Hayward's position

Wing (3-2)
9 (45%)
Swing (3-4)
11 (55%)
strictly a SF
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Hayward: is he a wing or a swing?  (Read 4129 times)

Re: Hayward: is he a wing or a swing?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2018, 07:27:15 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Am I the only one that think it really doesn't matter?  Our starting lineup last year game one
Kyrie / Brown / Gordon / Tatum / Horford

After how well Brown and Tatum played last year why on earth would we put one of them on the bench unless there was such an overwhelming matchup reason at the center position?

I gotta think that the KI/JB/GH/JT/AH starting lineup continues unless something goes wrong.

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2018, 07:40:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hayward can pretty clearly play the 2-3-4 - I don't think anybody would doubt this. I've always felt that a 'swing' should be able to play small-ball center in a pinch. Guys like Morris and Jerebko might be more typical swings who fit this description. If I go by this rule, then I guess Hayward is a wing.

But how about somebody like Smart? Of course he is considered a ball-handler, but everybody seems to acknowledge that he can comfortably play SF and has even proven he can guard PFs when necessary.

Positionless basketball seems to be en vogue right now and the Cs are right at the forefront of this trend.

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2018, 08:16:51 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
The question of whether Hayward or Tatum plays the 4 is really only an issue on the defensive end. Both of those guys will shred just about any big that tries to guard them. There are few teams that have two bigs with enough offensive talent talent that this will be much of a problem. In those few games, CBS may decide to start Baynes and play more mulitple big lineups, but against most teams there will be no problem going with Irving, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Horford. The rebounding might be a problem, but we have seen that does not overly concern Brad and Danny.