Poll

Poll: How many games would the Celtics' bench unit win in a full season? (you can vote for two)

Less than 20
13 (23.6%)
21-25
22 (40%)
26-30
9 (16.4%)
31-35
4 (7.3%)
36-40
6 (10.9%)
41 or more
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Poll: How many games would the Celtics' bench unit win in a full season?  (Read 4108 times)

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Just curious how green the green-tinted lenses are.

Here is the bench unit as I am projecting them. I base this off the projected closing the game lineup of Irving-Brown-Tatum-Hayward-Horford.

Guard: Rozier, Smart, Wanamaker
Wing: Bird, Lemon
Swing: Morris, Ojeleye
Bigs: Theis, Baynes, Williams, Yabusele

It seems to me like this team would struggle to score 100 points, but their defense would be pretty good.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:48:55 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

Offline jdrocko

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I went with 21-25; even if I think they would put up a fight every single game the total lack of reliable offense should be too huge to overcome in the long period (not mentioning a pretty clear hole at the SF) .
Assuming there are no injuries, they would need Bird to be a scoring threat, Yabu a solid double double PF and Williams a difensive anchor to consistently win games.

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
A lottery team in all likelihood.

An injury to Rozier or Morris would absolutely devastate their offense.

I'm thinking win total in the teens at best.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I went with 21-25; even if I think they would put up a fight every single game the total lack of reliable offense should be too huge to overcome in the long period (not mentioning a pretty clear hole at the SF) .
Assuming there are no injuries, they would need Bird to be a scoring threat, Yabu a solid double double PF and Williams a difensive anchor to consistently win games.

Those games would be really, really painful to watch. Think of this lineup when the reserves are in: Smart, Wanamaker, Ojeleye, Theis, Baynes. Pity the poor rims! When your best creator is Marcus Morris and the defense can key in on him, you have a serious problem.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think they’d challenge for the worst record of all-time.  11 or 12 wins.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Less than 20.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Assuming Brad is still the coach, I guess 38.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Starting lineup would be something like Rozier/Smart/Ojeleye/Morris/Baynes (Theis may replace Ojeleye as a starter), with a bench lineup of Wanamaker/Bird/???/Theis/Williams

We would get creamed most games, and be odds-on favorites for the #1 lottery spot.
I'm bitter.

• Paul Silas
If CBS goes with a more traditional lineup with Baynes starting and Brown on the bench, how does that change your opinion?

Smart-Rozier-Brown-Morris-Theis with Williams-Yabusele-Ojeleye-Bird-Wanamaker off the bench.

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
That is one bad team. 15w ....probalby biased though

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If CBS goes with a more traditional lineup with Baynes starting and Brown on the bench, how does that change your opinion?

Smart-Rozier-Brown-Morris-Theis with Williams-Yabusele-Ojeleye-Bird-Wanamaker off the bench.
very little for me.  maybe a couple of more wins from that team, but not enough to make any real difference.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

• Paul Silas

very little for me.  maybe a couple of more wins from that team, but not enough to make any real difference.

I'm with you. I like Brown a lot. I think he would help that unit's scoring a lot, but I'm not sure it changes much.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHI/2016.html

I mean the floor is probably 10 in the Modern NBA if you bother to pick up replacement level d-leaguers.

I guess a lot depends on does this hypothetical team try to win? Then they'd probably get to 20, just because they'd be playing teams deliberately trying to lose late in the season.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I went with less than 20. There is a reason why they are bench players.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
less than 20.  no reliable scoring at all and only really 2 guys that might break 20 on a given night in Rozier and Morris. 

D would probably be pretty decent for the most part but if either Bird or Lemon is a starting SG, you're team is toast.