Author Topic: Danny holding onto the picks  (Read 2824 times)

Danny holding onto the picks
« on: July 24, 2018, 09:30:41 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Danny is the mastermind at all this. Thank god he didn’t trade  Leonard for a year rental.He is going to wait on those to see if Davis becomes available if he does great if not than he moves on. I think Danny has a good idea if Kyrie will stay or not. If he thinks he will bolt we all know he is willing to trade anybody. This season will be a very very interesting one as we are in a wait see situation oh and have the best team in the east. So let’s all sit back enjoy the rest of summer.

Re: Danny holding onto the picks
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 10:15:40 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
One thing we can make bank on, we're going to see a big trade some time in the next year or two. We have too many high paid players and potential high picks.

We could end up with 4 1st rounders next year, and we all know he isn't making those picks.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 01:51:46 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
One thing we can make bank on, we're going to see a big trade some time in the next year or two. We have too many high paid players and potential high picks.

We could end up with 4 1st rounders next year, and we all know he isn't making those picks.

Or a series of smaller trades. Danny's blockbuster trade possibilities are drying up. AD dream fading. Best thing to do is make the Sac pick and trade the rest for solid rotation players

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 04:00:25 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Or a series of smaller trades. Danny's blockbuster trade possibilities are drying up. AD dream fading. Best thing to do is make the Sac pick and trade the rest for solid rotation players

The obvious possibilities are drying up.

Things change very fast (did you expect the Leonard drama last July?) and possibilities appear out of nowhere (Kyrie)

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 05:02:26 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I may be in the minority but I don’t see our draft pick situation nearly as impressive as the Nets situation.

I do believe the Kings pick will be a good one. I can’t expect them to win the lottery, but I don’t think they will be good enough to stay out of the too 7 or so.

The Clippers pick? That’s not conveying as a first, they are missing the playoffs.

The Grizzlies pick? Meh. I think their is a good chance they will either hold onto it or it will become the 12-14 pick, which is hardly anything to write home about. Hopefully they blow it up and keep trading off their guys and it keeps rolling, but doubt it.

Our own picks project 25+ for awhile, which are arguably worse than an early second, all things considered.

I wouldn’t mind sending off any or all of those picks. They have to potential to hit (Kings @ 2, Grizz @ 9, Clippers @ 15)... or we could miss on them.

I wouldn’t just give them away. But I wouldn’t be opposed to moving them.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 06:27:04 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

He has made 4 picks in the draft before.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 07:16:57 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I may be in the minority but I don’t see our draft pick situation nearly as impressive as the Nets situation.

I do believe the Kings pick will be a good one. I can’t expect them to win the lottery, but I don’t think they will be good enough to stay out of the too 7 or so.

The Clippers pick? That’s not conveying as a first, they are missing the playoffs.

The Grizzlies pick? Meh. I think their is a good chance they will either hold onto it or it will become the 12-14 pick, which is hardly anything to write home about. Hopefully they blow it up and keep trading off their guys and it keeps rolling, but doubt it.

Our own picks project 25+ for awhile, which are arguably worse than an early second, all things considered.

I wouldn’t mind sending off any or all of those picks. They have to potential to hit (Kings @ 2, Grizz @ 9, Clippers @ 15)... or we could miss on them.

Having, say the 4th and 12th picks is a stout situation to be in. Good ammo in case someone above you wants to do a Doncic/Young style deal, or trading for a future #1 like Philly did for the Miami pick.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 07:18:17 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

He has made 4 picks in the draft before.
Our roster wasn't nearly this deep, and when we had 3 2 years ago, he used 2 of them on draft and stash.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 07:52:54 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I love the fact that Danny has been able to retain so many picks while assembling a legitimate contender.  It gives him excellent flexibility to improve the roster or deal with a loss (Irving or Rozier).  Diversification is key!

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 09:49:00 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Yeah, I don’t think you’re in the minority.  I think most understand that most of those picks are not great assets in and if themselves.  These question is, what does Danny do if they all convey?  I mean, he just may have to given some of them away.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 09:57:07 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Yeah, I don’t think you’re in the minority.  I think most understand that most of those picks are not great assets in and if themselves.  These question is, what does Danny do if they all convey?  I mean, he just may have to given some of them away.
If they all convey I assume Danny's preference would be to trade at least one of them for a future pick, but since this draft is supposedly weak I'm not sure he can get that done. If they can't get value for any of the four I assume they would select at least one draft and stash. Although the C's are going to have a lot of free agents next year so they could conceivably just bring in four rookies.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 10:01:18 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

If they all convey I assume Danny's preference would be to trade at least one of them for a future pick, but since this draft is supposedly weak I'm not sure he can get that done. If they can't get value for any of the four I assume they would select at least one draft and stash. Although the C's are going to have a lot of free agents next year so they could conceivably just bring in four rookies.

This draft is not "weak". Its just as strong as 2018. It's just a wing draft, not  big or PG draft

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Yeah i wish he traded one of those picks last year for Tyreke Evans or another veteran to help with hayward,theiss and irving out
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 10:11:28 AM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

This draft is not "weak". Its just as strong as 2018. It's just a wing draft, not  big or PG draft

I mean, the consensus right now is that it's weaker than the past 2 drafts.  Given the media's propensity to hype up every draft as 'the best/deepest in awhile' it stands out to me that this one is getting underhyped.  But that doesn't mean the 'experts' are right.  Many are idiots.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

This is not the prevailing notion I’ve heard.

From Sporting News:
As of now, the 2019 class looks a bit disappointing with most of the top prospects facing some combination of concerns about their long-term upside, approach to the game or actual skill set

From Sports Illustrated:
there’s a lack of surefire star talent at this stage.

From SB Nation:
A lot of analysts aren’t high on this class of incoming college freshmen

Now the draft is, as you point out, a wing draft, which means that in a league which is trending towards 3-4 winglike players in most lineups, there will probably be some useful talent available, and may make picks tradable.  And with the Celtics having just drafted a big and likely having their top two PG spots locked up for years beginning next season, the Celtics can pick wings and not worry about it too much.  But based on early reports, it seems pretty weak, and I would worry of a repeat of the 2014 and 2015 drafts.