Poll

Expectations of Robert Williams this upcoming season?

Major contributor
3 (4.4%)
Minor contributor
30 (44.1%)
Maine Red Claws/G League
33 (48.5%)
Bust
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: What are your expectations from Robert Williams this year?  (Read 8372 times)

Re: What are your expectations from Robert Williams this year?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 01:54:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Nothing. It'd be great if he could show a few flashes in some non-garbage time here but honestly he just needs to show competence and development in the G-League and not overdose or whatever. 

Anyone expecting him to genuinely contribute or even be given a real opportunity to do it (barring major injury problems knock on wood) is setting the bar way too high.

"AND NOT OVERDOSE OR WHATEVER" seems like quite an accusation and well below the belt .
There is no reason a missed flight deserves that kind of slander.-i hope you edit that
Sully had a battering ,Marcus punched out his mirror and Rondo his shower.
Pierce was in the wrong place and got knifed
Morris got caught but nobody slurs the mother of a Philly kid.
Rozier ate spaghetti sandwich's and dormitory life was really wild at Louisville.
Marcus has overslept and Sully over ate.

I love you Rollie  :). I agree plenty of colorful pasts on the team, some of which veer much more toward the sketchy or criminal than the weird sandwich area. The stuff that doesn't involve physical harm can be kind of endearing.

Anyway I edited the thing, was just being flip, didn't mean to be slandering the guy on a dying basketball forum. For the record I wasn't one of the ones burying the guy for missing a flight. I find his flakiness kinda endearing too.

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 02:48:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Yabu played 235 minutes last year. I imagine Robert Williams will play around the same amount. Maybe more if he gets the defense fast.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 02:55:07 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yabu played 235 minutes last year. I imagine Robert Williams will play around the same amount. .

Although 125 of those minutes were played in the final month after Theis went down, so it wouldn’t remotely surprise me if Williams played less — especially if the Celts aren’t jettisoning Yabu himself.

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 04:03:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Brad will use him, situation-ally, more than others here are predicting.

His skill set for lobs, blocking shots, grabbing rebounds exceeds anyone on our roster.

Not saying he will play a bunch. Just that situations will arise, early and not infrequently, when he will the best player to address them.  And Brad won't hesitate to use him. This is practical Brad we're talking about. Not intractable Doc.

Only one with comparable skill set on roster is Theis, and we don't even know how many minutes he can handle coming back from knee surgery.

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 04:32:13 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
we are a contender, probably gonna get 65+ wins this year

my expectations are literally none, everything is a plus.

it would be nice to see some potential from the kid, enough to say, hey let's give him a shot next year

and let me correct myself, my expetations are:

1. stay healthy
2. do a solid job in the d league
3. be ready to contribute if your number gets called
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 04:54:34 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I kinda feel bad for those of you thinking Robert Williams will contribute in any way this season. then again you guys do it to yourselves...

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 04:57:31 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Well, the bar has been set pretty low with the guy. Not really expecting anything. He'll likely be in Maine all year because, if healthy, won't sniff any minutes in Boston.

So, my expectations for him are for him to not lose his wallet and wake up on time for practice.

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 05:02:01 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I kinda feel bad for those of you thinking Robert Williams will contribute in any way this season. then again you guys do it to yourselves...

Why can't he? I mean Stevens even played the utterly useless Yabu in the PLAYOFFS last year lol. It's not completely insane to think he might see the floor some this season

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 05:03:21 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I also think he’ll spend a lot of time with Maine barring injuries. If he’s doing the things the team ask of him, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him in Boston later in the season, playing big minutes against the teams like Atlanta and Sacramento, and getting into games in back to backs and other games where the Celtics try to conserve minutes for their vets.

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 05:11:35 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I voted g-league all year, but frankly I feel like I'm being optimistic.  Very surprised there have been no votes so far for Bust.  I don't want it, but it could happen, actually quite easily.

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I voted g-league all year, but frankly I feel like I'm being optimistic.  Very surprised there have been no votes so far for Bust.  I don't want it, but it could happen, actually quite easily.

How would you differentiate between G League and Bust?  He gets cut?

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018, 05:19:52 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

How would you differentiate between G League and Bust?  He gets cut?

I'm of the mind a 27th pick can't be a bust, but I just can't believe he'd be cut. They could always find a trade for a guy with his physical attributes. I mean The Warriors can find minutes for Jordan Bell lol

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 05:26:39 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Nothing. It'd be great if he could show a few flashes in some non-garbage time here but honestly he just needs to show competence and development in the G-League and not overdose or whatever. 

Anyone expecting him to genuinely contribute or even be given a real opportunity to do it (barring major injury problems knock on wood) is setting the bar way too high.

WTH man. That is seriously waaaaay out of line.

Mods?

I’m a Robert Williams guy , but don’t think fairweather quote is accurate...,he said overdose on the Snoooze button, meaning that He hopes he doesn’t use the snooze button too often.

EDit:

fairweather didn’t say what you quoted “ overdose or whatever “. You left out a few important qualifying words.

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2018, 05:31:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Mods?

I’m a Robert Williams guy , but don’t think fairweather quote is accurate...,he said overdose on the Snoooze button, meaning that He hopes he doesn’t use the snooze button too often.

EDit:

fairweather didn’t say what you quoted “ overdose or whatever “. You left out a few important qualifying words.

No, I edited it because people got mad. They're quoting the original.

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2018, 05:31:35 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Mods?

EDit:

He thankfully edited his post. I simply directly quoted his initial post.