Author Topic: Do Danny's moves this summer indicate he thinks we are ready?  (Read 8164 times)

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
You couldnt have had a different summer than last than the one Danny had this year.

Last year, danny blew up a team that went to the ECF returning only 4 players. Alot of people were shocked as the team had been successful. But clearly Danny saw them as an over-achieving bunch who made it as far as they ever were. it was a bold move because many gm's/owners would stand pat, happy that they made it that far and for the revenue making the ECF affords.

This summer on the other hand, Danny has stood pat. He refused to offer any of his young stars in a trade for Kawhi, and resigned Marcus smart to a lucrative deal that surely will put them in the tax next year, if not this year.

To me, this indicates that Danny/ownership believes this team can contend this year against the warriors.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:57:10 AM by Redz »

Re: do Dannys moves this summer indicate he thinks we are ready?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Yes. The Celtics are contenders this year!

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I’d imagine it only means they think this is as good as they can realistically get right now without mortgaging the future. Comfortably one of the 4 best teams in basketball this year, and still in position to contend after the Golden State dynasty ends.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I think he will continue to tinker depending on how we play the first half of the season. If he sees a need he will attempt to address it as any good GM should.

He has got to be excited with what he has so far though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 04:02:08 PM by billysan »
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 03:59:26 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I’d imagine it only means they think this is as good as they can realistically get right now without mortgaging the future. Comfortably one of the 4 best teams in basketball this year, and still in position to contend after the Golden State dynasty ends.

until if/when AD becomes available all improvement will come from development/draft.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 04:04:20 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Boston is going to either be favored to win the East or a close second to Toronto. If you're punting on a chance to make the finals what are you even doing owning a team?

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 04:31:14 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Yes and I think so, too. The Celtics will have a championship team this season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No.  I think the opposite actually.  If Danny thought the team was truly ready to win a title he wouldn't have hesitated to go into the luxury tax and use all the exceptions.  The fact that he avoided the tax like the plague says to me that he doesn't think the team is truly ready to win a title and thus he didn't want to start the tax clock ticking on a team that wasn't likely to win the title.  He isn't giving up on the season and the Celtics clearly have a very good shot at coming out of the East, but when you have exceptions and there are players out there that could help, and you don't use them, that says a lot.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 05:21:57 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
No.  I think the opposite actually.  If Danny thought the team was truly ready to win a title he wouldn't have hesitated to go into the luxury tax and use all the exceptions.  The fact that he avoided the tax like the plague says to me that he doesn't think the team is truly ready to win a title and thus he didn't want to start the tax clock ticking on a team that wasn't likely to win the title.  He isn't giving up on the season and the Celtics clearly have a very good shot at coming out of the East, but when you have exceptions and there are players out there that could help, and you don't use them, that says a lot.

Which players where out there this summer that you think would have been worth going into the luxury tax for?

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 05:30:37 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Which players where out there this summer that you think would have been worth going into the luxury tax for?

Exactly. I'll rephrase the question to who would be good enough to supplant the 10 rotational guys, maybe 11 if you count Wanamaker? More importantly, Ainge is smartly holding on to the MLE for the eventual buyout market. That way he can offer more than other suitors.

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 05:46:40 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
We still got the Sacramento pick, waiting to be unloaded when the time is right.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 05:48:07 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
To think we were this close to acquiring DeMarcus Cousins....

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

If I thought this team could realistically win a title, any number of players could have been added that would have strengthened the bench, especially at the PF and C positions.  Ilyasova comes immediately to mind.  Heck bringing back Amir Johnson would have made sense or going with Lopez, McDermott or countless other guys that are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th big on this team (not to mention Cousins, a simple phone call and he might have been a Celtic).  Getting another great shooter for the bench like Belinelli or Curry would have made a lot of sense as well. 

But you see, when you aren't all that close, those players aren't worth signing.  That is the point I was making.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 05:56:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He is still playing the long game

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 06:16:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Not sure about Danny's moves but it is as clear as can be that this team is ready. No one in the east can stop the team.... Once you are in the finals anything can happen.