Author Topic: Jabari Bird signing NBA Contract with Celtics  (Read 4512 times)

Re: Jabari Bird signing NBA Contract with Celtics
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 12:35:37 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I’m a little disappointed in this contract.  I would have hoped for a 4 year deal with more guaranteed given the length.

Not going to sweat it, but he seems like someone who could be useful at the back end of the rotation for multiple years as he develops.  With just a two-year deal, by the time he’s ready for that rotation place he’ll be a free agent.

That's my same thinking. It seems like he and his agent held fast to a shorter deal. He is already 24.

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 12:39:28 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I was hoping we could lock him up to an Ojeleye-type contract for four years, but this is still a good deal.
We 'd have to sign him via Bird rights (no pun intended), hence year 1 would start at $1,815,122.

What we did is that we signed him for the vet minimum, hence year 1 starts at $1,349,383.

Assuming we want to avoid the tax this year, I bet Danny is happy to save around $500K.

No, non-Bird means you can sign someone at UP TO 120% of the minimum, not ONLY 120% of the minimum.  Even if non-Bird wouldn’t work, the full MLE was also available.
TP! I stand corrected. :)

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 12:39:43 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
He wont be getting any minutes so fair deal
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I’m a little disappointed in this contract.  I would have hoped for a 4 year deal with more guaranteed given the length.

Not going to sweat it, but he seems like someone who could be useful at the back end of the rotation for multiple years as he develops.  With just a two-year deal, by the time he’s ready for that rotation place he’ll be a free agent.

I’m guessing Ainge wants to maintain as much cap flexibility as possible over the next two years, with the team running up against the tax penalty and having to re-sign several key guys

Yes, but accordingly having a player on a minimum deal makes dealing with those other contracts easier.  If Bird has been signed for 3 years, the difference in what he’d make compared to what a free agent signed to a one-year minimum deal is projected to make in 2020-2021 is under $2,000.  Next year he will make less than what such a free agent would get.  There’s really not much cap flexibility to be gained by only going two years.

What is gained is flexibility in trading Bird before the deadline to help get under the tax, but in that case I’d have rather just left the spot open to begin with.

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 12:44:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

That's my same thinking. It seems like he and his agent held fast to a shorter deal. He is already 24.

I’d think they would want to get beyond restricted free agency.

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Then we'll re-sign him then.

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 12:49:21 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Nice addition. Good athleticism. Tries on defense. Potential as a 3 point shooter. I'd say Danny Green potential, which is nice.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 12:58:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Then we'll re-sign him then.

At a higher cost than what we would have had to pay if we signed him to a longer deal now, or not at all if he is good enough that other teams outbid us.

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 01:15:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Why? Getting past RFA at the cost of another year at the veteran's minimum isn't great.

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 01:26:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Why? Getting past RFA at the cost of another year at the veteran's minimum isn't great.

Yes, but given they were only negotiating with the Celtics at this point, it feels like the typical deal the C’s have given such players (4 years with some amount guaranteed in year two) should have been in play.  Just crabby because I like Bird and he’s not going to be here long-term.  I had the same reaction with E’Twaun Moore.

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 01:48:25 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Congrats to Jabari!  With this move it seems like we are set, unless some unforeseen trade pops up.

I am happy with what DA did this summer.  Basically bring most everyone back from last year, then we get KI back, GH back and Theis back.  We seem to have improved the back end of the roster a bit by signing Bird and drafting Williams.

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 02:38:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
With just a two-year deal, by the time he’s ready for that rotation place he’ll be a free agent.

Agreed. If he’s good, we will lose him. If he plays to expectations, we’ve wasted a roster spot and luxury tax on a non-rotation player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Bird is awesome

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 03:57:58 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
With just a two-year deal, by the time he’s ready for that rotation place he’ll be a free agent.

Agreed. If he’s good, we will lose him. If he plays to expectations, we’ve wasted a roster spot and luxury tax on a non-rotation player.

Sounds like the glass half empty times two!!:-))  Thanks for the "positive" spin Roy:-)

Smitty77

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2018, 04:05:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Sounds like the glass half empty times two!!:-))  Thanks for the "positive" spin Roy:-)

Smitty77

The kid isn’t a rotation player. He struggled with his outside shot in the G-League, and he doesn’t play NBA-level defense.

Hopefully he’s taking Yabu’s place on the roster, and we’re trading Yabu elsewhere. Wishful thinking, but a championship roster doesn’t need several projects.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes