Author Topic: Is Westbrook destined to become the best player to never win a title?  (Read 7745 times)

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Nash, Barkley, Malone, McGrady, Iverson are some others that come to mind. But if Westbrook plays another 10 years, playing at at least 75% of what he’s been playing at, he’s got to be the best ever, right?

I think he’s loyal to the thunder, almost to a fault, so it would surprise me if he ring chased even if they go down hill.

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Westbrook just strikes me as one of the most overrated, stat chasing players of all time...

I think history might remember him as such, but I personally wouldn't feel he is the "best player" to never win a title.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
There are several players I'd take over him, esp. from the 90s when many great players didnt win a title due to the Bulls dynasty.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
No, he won't be. Plus, he's turning 30 this year. There is NO way he sustains even 50% of his play for the next 10 years because he's one the most athletically reliant players I've ever seen.

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

I think you’re way off base. The guys an absolute warrior, never takes a night off, and his team mates adore him (aside from that snake Durant.) not sure why the public perception of him is a ball hog stat padder. I think it’s so far from the truth. I’ll take him on my team any day, even over all those other guys I listed.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Nash, Barkley, Malone, McGrady, Iverson are some others that come to mind. But if Westbrook plays another 10 years, playing at at least 75% of what he’s been playing at, he’s got to be the best ever, right?

I think he’s loyal to the thunder, almost to a fault, so it would surprise me if he ring chased even if they go down hill.

I think you’re way off base.

?

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

?

My apologies. It gets iffy posting on CB from a phone with a cracked screen haha.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

?

My apologies. It gets iffy posting on CB from a phone with a cracked screen haha.

Too bad it would be awesome to have a poster with multiple personalities.   ;)

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

I think you’re way off base. The guys an absolute warrior, never takes a night off, and his team mates adore him (aside from that snake Durant.) not sure why the public perception of him is a ball hog stat padder. I think it’s so far from the truth. I’ll take him on my team any day, even over all those other guys I listed.

Because he is a stat padder. I've seen him bail on his man to chase potential rebounds. He took way over 300 3 pointers, in spite of essentially being Marcus Smart behind the line. Also, a guard shoots 73% from the line?

Amazing talent, incredible athlete. And an underachiever who'll probably never win anything. Overrated.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Elgin Baylor would be my best ever to never win it all. And to me its not close.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bayloel01.html

Re: Is Westbrook destined to become the best player to never win a title?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 04:53:51 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Elgin Baylor would be my best ever to never win it all. And to me its not close.

I always forget he retired in the middle of the 72 season in which the Lakers went on to win the title.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 05:21:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I always forget he retired in the middle of the 72 season in which the Lakers went on to win the title.

I always thought that if a player was present for any part of a championship season, then he should be considered a 'champion.' Like, say if the Cs won the title last year and we had traded away Marcus Morris at the trade deadline, why would Hayward get a ring, but not Morris?

Of course there are different levels of impact players have on such a season, but that doesn't mean players who aren't there at the end aren't deserving. In at least some way they participated in the progression of the team in a respective season.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 05:58:24 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Great post..TP...

Dominique Wilkins
Pat Ewing
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Charles Barkley
My top 5
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 06:19:30 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Westbrook is sort of an enigma, because he's both a massive stat padder AND someone who plays extremely hard. He's sort of the hooker with a heart of gold.

I think what nobody has figured out, is what teammates do you put with him? Do you just build an elite defense around him, considering he's fully capable of putting up 45/15/15 per 100 possessions BY HIMSELF? Or is he completely doomed because no team can be that dependent on one player for 4 rounds of the playoffs and succeed?

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 06:28:14 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
He is way down on my list by this criteria. Some 20 players will go before him ATM.
From the top of my head and only players during my lifetime;
Retired
Barkley, Malone, Ewing, Stockton, Malone, 'Nique, T-Mac, Webber, Grant Hill, Arenas (without guns), CP3, Iverson
Active
AD, Paul George, Nash, Howard, Harden

There would are more, probably others would differ:
Reggie, Kemp, Dražen Petrović, etc. and of course Terry Rozier
"The joy of the balling under the rims."