Author Topic: Shane Larkin: Jayson Tatum can 'easily' be a top-five player  (Read 4532 times)

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
In a recent interview with The Boston Globe, Larkin, who spent this past season as a Celtics backup point guard, said 2017-18 rookie Jayson Tatum can become a top-five player. Easily.

"His potential is unlimited," Larkin told Adam Himmelsbach. "He's 6-foot-10 (Tatum is actually listed at 6-foot-8), he's got the ball on a string, he can shoot it with anybody. Defensively, he's very smart. He's always in the right place, and he's still going to continue to get better and grow and get smarter. And I think with the skill set he already has, he can easily be one of the top five players in the league if he continues to work and lock in and really devote himself to the game."

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/07/former_boston_celtics_guard_sh.html

Re: Shane Larkin: Jayson Tatum can 'easily' be a top-five player
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 10:53:58 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Another reason why the “I’d trade Tatum for Davis” folk are short-sighted. Tatum  has a chance to be the next  Durant. Is Davis a top 5 player? Sure but he will eventually be a free agent, has a terrible injury history, team has gone nowhere for years... These things can't be ignored. Tatum took horford brown and scrubs to the ecf g7

Btw it looks like we have our first official confirmation of tatums real height- 6’10. Professional Basketball players aren’t going to get something like a teammates height incorrect in interviews.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:05:49 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 11:02:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Tatum is at least 6'8" ( he does look taller) and he could well be a top 5 player in the NBA. He was amazing as a 19 year old rookie.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 11:09:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Another reason why the “I’d trade Tatum for Davis” folk are short-sighted. Tatum  has a chance to be the next  Durant

Btw it looks like we have our first official confirmation of tatums real height- 6’10. Professional Basketball players aren’t going to get something like a teammates height incorrect in interviews.
There's a difference between being short-sighted and unrealistic. You trade a chance to be a top 5 player for a 25 year-old top 3 player any day of the week. Especially on a team that has a 26 year-old All-Star, a 28 year-old All-Star and a 32 year-old All-Star. We'd be the favourites against GSW with Davis, which we definitely aren't as of now
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 11:16:48 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Another reason why the “I’d trade Tatum for Davis” folk are short-sighted. Tatum  has a chance to be the next  Durant

There's a difference between being short-sighted and unrealistic. You trade a chance to be a top 5 player for a 25 year-old top 3 player any day of the week. Especially on a team that has a 26 year-old All-Star, a 28 year-old All-Star and a 32 year-old All-Star. We'd be the favourites against GSW with Davis, which we definitely aren't as of now
Tatum is cost controlled, and extends our window for contention

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 11:23:27 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Another reason why the “I’d trade Tatum for Davis” folk are short-sighted. Tatum  has a chance to be the next  Durant. Is Davis a top 5 player? Sure but he will eventually be a free agent, has a terrible injury history, team has gone nowhere for years... These things can't be ignored. Tatum took horford brown and scrubs to the ecf g7

That makes no sense. Davis has averaged playing about 1.5 games per season less than Durant....what "terrible injury history"?

Davis was bar none the best player in the league the 2nd half of the season and he's 25 years old. He's still getting better and no big man in the league can touch him. Only a fool wouldn't trade anyone on our roster for him.

I love JT and hope he's a life long Celtic and will be a star, but get real. The only way you don't do that deal is if AD doesn't want to be in Boston.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 11:27:51 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I'm anxious to see this debate a year from now. Personally I dont think there will be any debate at that time about who the best Celtics is and it will be Tatum. The exciting thing is may be Jaylen too for that matter.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 11:45:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Tatum is cost controlled, and extends our window for contention
Extended, but at the cost of almost definitely having a lesser chance of winning. And we don't even know if it would be extended, considering possible decline / player movement of our current All-Star tier players.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 12:13:21 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Computer says no.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 12:15:43 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

That makes no sense. Davis has averaged playing about 1.5 games per season less than Durant....what "terrible injury history"?

Davis was bar none the best player in the league the 2nd half of the season and he's 25 years old. He's still getting better and no big man in the league can touch him. Only a fool wouldn't trade anyone on our roster for him.

I love JT and hope he's a life long Celtic and will be a star, but get real. The only way you don't do that deal is if AD doesn't want to be in Boston.

I hear what you are saying, but I'm good with Tatum.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 12:44:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Computer says no.
I don't care what your computer says! It is considerably more likely that Anthony Davis is and will continue to be a better and more impactful player than Jayson Tatum will ever be. That isn't an insult to JT at all, but AD is on another level.

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 01:54:33 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

It's all academic. AD is going nowhere any time soon. Relax everyone..

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 04:19:18 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
The way tatum surprised everyone in his rookie year, he weill continue to do that next 3-4 years in a row. He is not going anywhere.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 06:50:15 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
No one needs to hear this from Larkin. Anyone with eyes and common sense knows Tatum will be great.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 06:51:47 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Larkin just climbed his way into my top 5 third-string PGs.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC