Author Topic: Will Kyrie mess up Ainge plan?  (Read 6546 times)

Will Kyrie mess up Ainge plan?
« on: August 01, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Kyrie to NY heating up on Cowherd.

Re: Will Kyrie mess up Ainge plan?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
ppffft.  Chalk it up to off-season search for topics.  Cowherd looks for provocative topics, that's his gig.  If he can't find them, he makes them up.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:19:48 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Kyrie to NY heating up on Cowherd.
Well, Cowherd is a clown so I wouldn't pay much attention to what he says.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 12:22:22 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
If Kyrie-to-NY is a legit possibility, it'll be interesting to see whether Danny trades him midseason (to get something for him) or decides that the team's best title chance this season is with Kyrie (and thus holds on to him and, if Kyrie leaves, is content with the cap space that'll free up).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 12:28:15 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
If Kyrie-to-NY is a legit possibility, it'll be interesting to see whether Danny trades him midseason (to get something for him) or decides that the team's best title chance this season is with Kyrie (and thus holds on to him and, if Kyrie leaves, is content with the cap space that'll free up).

Yes, it would not be the end of the world if Irving gets traded or moves on to New York next summer.  Frees up $ to pay other players and gives Scary Terry a starting spot in Boston.  I don't want to start a debate about who is better KI or TR, but Terry is going to continue to improve AND he actually plays pretty good defense!  Kyrie defensive effort (or lack there of) troubles me.

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 12:35:46 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Kyrie will be playing in New York next season and the foreseeable future. He will just be in the visitor's locker room as a Boston Celtic.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 01:05:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
It seems to me that most of the Kyrie to New York stuff is coming from sourceless talking heads like Felger and Maz or Cowherd.

I think Kyrie is a quirky guy so it's tough to predict exactly what he's going to do and he's already (1) shown a willingness to leave a contender and (2) shown an interest in the Knicks and (3) shown an interest in playing with Jimmy Butler.

However, I still think he's more than likely to remain in Boston.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Yes, it would not be the end of the world if Irving gets traded or moves on to New York next summer.  Frees up $ to pay other players and gives Scary Terry a starting spot in Boston.  I don't want to start a debate about who is better KI or TR, but Terry is going to continue to improve AND he actually plays pretty good defense!  Kyrie defensive effort (or lack there of) troubles me.

It would not be good.  Kyrie is our Curry- and in a world where we'll be taking on the real Curry, Durant, Klay and Dray (and DMC) on the same juggernaut opponent- losing Kyrie would definitely hurt even though we have an amazing coach to maximize our substantial remaining talent.  We'd need to trade him for quality picks and hopefully clear cap space.

We don't know how GH will return to form.  Without Kyrie, GS could potentially have the top 3 players in a matchup with us (Steph, KD, Klay) until that team dissolves / Tatum steps up.

Terry Rozier is a nice player, a starting caliber PG with upside, but he will never be as good as Kyrie was at age 21, and Kyrie's only getting better.  Rozier is maybe a top 60-75 player at best at age 24, but Kyrie was a top 12-15 player last year at 25.  That's a colossal difference.

I'm not buying the hype that Kyrie's going to leave.  He has the ultimate player's coach, he's the top dog in a major market on a top 3 team with a chance to win it all, and he's a smart guy who has to care that our team braintrust is elite and will ensure his team is competitive.

But if the hype heats up throughout the year like the Lebron to LA talk, I might start to squirm.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 01:45:08 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

It would not be good.  Kyrie is our Curry- and in a world where we'll be taking on the real Curry, Durant, Klay and Dray (and DMC) on the same juggernaut opponent- losing Kyrie would definitely hurt even though we have an amazing coach to maximize our substantial remaining talent.  We'd need to trade him for quality picks and hopefully clear cap space.

We don't know how GH will return to form.  Without Kyrie, GS could potentially have the top 3 players in a matchup with us (Steph, KD, Klay) until that team dissolves / Tatum steps up.

Terry Rozier is a nice player, a starting caliber PG with upside, but he will never be as good as Kyrie was at age 21, and Kyrie's only getting better.  Rozier is maybe a top 60-75 player at best at age 24, but Kyrie was a top 12-15 player last year at 25.  That's a colossal difference.

I'm not buying the hype that Kyrie's going to leave.  He has the ultimate player's coach, he's the top dog in a major market on a top 3 team with a chance to win it all, and he's a smart guy who has to care that our team braintrust is elite and will ensure his team is competitive.

But if the hype heats up throughout the year like the Lebron to LA talk, I might start to squirm.

None of that matters if Kyrie doesn't want to be here. Who knows what Kyrie will do, but I am actually OK if he leaves. Our team will probably take a step back for a year or two but with Tatum and Brown's development we'll still be contending long-term..

