Author Topic: Could you see Horford spending the rest of his career in Boston?  (Read 4850 times)

Re: Could you see Horford spending the rest of his career in Boston?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 11:07:46 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
No, money and minutes will eventually lead him out of Beantown. We know Danny is extremely unsentimental and does not give players retirement deals where they get big $ to be elder statesmen or whatever.

As soon as RW3 or whomever else is ready to start, Horford will find his way down South most likely.

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 11:09:20 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Yeah I could, just because the age curve of Tatum/Brown/Kyrie/Hayward is such that the C's could be very good well into the years when Horford would retire.

I think its unlikely though even if the C's resign him beyond this year, he will probably be traded or decide to move on and play a few David West style years as a bench big somewhere else. Just the nature of the league.

Horford's potential FA is clearly a huge deal. If the C's were to lose Horford and Kyrie it'd set the team back massively.

Horford really doesn't fit the timeline of the younger group. He's more than a decade older than Brown and Tatum.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 11:12:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Horford really doesn't fit the timeline of the younger group. He's more than a decade older than Brown and Tatum.
When Horford is of retirement age for a NBA PF/C the Celtics still project to be very good. So he wouldn't necessarily need to leave the C's for a chance to keep playing for a contender.

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 11:18:06 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
When Horford is of retirement age for a NBA PF/C the Celtics still project to be very good. So he wouldn't necessarily need to leave the C's for a chance to keep playing for a contender.

True but at what contract? For him to fit in the financial scheme of things after his current deal expires he would need to take a massive paycut, possibly 50%. Not sure that's happening

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 11:22:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
True but at what contract? For him to fit in the financial scheme of things after his current deal expires he would need to take a massive paycut, possibly 50%. Not sure that's happening
He's going to be up for a new contract after this season, either as a FA or an extension with his player option.

So the decision on his future is coming faster than you imply. If he were to retire as a Celtic it would be after a third C's contract in all odds.

Do you think Horford leaves after this season?

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 11:22:53 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Yeah I could, just because the age curve of Tatum/Brown/Kyrie/Hayward is such that the C's could be very good well into the years when Horford would retire.

I think its unlikely though even if the C's resign him beyond this year, he will probably be traded or decide to move on and play a few David West style years as a bench big somewhere else. Just the nature of the league.

Horford's potential FA is clearly a huge deal. If the C's were to lose Horford and Kyrie it'd set the team back massively.

Yeah I disagree with this. Tatum and Brown will need a big to run with them one day (Williams?), but having a vet like Horford has done wonders for their development. Not only does he stretch the floor for their drives, but he sets them up with easy buckets and open shots. He also does the little things like screening really well to give them the advantage going down hill.

He fits the timeline of the younger group perfectly in that he knows the game and makes them better players. One day, they'll need a replacement, but he can keep doing those little things until Tatum and Brown are at the height of their game in their mid-20s.

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Yeah I disagree with this. Tatum and Brown will need a big to run with them one day (Williams?), but having a vet like Horford has done wonders for their development. Not only does he stretch the floor for their drives, but he sets them up with easy buckets and open shots. He also does the little things like screening really well to give them the advantage going down hill.

He fits the timeline of the younger group perfectly in that he knows the game and makes them better players. One day, they'll need a replacement, but he can keep doing those little things until Tatum and Brown are at the height of their game in their mid-20s.

OK, I agree, but financially he doesn't really fit the timeline. In the next two summers we have to figure out what to do with Rozier, Kyrie, and Brown, and presumably we will try to lock up Tatum as soon as we possibly can. Where is Al's $ going to come from? Very soon, unless he is willing to take a very large paycut he will become a luxury the C's simply can't afford..

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 11:39:10 AM »

• Paul Silas

OK, I agree, but financially he doesn't really fit the timeline. In the next two summers we have to figure out what to do with Rozier, Kyrie, and Brown, and presumably we will try to lock up Tatum as soon as we possibly can. Where is Al's $ going to come from? Very soon, unless he is willing to take a very large paycut he will become a luxury the C's simply can't afford..

Again, I disagree. Because Al is coming to the end of his career, he will likely command less money.

For example, the Warriors pay Durant, Curry, Thompson, and Green a lot of money as their core, but they still had enough to pay Iggy (even though he doesn't have the stats) because of his importance to the team.

