 19-game winning streak. Would be better to face the Lakers at Staples, and crush them in front of their fans.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)