Around the League > Transaction Ideas and Rumors

Celtics offered some of their best draft assets for Kawhi

(1/6) > >>

perks-a-beast:
per Realgm wiretap.

Can't say I blame DA at all for trying. You can take some gambles with your draft picks when your sitting pretty with stud prospects like JB and JT.

Offer was probably Smart (S+T), Morris, 2019 Kings pick, Maybe Memphis pick too.

I think San Antonio made the right trade. The 2019 draft class doesn't look too stellar, and there's always a chance (even if slim) that the Kings pick doesn't convey.

perks-a-beast:
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/250823/Celtics-Reportedly-Offered-Several-Of-Their-Best-Draft-Assets-To-Spurs-For-Kawhi-Leonard

Roy H.:
What does “most of their best draft picks” even mean?

I mean, we’ve got two potentially really good draft picks, Sacramento and Memphis. What does offering “most” of two assets mean?

CelticsElite:

--- Quote from: Roy H. on July 24, 2018, 07:52:24 PM ---What does “most of their best draft picks” even mean?

I mean, we’ve got two potentially really good draft picks, Sacramento and Memphis. What does offering “most” of two assets mean?

--- End quote ---
"And by the way, as all the reporting from this sort of trickled in, I think the Celtics offered most of their best draft picks. I don't think the Celtics just offered (and said) 'You could have a bunch of our picks.' I think some of the picks they're owed, at least two of the picks, if not all of them that they own from other teams, including the Kings, Grizzlies and Clippers. I think those were all in the deal.”

#1P4P:
If Ainge really wanted Kawhi, he could've turned the non-SAC draft assets alone into [insert comparable player to Derozan or unfulfilled/attractive prospect (Kemba, Aaron Gordon, Jabari Parker, Wiggins (admittedly there aren't that many at the moment))] in a 3-4 team trade. There are several packages that  could be put together that rival the Derozan package using those picks, but it would've necessitated that 3rd team, which would've been complicated.

Kawhi or no Kawhi, this is a perrenial Championship contender and Danny is treating it as such. Of course we could've taken the same gamble that Toronto took, but unlike Kyrie, Kawhi's stated his intentions and if he leaves next off season was it worth it?

There's no need for a last hurrah move like trading 2-3 lottery picks and an important rotation player for a season rental because the ceiling of this team is multiple Championships.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version