I still don't know how it all is going to work, but I'd guess Horford gets a contract like Iggy's (or maybe slightly less) for his next contract in Boston. That would give the flexibility to max out Brown and Tatum when they get there, as well as Irving and Hayward.

Unfortunately, I think that means Rozier is left outside (unless Irving doesn't resign), but honestly, he probably would prefer being a starter somewhere (Orlando?) and his role is probably the most easy type of player in the NBA to find, which means you can normally find them for vet minimum contracts or small exemptions.

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 11:43:56 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Again, I disagree. Because Al is coming to the end of his career, he will likely command less money.

For example, the Warriors pay Durant, Curry, Thompson, and Green a lot of money as their core, but they still had enough to pay Iggy (even though he doesn't have the stats) because of his importance to the team.

I still don't know how it all is going to work, but I'd guess Horford gets a contract like Iggy's (or maybe slightly less) for his next contract in Boston. That would give the flexibility to max out Brown and Tatum when they get there, as well as Irving and Hayward.

Unfortunately, I think that means Rozier is left outside (unless Irving doesn't resign), but honestly, he probably would prefer being a starter somewhere (Orlando?) and his role is probably the most easy type of player in the NBA to find.

Sadly, I don't think Al is so old that he has to take on a bargain contract but he's not young enough to throw another max deal at if you're the C's, especially if the rest of the core is below 30. Hayward could also become another luxury tax casualty in a few years if the C's decide to build around the youngsters.

Very interesting times with very tough decisions to make, but it's going to be a lot of fun the next couple years..

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 11:53:16 AM »

• Paul Silas

Unfortunately, I think that means Rozier is left outside (unless Irving doesn't resign), but honestly, he probably would prefer being a starter somewhere (Orlando?) and his role is probably the most easy type of player in the NBA to find.

Sadly, I don't think Al is so old that he has to take on a bargain contract but he's not young enough to throw another max deal at if you're the C's, especially if the rest of the core is below 30. Hayward could also become another luxury tax casualty in a few years if the C's decide to build around the youngsters.

Very interesting times with very tough decisions to make, but it's going to be a lot of fun the next couple years..
33 when this contract runs out?

Again, the closest comparable I have, assuming Horford stays healthy, is Iggy. But David West and Pau Gasol are other possibilities.

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 12:20:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I could see it, though the thing to remember with All-Star players is that even humble guys like Al care about the notion of being paid commensurate with their value, talent, and place in the league.

I could see Al's career trajectory going kind of like Pau Gasol, where after his time in Boston he spends the last 5-6+ years of his career spending a season or two with a few different teams.  I expect he'll continue to be productive and a valuable presence on and off the floor, but maybe will become a 20-25 minute a night guy in his mid to late 30s.

My guess would be that if Al wants to be paid more than 15 million a year or so, he'll probably go elsewhere.  Not sure how the Celts will be able to afford him if they're paying top dollar to Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, and Brown.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 12:20:47 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Again, the closest comparable I have, assuming Horford stays healthy, is Iggy. But David West and Pau Gasol are other possibilities.

Wow sign me up for Al becoming our David West. Hope it happens, just skeptical..

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 12:28:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
probably

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 12:31:44 PM »

• Paul Silas

Wow sign me up for Al becoming our David West. Hope it happens, just skeptical..

I'm skeptical as well. I've just tried to find comparably aged and impact players.

A lot of it depends on how the next two seasons go. If he is injured a lot, he might end up being a Nene-type minimum/biannual exemption type of player.

What I think might happen is a significant drop in his numbers (except assists and Off/Def rating). This is due to 2 factors: 1) He will likely be our 5th option on offense. Even though the offense might run through him, he will likely not be looking to score as much. 2) The Celtics are so deep and so good this year that his MPG drop to 30 (or 28).

If that trajectory continued in the 2019-2020 season, it becomes a lot more reasonable for him to sign descending 60 million dollar contract over 4 years, which would be similar to Pau Gasol's and Andre Igoudala's contracts.

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2018, 01:28:48 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
He'll be 34 at the end of his contract in two seasons.  If he wants to stay, I suspect a HUGE cut in pay otherwise, no, he's a goner.  That said, yeah, I think he takes that cut and stays.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."