Author Topic: Mixed messages about Kyrie’s future  (Read 3898 times)

Re: Mixed messages about Kyrie’s future
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 07:55:49 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Kyrie would be foolish to walk away from Boston

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 08:15:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I said the same thing but got attacked for it, so watch out.

I don’t think it’s a controversial point.  Most money, top-3 team in the NBA, young core, amazing coach and team management, historic franchise, less than an hour plane ride from home.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Danny wouldn’t think two seconds before trading Kyrie if it would land him Anthony Davis.

Why should Kyrie profess loyalty to Boston before becoming a free agent?

I think he’ll stay because at the the right time Boston will be his best option. But until then, why commit? I doubt his teammates care.

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Why should Kyrie profess loyalty to Boston before becoming a free agent?

Because he’s a Celtic and it eliminates a distraction.  It’s not like it’s binding.

The yahoo article in the OP compares Kyrie’s approach  to Kemba Walker’s.  I think most fans appreciate the “I’m a Celtic, and hopefully I’m always a Celtic” response.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 09:13:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I don’t think it’s a controversial point.  Most money, top-3 team in the NBA, young core, amazing coach and team management, historic franchise, less than an hour plane ride from home.
Agreed, but he also doesn't want to limit his options if for some reason he becomes unhappy this year or Boston doesn't make him feel like he's the "the guy" for whatever reason.

Plus he's not shy about getting publicity and being talked about, not giving assurances keeps him in the news and the center of league rumors.

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 09:18:58 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Agreed, but he also doesn't want to limit his options if for some reason he becomes unhappy this year or Boston doesn't make him feel like he's the "the guy" for whatever reason.

Plus he's not shy about getting publicity and being talked about, not giving assurances keeps him in the news and the center of league rumors.

That’s all true. It’s also why I think some fans get annoyed with him. He’s kind of like a mini-Lebron regarding being the center of attention. 

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 09:21:27 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
He has already walked away from a championship contending team in Cleveland. I bet the Cavs fans didn't expect him to bolt either.

----------------------------------

Anyway, let's just assume for a moment that Danny is actually afraid that Kyrie plans to leave next summer via free agency. What do you guys believe Danny should do? Keep him and battle it out for the title or trade him? And even if Danny decides to trade him, what's the best deal we could possibly get? I mean, assuming Kyrie wants to go to NY, we 'd practically have zero leverage in trade talks. It's the Kawhi situation all over again!

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 09:23:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That’s all true. It’s also why I think some fans get annoyed with him. He’s kind of like a mini-Lebron regarding being the center of attention.
Yeah. Just the sort of thing you have to deal with in the NBA ego wise.

Heck look at all the Kawhi crap, if they thought they had a Kyrie and not a Duncan and acted accordingly it might not have all melted down.

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
He has already walked away from a championship contending team in Cleveland. I bet the Cavs fans didn't expect him to bolt either.

Anyway, let's just assume for a moment that Danny is actually afraid that Kyrie plans to leave next summer via free agency. What do you guys believe Danny should do? Keep him and battle it out for the title or trade him? And even if Danny decides to trade him, what's the best deal we could possibly get? I mean, assuming Kyrie wants to go to NY, we 'd practically have zero leverage in trade talks. It's the Kawhi situation all over again!

False. Cleveland was already on the cusp of being riddled with mediocre and overpaid veteran contracts. The rumblings and rumors of LeBron leaving once again also added onto to the annoyance of Kyrie.

It's amazing how easily you can tell when some people just don't like a player, but it is astounding to me how many users here are blatantly negative about our team's positive outlook and future. But sure, keep riding the train of cynicism.....
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 09:32:11 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

How so? All of the attention about his free agency has been generated by the media and all he has said is that he's not making a decision until it's actually time to make a decision. I don't see how Kyrie is responsible for clickbait media.

Just look at what you quoted in the OP. It's written to sound like actual news but it sounds like there were a couple of agents who aren't connected to the situation at all giving their uninformed opinions. This is a rumor dressed up as reporting.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2018, 09:37:14 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

How so? All of the attention about his free agency has been generated by the media and all he has said is that he's not making a decision until it's actually time to make a decision. I don't see how Kyrie is responsible for clickbait media.

Just look at what you quoted in the OP. It's written to sound like actual news but it sounds like there were a couple of agents who aren't connected to the situation at all giving their uninformed opinions. This is a rumor dressed up as reporting.

Exactly. The media drums up this 'scenario,' where Kyrie is unhappy with Boston. I just don't believe he's ever been considering leaving Boston, unless for some extreme circumstances he thinks Ainge will trade him to some terrible team.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Kyrie isn't leaving Boston. He did come out with a movie so he has the financial incentive to keep his name in the press.

From a negotiating perspective, it makes business sense not to openly commit. Although if the Celtics don't give him literally everything he wants that might be a non-starter anyway.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2018, 09:50:03 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

False. Cleveland was already on the cusp of being riddled with mediocre and overpaid veteran contracts. The rumblings and rumors of LeBron leaving once again also added onto to the annoyance of Kyrie.

It's amazing how easily you can tell when some people just don't like a player, but it is astounding to me how many users here are blatantly negative about our team's positive outlook and future. But sure, keep riding the train of cynicism.....
What exactly is false? All I said was

1. The Cavs were championship contenders
2. The Cavs fans didn't expect Kyrie to bolt Cleveland

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If Kyrie wants to bolt, Danny needs to do everything he can to trade for Kemba.

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What exactly is false? All I said was

1. The Cavs were championship contenders
2. The Cavs fans didn't expect Kyrie to bolt Cleveland
It's not false to say that, but it's also a bit devoid of context.

Kyrie most likely saw the writing on the wall with LeBron almost guaranteed to leave, and he didn't want to be stuck in Cleveland with KLove and ... nobody else of note. The situation isn't comparable at all to Boston, where we have a plethora of talent secured for years and years to come, and with more talent on the way in the shape of picks
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)