Poll

Expectations of Robert Williams this upcoming season?

Major contributor
3 (4.4%)
Minor contributor
30 (44.1%)
Maine Red Claws/G League
33 (48.5%)
Bust
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: What are your expectations from Robert Williams this year?  (Read 8333 times)

Re: What are your expectations from Robert Williams this year?
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2018, 05:45:02 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Hopefully nothing more than G-League and Dino.

Like the pick, but not for now.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2018, 07:11:17 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I voted g-league all year, but frankly I feel like I'm being optimistic.  Very surprised there have been no votes so far for Bust.  I don't want it, but it could happen, actually quite easily.

How would you differentiate between G League and Bust?  He gets cut?

I'm of the mind a 27th pick can't be a bust, but I just can't believe he'd be cut. They could always find a trade for a guy with his physical attributes. I mean The Warriors can find minutes for Jordan Bell lol

Oh, I don’t think he gets cut either.  I’m just wondering what Surferdad’s threshold was for bust in Year 1 in a poll that has G League as a separate option, and why he was surprised no one chose it.  About the only thing I have is that he gets cut or is suspended for a significant period, neither of which seem like scenarios one expects to play out.
You would have to ask the OP about how to differentiate g-league from bust.  I was just saying that no one chose bust (at that point) which seemed surprising since some folks on CB seemed to label him that way, already.  In any case, the point is moot since at least one person has now voted bust.  Can/did that person comment?

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2018, 08:18:05 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I think a bust at 27 would mean that he's not good enough to make a G league team in his rookie year. I don't see that happening.

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2018, 09:43:24 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I kinda feel bad for those of you thinking Robert Williams will contribute in any way this season. then again you guys do it to yourselves...

Why can't he? I mean Stevens even played the utterly useless Yabu in the PLAYOFFS last year lol. It's not completely insane to think he might see the floor some this season

"seeing the floor" and contributing are 2 different things. he will play for us early but he's not getting a reg. rotation role.

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2018, 10:20:02 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
My definition of bust is basically not making it in the NBA. I guess really the bust option wasn't for this upcoming season alone.

IMO though I think the potential is there by the latter half of the season for Brad Stevens to use Robert Williams for tough D kind of like he utilized Semi last year.

One thing is for sure, RW has the potential to be the best defensive player on our team. The question is whether he has the mentality to reach that potential. He without a doubt has the physical tools to get there.

I don't feel like it's a given that he's not going to contribute this year.

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I think a bust at 27 would mean that he's not good enough to make a G league team in his rookie year. I don't see that happening.

He's on our roster, so he doesn't need to "make" a G League team, he's on it whenever we send him there. 

Bust to me in season one would be playing poorly in the G league.  Although it's usually too early to call a guy a bust after one year.

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2018, 10:39:21 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'll go bust. I hope he's a player and proves it but right now I'm not feeling good about this kid at all!

What, to you, is a bust in year 1 in which staying in the G League is also an option?

I'm not sure mentally he is ready to be an adult and realize the opportunity he has. He has the talent bot sure he has the motivation or the maturity. Basically I'm worried he will be suspended by the team many times after they get sick of him showing up late or not at all several times.

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I voted for GLeague, though I do think he spends a fair amount of time in Boston, I just don't think he will do much of anything.  Maybe a game here or there will show flashes, but I'm not expecting him to do much of anything on this team this year.  Hopefully in the future he takes over Baynes role.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2018, 11:33:49 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Robert Williams spotted on the end of a Jaylen lob at Chris Johnson training camp-on video over on reddit
Jaylen was killin it, the guy is deadly now.

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2018, 12:29:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Robert Williams spotted on the end of a Jaylen lob at Chris Johnson training camp-on video over on reddit

sweet.  Can someone post it here?

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2018, 05:48:15 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I voted for "minor contributor," but I think that's a best-case scenario this season—in other words, I expect that he'll be in Maine a lot, and not as a tourist.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2018, 06:03:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

sweet.  Can someone post it here?

yes, if anyone has a link, please share.   I wanna see that!

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2018, 08:12:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
25 pt 15 rebounds ....i be happy  :)

Rookie of the year!  ;D

second team all star . 

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2018, 08:35:45 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Unlike many I don't expect him to see a single minute playing in Maine this season. 

Weed is legal there and the last thing the Celtics need is for the Big Sleepy to have that kind of temptation at his doorstep.