Author Topic: Speculation: Emmanuel Mudiay as the target of a Kyrie Trade  (Read 5082 times)

Speculation: Emmanuel Mudiay as the target of a Kyrie Trade
« on: August 01, 2018, 11:43:12 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Kyrie walks into the office and say's "Danny I appreciate you pulling me out of that situation, and giving me the platform to show I could ball without LeBron but I'm signing with New York next year. I'm in the last year of my deal, you know my value isn't that high to 90% of teams in the league, trade me to the Knicks now and take back some assets as compensation for smoothing out the transition.

What do you look in a return for from New York?

They're going to want to keep Nitilikina, Kevin Knox and probably Mitchell Robinson. Porzingis is obviously off the table.

What of their assets would you target?

I vote you couldn't ask for a better fit than Emmanuel Mudiay.

Terry walks into the starting role but without Kyrie, we still would have a decent sized hole at 3rd guard. Mudiay/Smart could offer an interesting dynamic off the bench. It was only 3 years ago that Mudiay went 7'th in the draft, ahead of strong prospects in Justise Winslow, Myles Turner, Devin Booker and Terry Rozier himself.

He has good size at the guard at 6-5, 200lb and is cost controlled through 2019/2020. We've seen Brad Stevens get incredible season's out of players that the league had turned its back on. Mudiay even had the near SMU connection with Semi Ojeyle who he would now be sharing the bench rotation with.

Mudiay/Smart may be one of the worst shooting backcourts in the league but they'd also be a big imposing matchup problem for many of the teams out there.

If we have to lose Kyrie lets take a swing at a distressed asset with the potential to bring our guard core to new heights. Let's get Emmanuel Mudiay.

Re: Speculation: Emmanuel Mudiay as the target of a Kyrie Trade
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 11:45:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Kyrie walks into the office and say's "Danny I appreciate pulling me out of that situation, and giving me the platform to show I could ball without LeBron but I'm signing with New York next year. I'm in the last year of my deal, you know my value isn't that high to 90% of teams in the league, trade me to the Knicks now and take back some assets as compensation for smoothing out the transition.

They're going to want to keep Nitilikina, Kevin Knox and probably Mitchell Robinson. Porzingis is obviously off the table.

Terry walks into the starting role but without Kyrie, we still would have a decent sized hole at 3rd guard. Mudiay/Smart could offer an interesting dynamic off the bench. It was only 3 years ago that Mudiay went 7'th in the draft, ahead of strong prospects in Justise Winslow, Myles Turner, Devin Booker and Terry Rozier himself.

He has good size at the guard at 6-5, 200lb and is cost controlled through 2019/2020. We've seen Brad Stevens get incredible season's out of players that the league had turned its back on. Mudiay even had the near SMU connection with Semi Ojeyle who he would now be sharing the bench rotation with.

Mudiay/Smart may be one of the worst shooting backcourts in the league but they'd also be a big imposing matchup problem for many of the teams out there.

If we have to lose Kyrie lets take a swing at a distressed asset with the potential to bring our guard core to new heights. Let's get Emmanuel Mudiay.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 11:56:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Jeesh. It's that time of the offseason I see.

We've moved past talking about rumours with no substance. We're moving on to discussing potential returns in regards to the rumours with no substance!

Mudiay is a pretty garbage player. His highest % was this season, going at .388, while shooting .318 from deep. His per-minute output has not improved at all during his time in the NBA, which is very worrying. He's just not really good, at all. Averaging around double the to's that TRoz does is also bad.
No interest whatsoever in the worst shooting backcourt in the league.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 11:57:36 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Kyrie walks into the office and say's "Danny I appreciate pulling me out of that situation, and giving me the platform to show I could ball without LeBron but I'm signing with New York next year. I'm in the last year of my deal, you know my value isn't that high to 90% of teams in the league, trade me to the Knicks now and take back some assets as compensation for smoothing out the transition.

Well what asset would you target then? If you knew Kyrie was gone what kind of return would you expect? You're not trading Kyrie Irving or treating one year of a soon to bolt Kyrie Irving

I remember Dunc'd On was relatively high on the Knicks acquisition of Mudiay as a strict value proposition. He couldn't crack the somewhat mess of a Denver rotation but ya not trolling think there's something more than we've seen from Mudiay.

Better option than Jabari Bird.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 12:01:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It’s got to be trolling, right?  Mudiay was worth expiring Doug McDermott and a 2nd in February, and now he’s the center of a Kyrie trade because Kevin Knox is somehow off limits because the Lnicks said so?

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 12:01:52 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Well what asset would you target then? If you knew Kyrie was gone what kind of return would you expect? You're not trading Kyrie Irving or treating one year of a soon to bolt Kyrie Irving

I remember Dunc'd On was relatively high on the Knicks acquisition of Mudiay as a strict value proposition. He couldn't crack the somewhat mess of a Denver rotation but ya not trolling think there's something more than we've seen from Mudiay.

