Author Topic: Predict the Celtics starting five scoring output  (Read 2972 times)

Re: Predict the Celtics starting five scoring output
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 05:51:08 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Team Ball scoring:
Kyrie - 20
Brown - 20
Hayward - 20
Tatum - 20
Horford - 10

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 06:36:22 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I think a really good prop bet is whether the Cs starters can average above 40% from 3 for the year. Kyrie I expect to shoot >40% on a fairly high volume, as he has 3 of the last four years. The rest of the players have the potential but are major question marks. Al shot 43% from 3 last year and Gordon was a hair under 40 his last year in Utah, but these were significant improvements from past performance. Will that stick? Jayson and Jaylen both also obviously improved last year - Jayson shooting a scorching 43.4%, Jaylen up at 39.5%. Will one or more regress? Very hard to say. It does work in our favor I think that they should get an unusually high volume of good looks...
All 5 starters can shoot the 3 all 5 can take it to the hole and that it's easy to make the 3 if you're WIDE open. That said, there will be a lot of open looks for this team so I don't see a regression in those stats. It's just so hard to guard this team when they're all healthy.

Edit: Maybe Tatum will slip down to around 40% but that would be expected so I wouldn't consider that a regression. I would consider that he's actually human.

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 08:03:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think a really good prop bet is whether the Cs starters can average above 40% from 3 for the year. Kyrie I expect to shoot >40% on a fairly high volume, as he has 3 of the last four years. The rest of the players have the potential but are major question marks. Al shot 43% from 3 last year and Gordon was a hair under 40 his last year in Utah, but these were significant improvements from past performance. Will that stick? Jayson and Jaylen both also obviously improved last year - Jayson shooting a scorching 43.4%, Jaylen up at 39.5%. Will one or more regress? Very hard to say. It does work in our favor I think that they should get an unusually high volume of good looks...
All 5 starters can shoot the 3 all 5 can take it to the hole and that it's easy to make the 3 if you're WIDE open. That said, there will be a lot of open looks for this team so I don't see a regression in those stats. It's just so hard to guard this team when they're all healthy.

Edit: Maybe Tatum will slip down to around 40% but that would be expected so I wouldn't consider that a regression. I would consider that he's actually human.
I think Tatum would shoot around 45% from 3 this season and possibly get close to 50%, he's gonna get a lot more open looks, ntm that his stroke is only going to get better and better.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Irving 20
Brown 17
Tatum 16
Hayward 15
Horford 11
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Irving 23
Hayward 20
Brown 13
Tatum 13
Horford 12
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 09:42:12 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Elite offense, D worse than last year with Baynes sitting, but we win 60+ and make the finals.

IMO, Baynes willl get similar minutes to last year. I think the D will improve this year. Hayward is a good defender, and Tatum/Brown will both be better.

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Team Ball scoring:
Kyrie - 20
Brown - 20
Hayward - 20
Tatum - 20
Horford - 10
When was the last time a team had 4 20+ point scorers?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 11:00:24 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Irving: 20.1
Brown: 15.2
Hayward: 18.8
Tatum: 17.6
Horford: 13.1

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 12:55:38 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Team Ball scoring:
Kyrie - 20
Brown - 20
Hayward - 20
Tatum - 20
Horford - 10
Not sure there's ever been one. I was thinking maybe those '80's Denver Nuggets teams that seemed to score 140 like nothing but that's not the case

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 03:22:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Team Ball scoring:
Kyrie - 20
Brown - 20
Hayward - 20
Tatum - 20
Horford - 10
the 69-70 Lakers did it, though Wilt only played 12 games (and Baylor and Hairston were in the mid-50's) so I'm not sure you can count them.  They were close the following year though.  Some of Wilt's Sixers teams from the mid-60's were also close to doing it.  I obviously didn't do an exhaustive search, but it appears it hasn't really happened on a team where 4 players were generally healthy all year and all averaged at least 20, though a number of teams have come close. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I think a fair estimate must include the pace of the game on a nightly basis. I believe we will be over 100-105 ppg easily if we do not allow opposing teams to control the pace. I know that we will run, run, run, when we are at our most successful.

This will put the starters up around 95 most nights IMO.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 02:00:48 PM by billysan »
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2018, 02:49:41 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I think we could see 5 starters average double digits. Like the big 3 era, everones stats probably wont pop out at you on the stat sheet, but someone will go off every night.

The beauty of this team is we dont have to rely on one guy going off every night to win games(last year with Kyrie). we have 5 guys, who can carry the team when need be and go off for high scoring outputs

and Horford can go back to the role he is comfortable in which is taking what is given him and distributing.

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2018, 03:36:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The bigger question is how much rest will Horford, Kyrie, and Hayward get, both in terms of minutes played and days off.  With solid depth on the roster, reduced minutes could suppress their averages.  On the other hand, days off could counter that as they respectively take on a larger role when 1-2 of the others are our.

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 03:51:21 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I think Kyrie is going to have a nice year. Hayward will be another weapon to space the floor for him

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
The bigger question is how much rest will Horford, Kyrie, and Hayward get, both in terms of minutes played and days off.  With solid depth on the roster, reduced minutes could suppress their averages.  On the other hand, days off could counter that as they respectively take on a larger role when 1-2 of the others are our.

This is a good point TP.

It should as you say though, average out.

You can also include recovery time from minor injury, sprained ankle, etc as time off considerations.  They are much less predictable but still happen over the course of a season.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku