Author Topic: Current Roster  (Read 3378 times)

Re: Current Roster
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 01:12:52 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Kyrie        -   Smart     -  Wanamaker
Brown      -   Rozier    -   Bird
Hayward  -   Morris    -   Semi
Tatum      -   Theis      -   Yabu
Horford    -   Baynes   -  Williams

I believe we 'll end up trading at least one of Morris-Rozier-Yabu. Not necessarily during the offseason. We have plenty of time till the trade deadline.

Morris --> in order to avoid the tax
Rozier --> cause otherwise we 'll lose him for nothing (assuming we keep Kyrie-Smart)
Yabu --> dead wood

Should Brad Stevens use Tatum in a Kevin McHale type of role? Have Theis start in his place at PF, while Tatum is the SF/PF for the second unit. The starting unit does not need Tatum to start the game. However, the second unit and the team overall, will greatly benefit by having less of a dropoff in scoring with Tatum coming off the bench. It would also allow Tatum to be more aggressive offensively, which may also speed up his game as an elite go to scorer. Obviously, Tatum would transition throughout the game to play with the first unit too, and completely replace Theis in the fourth quarter. Brad already uses Marcus Smart in a similar type of role, with him coming off the bench but still basically playing starter minutes. I don't think or expect it will happen, but I also don't see a downside either. Maybe the dog days of the summer offseason have gotten the best of me today and I'm totally misguided at the moment.

So have the greatest player in the NBA come off of the bench?

Are we talking about the same Jayson Tatum that averaged just under 14 ppg last season? I love his game and I think he will be a great player. Having said that, most elite scorers in the league get their start on bad teams, and become the teams #1 scoring option early in their careers. Jayson will probably be the third scoring option in the starting unit. However, Tatum would be the clear #1 scoring option on the second unit. Part of me thinks, having Jayson come off the bench as the #1 scoring option would expedite his process of becoming an elite scorer. Don't get me wrong, he is already a very gifted player offensively but he was also inconsistent too. I see it more like a regular season investment this season, that could pay huge dividends come playoff time.

Like I said, I don't think it will happen. I also don't think the expectations change if Tatum starts or comes off the bench, as far as being the favorties to win the East. This idea isn't to play him only with the second unit. It's more of the Kevin McHale role, where he comes off the bench, but he still plays starter minutes and remains with the first unit in the fourth quarter.

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 01:27:44 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

I believe we 'll end up trading at least one of Morris-Rozier-Yabu. Not necessarily during the offseason. We have plenty of time till the trade deadline.

Rozier --> cause otherwise we 'll lose him for nothing (assuming we keep Kyrie-Smart)
Yabu --> dead wood

Should Brad Stevens use Tatum in a Kevin McHale type of role? Have Theis start in his place at PF, while Tatum is the SF/PF for the second unit. The starting unit does not need Tatum to start the game. However, the second unit and the team overall, will greatly benefit by having less of a dropoff in scoring with Tatum coming off the bench. It would also allow Tatum to be more aggressive offensively, which may also speed up his game as an elite go to scorer. Obviously, Tatum would transition throughout the game to play with the first unit too, and completely replace Theis in the fourth quarter. Brad already uses Marcus Smart in a similar type of role, with him coming off the bench but still basically playing starter minutes. I don't think or expect it will happen, but I also don't see a downside either. Maybe the dog days of the summer offseason have gotten the best of me today and I'm totally misguided at the moment.

Are we talking about the same Jayson Tatum that averaged just under 14 ppg last season? I love his game and I think he will be a great player. Having said that, most elite scorers in the league get their start on bad teams, and become the teams #1 scoring option early in their careers. Jayson will probably be the third scoring option in the starting unit. However, Tatum would be the clear #1 scoring option on the second unit. Part of me thinks, having Jayson come off the bench as the #1 scoring option would expedite his process of becoming an elite scorer. Don't get me wrong, he is already a very gifted player offensively but he was also inconsistent too. I see it more like a regular season investment this season, that could pay huge dividends come playoff time.

