Author Topic: Could you see Horford spending the rest of his career in Boston?  (Read 4846 times)

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I know with all this talk about expiring deals lately and when contracts are up, especially regarding Kyrie Irving, let's not forget that Horford is entering his final guaranteed year, and then he has a player option.

I can very realistically see Horford actually opting out of his final year next year and then sign another long-term deal with the Cs at a much cheaper price.  He'll be 33 by the time this roles around, so whether they sign him to a 4-5 year deal that he plays out at cheaper money and then retires, or they start doing year-to-year deals, I can see him sticking around and I hope he does.

Al seems like a pretty self-aware guy and you gotta figure that even he knows that there's no way he's getting another max deal.  He's already on a title-contending team that hasn't even reached it's peak yet.  The amount of shots he gets clearly doesn't matter to him.  It's not like the Boston crowd is gonna be changing which is a big reason why he's here in the first place.

I know Kyrie is the main story of the offseason next year and rightfully so, but just throwing it out there that we could see some updates with Horford as well.

Re: Could you see Horford spending the rest of his career in Boston?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 09:02:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah I could, just because the age curve of Tatum/Brown/Kyrie/Hayward is such that the C's could be very good well into the years when Horford would retire.

I think its unlikely though even if the C's resign him beyond this year, he will probably be traded or decide to move on and play a few David West style years as a bench big somewhere else. Just the nature of the league.

Horford's potential FA is clearly a huge deal. If the C's were to lose Horford and Kyrie it'd set the team back massively.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 09:05:55 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yes, I could see it, and I welcome it. He's a mainstay in this offense, but so often overlooked because of the "stats" that get tracked, so he probably won't get a big payday somewhere else.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 09:13:29 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Really like Horford. I hope he spends the rest of his career in Boston.

Regarding his contract situation, I don't see him opting out.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 09:15:00 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I could see Horford staying for the rest of his career, although I admit with Ainge at the helm it feels slightly unlikely due to the constant threat of a trade.

That said, Horford is eligible for an extension that could last four years beyond this one, so keep an ear out for rumors of one.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:17 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I could see Horford staying for the rest of his career, although I admit with Ainge at the helm it feels slightly unlikely due to the constant threat of a trade.

That said, Horford is eligible for an extension that could last four years beyond this one, so keep an ear out for rumors of one.
Assuming he opts in next summer, I can see him signing a bargain contract with C's the summer after that. No need to trade him if he is on a bargain contract.

Obviously, I'm just speculating. Time will tell.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 09:24:08 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think/hope he stays with the C's for the rest of his career and hope/think he'll sign a mutually beneficial contract.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 09:25:51 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Really like Horford. I hope he spends the rest of his career in Boston.

Regarding his contract situation, I don't see him opting out.

I hope he is with the C's long term as well but he just turned 32.  If he opts out and signs a new contract for his age 33 season I do not think the C's would pay a 37 yr old Al Horford 30m per year when the young kids are all due raises.  I imagine he opt's in and signs his final deal at a much lower pay.  Next years FA crop is outstanding and will suck up most of the space available.  I don't see any team paying a 33-34 yr old Horford more then 20m per year. 

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
The only way I see it happen is he signs on a discounted salary and no-trade clause.
That being said I think Horford will age well - kind of like Duncan , not like KG.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
The only way I see it happen is he signs on a discounted salary and no-trade clause.
That being said I think Horford will age well - kind of like Duncan , not like KG.
Horford must play at least 4 years with the C's for him to qualify for a no-trade clause. Assuming he opts out next summer, he won't be eligible for a no-trade clause.

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If we stay competitive and he's willing to take a salary the team finds agreeable, absolutely. Hope so too, Al's one of my favorites.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No

Kind of feel like he will end up on a Florida team

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 10:09:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think he likes the team, fans and city well enough that he'd be happy in Boston for the remainder of his career.

If he leaves, I see it being due to Danny either trading him at some point (not until a new deal is signed) or not offering Al enough for his next (possibly final) contract and not due to a dissatisfaction with playing as a Celtic.

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 10:35:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No

Would feel all kinds of wrong to see him in a Miami jersey. Orlando would be palatable at best
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 10:45:27 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
No

Would feel all kinds of wrong to see him in a Miami jersey. Orlando would be palatable at best

I kind of feel like he will sign with the CFL as a tight end.

Orlando has secured Bamba-Gordon-Isaac as their frontcourt. Unless he signs there to end his career in several years, that isn't happening.

Miami is in the luxury tax for the next two seasons (assuming they resign Winslow to a Smart/MKG type contract). He would be a FA the season they have about 35 million in cap space, but that is only assuming they don't resign Johnson, Whiteside, or Dragic (or trade them for another player on a different contract). Their roster that year will likely be James Johnson, Olynyk, Waiters, Richardson, Winslow, Adebayo, and vet min/exemption guys. Why in the world would he sign with a eastern conference team on the fringe of the playoffs?