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 01:55:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Cowherd is not a credible source. He's just repeating the past rumors on a day he needed another block for his show.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 01:55:53 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
It seems to me that most of the Kyrie to New York stuff is coming from sourceless talking heads like Felger and Maz or Cowherd.

I think Kyrie is a quirky guy so it's tough to predict exactly what he's going to do and he's already (1) shown a willingness to leave a contender and (2) shown an interest in the Knicks and (3) shown an interest in playing with Jimmy Butler.

However, I still think he's more than likely to remain in Boston.

What's making me nervous is that NYK seems surprisingly competently managed recently.

The draft is a very difficult game to consistently win, even for the best GMs or GMs who enjoy many high picks, but NY has looked surprisingly competent in the draft since picking KP. 

What's notable is that all 3 of their top 10 picks were surprises, and they could nail 2 of 3 of those surprise top 10 picks and come away with all stars.  That's impressive because they went against consensus, but also outperformed the pack.  They also *may* have landed a starting big and a rotation swing with their two 2nd round picks, which would be very good work.

-KP at #4 in 2015 is the best lottery pick of that draft & a franchise PF.  KP was their only pick.

-2018's duo of Knox at #9 and Robinson at #36 is unproven, but could comprise an exciting young starting frontcourt with KP.  They both have real upside- Knox could be an All Star.

-In 2017 they may have missed on Ntilkina at #8 over DSJ at #9 and Donovan Mitchell #13, but Ntilkina is still super young.  Time will tell if it was a minor miss or a major one.

-Their 2017 2nd Round pick, Dotson at #44, was a solid pick.  His VORP is -0.1 and he posted 0.6 WS.  The only 2nd Rounders with a VORP of 0+ and more WS were Ivan Rabb at #35 (0.1 VORP, 1.2 WS), Jordan Bell at #38 (1.2, 2.9) & Sindarius Thornwell at #48 (0.1, 1).

It could be appealing to Kyrie to see the big NY market team, his hometown team, with smart management that can support him, already having secured elite junior talent Kyrie can lead. 

If they are awful this year and get a top 3 pick, would Kyrie gamble on being the unquestioned alpha dog on his hometown team with a promising core of:

Kyrie Irving (age 26, potential future MVP)
RJ Barrett OR Cam Reddish OR Nassir Little (age 19, potential future AS)
Kevin Knox  (age 20, potential future AS)
Kristaps Porzingis (age 23, potential All-NBA Team player)
Mitchell Robinson (age 20, potential All-Defensive Team player)

I hope he doesn't.  A lot would have to go right for them, but that's a frightening young core.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

None of that matters if Kyrie doesn't want to be here. Who knows what Kyrie will do, but I am actually OK if he leaves. Our team will probably take a step back for a year or two but with Tatum and Brown's development we'll still be contending long-term..

Yes, none of that matters if he doesn't want to be here.

But it doesn't matter whether he wants to be here or doesn't- if he leaves, it's a problem.  We would be losing our best player for nothing.  It wouldn't be insurmountable but it'd set us back at a time when the landscape has never been more competitive (IE the West / Warriors).

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Yes, none of that matters if he doesn't want to be here.

But it doesn't matter whether he wants to be here or doesn't- if he leaves, it's a problem.  We would be losing our best player for nothing.  It wouldn't be insurmountable but it'd set us back at a time when the landscape has never been more competitive (IE the West / Warriors).

I'd be skeptical. Knicks couldn't pay him as much. They will in all likelihood be one of the worst teams in the league next year. Zinger is always an injury concern. Worst owner in sports.

IDK, what can we do really? Trade him before the deadline for the Knicks unprotected 1st along with his bird rights?

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
It will absolutely hurt losing your best player.  Even if Kyrie walks the C's won't have cap space unless Horford opts out.  If Horford opts in and Kyrie leaves the C's will resign Terry.  They will still be title contenders but not as high of a title contender with Kyrie.  Hopefully the Sac pick is #2 and we get a Kyrie replacement if he leaves.  A lot of if's next year. 

As for the Kyrie to NYC rumors even if they can sign Kyrie and Butler the Knicks are still not the top team in the east and have no shot at the Western teams.  Kyrie has a better chance at a title in Boston then anywhere and winning in Boston is unlike winning anywhere else.  Ask Pierce, KG, Allen, Rondo.  There are no other franchises like Boston other then maybe LA and we all know he'd never go there.

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 02:12:09 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
I personally think the worst case scenario is that Kyrie wants a shorter two-year deal from the Celtics so he can contend in the short term while waiting to see if the Knicks actually improve enough that he actually wants to play there. Going there in the middle of a rebuild seems a little bit of a bridge too far at the moment for a guy used to going deep into the playoffs. Imagine going from the Finals to a 30-win squad. With a max upside of like 45 wins.