Author Topic: Mixed messages about Kyrie’s future  (Read 3901 times)

Mixed messages about Kyrie’s future
« on: July 24, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Three agents told the Herald they fully expect Irving to opt out and leave next summer, but sources connected to the player reiterated in the last two days that, while there are miles to go between now and the end of the coming season, the All-Star guard is quite pleased with his Celtic surroundings and has been talking about the future here beyond 2018-19.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-kyrie-irving-talking-future-183541211.html

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2018/07/marcus_smart_deal_adds_to_celtics_stability

The second part of the quote is encouraging, the first part not so much.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Mixed messages about Kyrie’s future
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Three agents told the Herald they fully expect Irving to opt out and leave next summer, but sources connected to the player reiterated in the last two days that, while there are miles to go between now and the end of the coming season, the All-Star guard is quite pleased with his Celtic surroundings and has been talking about the future here beyond 2018-19.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2018/07/marcus_smart_deal_adds_to_celtics_stability

His agents? No. These are other player's agents with an agenda, possibly to create a scarier market next year so their players can get a better contract this year.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 07:40:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I don’t think anyone knows what will happen, including kyrie

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 07:52:24 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Who knows. Kyrie talks fondly of his team mates, Stevens, and the City of Boston, but he hasn't said anything (at least what I've heard) about wanting to stay a Celtic. Either you're with the Celtics or you're not. Pierce, KG, Rondo, even Isaiah Thomas, all made comments while here about wanting to retire a Celtic. Us Boston fans are an insecure fan base and need constant reassurance so those things are nice to hear. Unfortunately, Kyrie doesn't seem like the kind of dude to give that reassurance. I don't think he's plotting to leave or anything like that, but if a mega team assembles in New York or something like that, that includes players he has a good relationship with, he'll jump ship for sure. I suppose it's more admirable to not give the fan base false hope of a lengthy tenure than to say "I love Boston and will do everything n my power to retire a Celtic" then turn around a bolt.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 07:56:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

His agents? No. These are other player's agents with an agenda, possibly to create a scarier market next year so their players can get a better contract this year.

No idea what their reasoning is, but wouldn’t it be better for the agents if Kyrie was staying put?  Terry Rozier may be wishing for Kyrie to bolt, but wouldn’t most outside free agents be hoping the Knicks / Nets miss out on Kyrie?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 11:19:55 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
i think he is leaving.  heard the rumor that leonard was already calling around looking to form a super team.    kyrie, butler and leonard to knicks?   tell me irving wouldnt do that

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 11:26:34 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
i think he is leaving.  heard the rumor that leonard was already calling around looking to form a super team.    kyrie, butler and leonard to knicks?   tell me irving wouldnt do that

The Knicks hardly have enough to sign one max guy. They simply can't sign two, especially with Zinger's extension.

Brooklyn could get a lot closer, but even they can only open up two max slots.

People seriously need to do their homework, instead of making wild assumptions.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 11:32:36 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Did this "rumor" you "heard" explain where the Knicks get $100 million in cap room?

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 11:44:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Did this "rumor" you "heard" explain where the Knicks get $100 million in cap room?
The absolute lack of any realism in these rumours certainly doesn't stop them from being spread!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 12:26:41 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

The Knicks hardly have enough to sign one max guy. They simply can't sign two, especially with Zinger's extension.

Brooklyn could get a lot closer, but even they can only open up two max slots.

People seriously need to do their homework, instead of making wild assumptions.

fair enough,  the rumor was about leonard calling around.   no other players.  they didnt mention nyk either.    that was me.  they might have said brooklyn but i cant recall..  still i standby thinking kyrie will be open to leaving. some team will have enouvh for a new trio i imagine.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 02:11:58 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
To me I quite appreciate Kyrie's outlook here. I'm tired of players saying "I'm loyal to this city" then leaving or flat out refusing to discuss it which basically means they are heavily considering leaving, they just won't admit it.

He knows there are options out there for him, he's having a good time here and it's not a lock either way.

I'm terms of him going to New York, the Knicks need to clear major cap first for that to be realistic. Nets are an option but I struggle to see long term success there without them gaining some more young assets first.

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 02:49:27 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
All I care about is Kyrie producing while he is a Celtic. Anything other than that is immaterial. The man can make his own choices and do what he thinks is best for him.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 03:10:09 AM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
I am growing very tired of Irving's never-ending drama with all his stories being about Kyrie, Kyrie, Kyrie.  I'm tired of the fawning fans who pretend to admire his independence and that he "marches to a different drummer" and "he's different" , "he's unique", "That's just Kyrie".

What exactly is Kyrie Irving looking for ? He is currently the leading offensive player on a title-contending team with potential to stay that way for the next decade. He also plays for the most celebrated franchise in the NBA with a fan base second to none and tradition just dripping from the walls of the beautiful, new Boston Garden. He gets to have great teammates who bend over to be respectful towards him and who happily share the ball. He has the brightest, young coach in the league. If Irving had the right mindset, he could dig in here long-term and commit to leading this great franchise to winning more banners and watching his number go up in the rafters one day.

Instead he prefers to keep everyone guessing while he daydreams about going home to the Knicks along with his favorite homeboys to go "ball it out" in Madison Square Garden and have fun, fun, fun 'til it all blows up in his face in the cesspool of self-centerdness that seems to be what this guy values most.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 05:15:22 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 04:05:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I am growing very tired of Irving's never-ending drama with all his stories being about Kyrie, Kyrie, Kyrie.  I'm tired of the fawning fans who pretend to admire his independence and that he "marches to a different drummer" and "he's different" , "he's unique", "That's just Kyrie".

What exactly is Kyrie Irving looking for ? He is currently the leading offensive player on a title-contending team with potential to stay in that way for the next decade. He also plays for the most celebrated franchise in the NBA with a fan base second to none and tradition just dripping from the walls of the beautiful, new Boston Garden. He gets to have great teammates who bend over to be respectful towards him and who happily share the ball. He has the brightest, young coach in the league. If Irving had the right mindset, he could dig in here long-term and commit to leading this great franchise to winning more banners and watching his number go up in the rafters one day.

Instead he prefers to keep everyone guessing while he daydreams about going home to the Knicks along with his favorite homeboys to go "ball it out" in Madison Square Garden and have fun, fun, fun 'til it all blows up in his face in the cesspool of self-centerdness that seems to be what this guy values most.
Keeping everyone guessing, except for you? You seem to be the only one with such insight into how he thinks ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 07:14:21 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

What exactly is Kyrie Irving looking for ? He is currently the leading offensive player on a title-contending team with potential to stay in that way for the next decade. He also plays for the most celebrated franchise in the NBA with a fan base second to none and tradition just dripping from the walls of the beautiful, new Boston Garden. He gets to have great teammates who bend over to be respectful towards him and who happily share the ball. He has the brightest, young coach in the league. If Irving had the right mindset, he could dig in here long-term and commit to leading this great franchise to winning more banners and watching his number go up in the rafters one day.

Why should he say anything? Maybe he does like the attention. Maybe he hates it. But the last thing he should be doing is addressing random rumors on the internet.

But whether he does or not, he shouldn't say anything. He might love Boston, or he might want out tomorrow. He might want a L-T deal, but not get it from Danny because he gets hurt again and Ainge decides against it. Talking about rumors is a no-win situation for Kyrie.

In spite of all the hand-wringing, it's going to be disappointing to a lot of you when he likely gets a max deal from the Celtics a year from now.