Author Topic: Preemptive "Don't Worry About Tatum's Lower 3P%" Thread  (Read 2776 times)

Preemptive "Don't Worry About Tatum's Lower 3P%" Thread
« on: July 29, 2018, 05:28:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Tatum was scorching from 3 last season, finishing at .434 for the season, best on the team and good for 8th in the entire league. I'm planning on a slight regression.

I don't think he's going to lose his stroke but those are lofty numbers and I expect an expanded role in the offense. He'll see more time as a primary ballhandler, or at least primary scorer, with bench units and that means more creating which could mean tougher shots. I don't think he'll drop off a cliff but if he shoots 39% from 3 this season, I won't be surprised and I don't think we should panic.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Preemptive "Don't Worry About Tatum's Lower 3P%" Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 05:32:37 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
No one is going to panic if Tatum shoots 39% from three.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

If the forums still exist in March I maybe have to bump this quote.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 05:55:01 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
37% on bigger volume, about 5/6 a game. Still good
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 05:59:23 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd be surprised if he didn't have a lower 3P% this season. I expect him to take more shots from behind the arc, so it's reasonable to also expect a dip in efficiency.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 06:06:06 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It’s really all about the looks he gets. If they are a lot of wide open corner treys, he will stay extremely efficient.

If he starts to look to create and take over (which I would like to see, actually), we may see a dip, but nothing to worry about.

I expect with the lineup around him (Irving, Brown, Hayward, Horford), he’s going to get some very good looks.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 08:38:49 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
It’s really all about the looks he gets. If they are a lot of wide open corner treys, he will stay extremely efficient.

If he starts to look to create and take over (which I would like to see, actually), we may see a dip, but nothing to worry about.

I expect with the lineup around him (Irving, Brown, Hayward, Horford), he’s going to get some very good looks.

Definitely. But I wonder how Brad is going to stagger the minutes this season and if we'll see Tatum (and another starter) with more bench units to keep his best players on the floor, getting shots as much as possible.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Definitely. But I wonder how Brad is going to stagger the minutes this season and if we'll see Tatum (and another starter) with more bench units to keep his best players on the floor, getting shots as much as possible.
I feel as if, of all the starters, Hayward will be the one with the most minutes alongside the bench squad. Proven #1 option and can playmake on the wing.

Considering Tatum's versatility, I could see him getting a few minutes with the bench unit too
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 08:55:45 PM by gouki88 »
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 08:51:01 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35

When 100%, it will probably be Hayward with the bench. He is by far the most adaptable player of the bunch. He can handle the ball at the times Smart and Terry go nuts, he can slow down the game and distribute and he can flat-out attack. He seems better in a role like this than Irving, Brown and Tatum.

Horford will also see large time with the bench. Stevens will hardly play him more than 6 minutes in the 1st quarter and then he will come back in the 2nd quarter with the bench unit.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 09:22:28 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
He's gonna shoot over 45% on high volume people. He's just that special.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 09:42:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Uhh... very doubtful. Steph Curry has done that twice. Klay Thompson has never done that. Ray Allen did it once, but that was in his last year with us, playing 46 games. Reggie Miller never did that.

It is insanely hard to shoot that efficiently from deep with high volume. I hope your comment was tongue-in-cheek, because it is ridiculous to expect that shooting from anyone
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 12:05:27 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

I feel as if, of all the starters, Hayward will be the one with the most minutes alongside the bench squad. Proven #1 option and can playmake on the wing.

Considering Tatum's versatility, I could see him getting a few minutes with the bench unit too

Yeah, I was thinking that most of Tatum's minutes come with the bench mob this year.. maybe wrong.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 04:33:35 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Uhh... very doubtful. Steph Curry has done that twice. Klay Thompson has never done that. Ray Allen did it once, but that was in his last year with us, playing 46 games. Reggie Miller never did that.

It is insanely hard to shoot that efficiently from deep with high volume. I hope your comment was tongue-in-cheek, because it is ridiculous to expect that shooting from anyone
It was just in a playful manner, but I truly believe he has the potential to do that. I don't expect him to do that though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 07:46:43 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

To start the season, Brad will try every one of the starters with different bench lineups to try to find the best fits, then settle on a few good lineups as the season goes on. Hayward seems like a good bet for that, but having Tatum as more of a featured scorer in a very young bench lineup could work too
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 08:34:42 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

That, to me, is the most interesting question - is having a collection of 3-point shooters going to make the team greater than the sum of its parts.  The entire starting five has at least one season averaging 39% or better from three: Irving, Tatum, Brown, Horford, Hayward.  Put them on the floor together, with all that playmaking and passing ability -- someone should be open a lot and anybody standing open on the line is worth that pass. While it's possible any one of them could regress, it seems likely they'll be seeing more uncontested threes than in the past.

Terry (38%) and Morris (37%) add shooting to the rest of the rotation. If either Theis or Baynes could become even a league-average three-point shooter (something that seems possible but who knows), it becomes almost unfair.