Kawaii just got traded in a very similar situation coming off an extreme injury that nobody is sure if he is even healthy from (lot more complex injury than Kyrie's knee). He returned a second team all NBA player and Poetl and an ok draft pick. We are trading Kyrie for a package headlined by a guy that would probably get a minimum contract offer on the open market?
I wouldn't really target any one on the Knicks but we could trade him to any team in the league for more than Mudiay.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 12:02:04 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Mudiay???  Yikes!!!  Given your scenario unless we're getting the Knicks 2019 pick with little to no protection, you just play out the season with Irving. 

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 12:04:09 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

I'm sure you could get at least both Ntilikina and Mudiay for Ky. Rie. Ir. Ving. Also, you want some expiring salary coming back..

If this super unlikely scenario did play out, the Knicks would be 99.9% confident he would stay, so you get that bargaining leverage..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 12:22:50 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Honestly I think Kyrie just plays out the year in Boston regardless.

Like I said I think New York is perfectly content to wait out the year before offering any of their biggest assets. Look what L.A. did this summer keeping the powder dry for 2019 holding on to all of their young talent.

I'd rather have Nitikina or Knox but I just don't see New York offering either when they could just wait it out. If we make the trade I think a deal would involve Mudiay and their protected first round pick as their top 2 assets.

I'm not saying replace Kyrie's production with Mudiay he'd just be another piece in our system to shore up the bench. Just think there's more he has yet to show, and if anyone could get it out of him it's Stevens.

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 02:19:58 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Bad cap management.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 05:16:58 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
This proposed deal is as lopsided as the Horford for Dedmon proposal earlier this year.

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 06:01:13 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
In such an unlikely scenario, I wouldn't necessarily trade him to the Knicks.

So the conversation would go something like this:

Kyrie walks into the office and say's "Danny I appreciate you pulling me out of that situation, and giving me the platform to show I could ball without LeBron but I'm signing with New York next year. I'm in the last year of my deal, you know my value isn't that high to 90% of teams in the league, trade me to the Knicks now and take back some assets as compensation for smoothing out the transition."

Danny:  "I hate to hear that Kyrie as we are in the process of building something really special here in Boston, but if that's your basketball decision, and your mind is set, then I'll definitely look at trading you.  I doubt the Knicks will offer anything near what your value is because they obviously know you want to play there.  So, if they lowball us, then we will entertain other offers."

And at that point, best offer wins...whether it's Sacramento or Golden State (worst to first options :) ).

Bottom line:  Again, in this unlikely scenario, Boston has no loyalty towards Kyrie and unless the Knicks are willing to part with adequate value for him in 2018/2019, then we trade him to whichever team can make the most of his talent as a rental and provide the best compensation.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 06:14:03 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
If you are asking whether I would give up a year of Kyrie Irving for whatever is left of Emmanuel Mudiay’s contract, the answer is no every day and twice on Sunday. We have an excellent chance of making the finals with Kyrie. Even if he walks before the following season, I wouldn’t trade that for Mudiay.

It’s hard to see a situation where I would let him go, or honestly, where he’s trying to force himself out this year. Is there even a rumor of that?

If we are really trying to imagine what it would take, I don’t think the Knicks have any players I would want enough to give up Irving next year. Even if this was a Kawhi situation, who would we want?  Would you take, say, Knox, Ntilikina, and whoever is the best available veteran with a tolerable contract on that hot mess of a team - maybe Burke or Lee? I’m not excited; that would be trading a proven all star for what? Maybe some potential down the road? I don’t want an injured Porzingis, who wasn’t a great match for us even before his injury. You would definitely see who else wants Irving and what they’re willing to pay. Look at what the SAS did; they didn’t just dump Leonard to LA.

But again, the main thing is there’s no sign of Kyrie forcing himself out early, and this year he’s very very valuable to the Cs.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:28:59 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 06:48:28 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The premise is incorrect:  It is unlikely that Kyrie demands a trade mid-season.  If anything, Ainge would take the first step and trade him.  However, even that seems unlikely, IMO.  I predict he lets Kyrie's contract expire and uses the cap space to pay Rozier and possibly pick up a veteran.

Mudiay? Ha.  They don't need him and trading for him sends a bad message to others in the backcourt.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:54:19 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 07:59:19 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
As others havs said - no way

- Ntilikina and Knox would definitely not be off the table. The Lakers currently don't have Paul George because they reportedly were willing to wait for him to be a FA.
- One year of Kyrie to our championship-contending team is worth WAY more than Mudiay.
- Other teams on the open market would give up quite a bit more (again, see Leonard and George).

Even if Kyrie promised to re-sign after this year and Rozier said he was on his way out, I wouldn't trade him for Mudiay. He isn't a 'trash' player, but he isn't currently much of an asset either.