Like I said, I don't think it will happen. I also don't think the expectations change if Tatum starts or comes off the bench, as far as being the favorties to win the East. This idea isn't to play him only with the second unit. It's more of the Kevin McHale role, where he comes off the bench, but he still plays starter minutes and remains with the first unit in the fourth quarter.

Yes, the Tatum who took his game no another level when injuries took their goal.  The same Tatum that has been working incredibly hard this offseason to lead us to the title. 

I have no issue if Brown comes off the bench, but you don’t put the greatest player in the NBA on the bench.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 02:15:22 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think the starting five will include Irving, Brown, Tatum, Horford, and Hayward . I understand the value of Baynes on D, but I think that five is the best unit. People are focusing too much on the supposed second unit. There are not that many times when all five starters will be on the bench at the same time. It will be easy enough for Brad to manage the rotations to keep a starter on the floor if the second unit needs it. There is no need to put Tatum or Brown on the bench.

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 02:56:05 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

Yabu --> dead wood

Yes, the Tatum who took his game no another level when injuries took their goal.  The same Tatum that has been working incredibly hard this offseason to lead us to the title. 

I have no issue if Brown comes off the bench, but you don’t put the greatest player in the NBA on the bench.
i must of missed the thread that talks about how the celtics traded for lebron or durant.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 03:24:12 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Yabu --> dead wood

i must of missed the thread that talks about how the celtics traded for lebron or durant.

You clearly missed the threads when Tatum was a frosh at Duke where I stated he was the best player in the draft and would be the top player in the NBA within his first 3 years.  He is the most. Sedative scorer the NBA has ever seen. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 08:32:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yabu --> dead wood

You clearly missed the threads when Tatum was a frosh at Duke where I stated he was the best player in the draft and would be the top player in the NBA within his first 3 years.  He is the most. Sedative scorer the NBA has ever seen.
Jeesh. I'm all aboard the Tatum hype train, but this is silly
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 08:36:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yabu --> dead wood

Yup. Heck as much as people love to say Tatum is going to be great, and I think he will, I am still not convinced he will be a better player than Jaylen Brown. They both have silly upside.

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 08:38:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yabu --> dead wood

Yup. Heck as much as people love to say Tatum is going to be great, and I think he will, I am still not convinced he will be a better player than Jaylen Brown. They both have silly upside.
Can't say I'm complaining though ;D

Two of the best wing prospects in the league alongside Kyrie, Hayward, Al and Coach Stevens isn't fair for everyone else

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 08:42:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yabu --> dead wood

Can't say I'm complaining though ;D

Two of the best wing prospects in the league alongside Kyrie, Hayward, Al and Coach Stevens isn't fair for everyone else
Which is the way it should be. The natural order coming back into place.

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 08:43:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

Yabu --> dead wood

Oh. well, if you said so then it must be true,
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 09:12:54 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I think the starting five will include Irving, Brown, Tatum, Horford, and Hayward . I understand the value of Baynes on D, but I think that five is the best unit. People are focusing too much on the supposed second unit. There are not that many times when all five starters will be on the bench at the same time. It will be easy enough for Brad to manage the rotations to keep a starter on the floor if the second unit needs it. There is no need to put Tatum or Brown on the bench.

Yup.

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 11:06:46 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
All things being normal this roster should give teams fits because of it's depth. Opponents will never know where the dagger will come from. Between Kyrie, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, even T-Ro. Good luck finding many poor shooting nights.

As long as they play team ball, look for the open man and feed the hot hand they should be a pleasure to watch.

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2018, 06:34:33 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
If we can just get hot from three for the ECF and the Finals. Banner 18 baby.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 06:40:14 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I have two questions

Could Theis, Irving and Hayward get DNPs early in the season as they work back?

Can C's depth lead to Spurs type handling of their stars with giving them rest?

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 06:46:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I have two questions

Could Theis, Irving and Hayward get DNPs early in the season as they work back?

Can C's depth lead to Spurs type handling of their stars with giving them rest?
I doubt either Irving or Hayward will get many, if any DNPs early in the season. I don't see that as productive in any way, considering that they'll (barring any injury between now and then) be fully healthy.

However, I could definitely see us giving some rest to Al, Gordon and Kyrie, assuming we have a top 2 seed comfortably locked up. Which we should