Author Topic: ESPN's Post-Kawhi Trade Power Rankings - C's come in at 2  (Read 1409 times)

ESPN's Post-Kawhi Trade Power Rankings - C's come in at 2
« on: July 23, 2018, 04:15:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Espn Power rankings: Celtics 2nd best team, King’s 2nd worst team
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24165876/nba-power-rankings-how-lebron-james-kawhi-leonard-change-everything

The Celtics had one of the more snooze-worthy summers in the NBA, electing to simply bring back the same core from last season by re-signing defensive tone-setters Aron Baynes and Marcus Smart. And yet, the Celtics will still emerge as one of the offseason winners because, with LeBron James heading west, and with Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward set to return from injury, Boston is the early favorite in the East. As Hayward told ESPN last week: "I'm confident that we've got everything we need to make the run at the whole thing." -- Chris Forsberg

Key additions: Robert Williams and Brad Wanamaker

Key subtractions: None

Re: Espn Power rankings: Celtics 2nd best team, King’s 2nd worst team
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 05:13:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Not surprised to see the Kings that low.. some of the rest of the rankings seemed a bit bizarre..

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 05:30:18 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I realize that the true additions to the C's team that was minutes from a Finals appearance are Gordon Hayward and Kyrie Irving. 

But in order for this team to be power ranked #2 overall, I would expect the pundits would have to be calculating anticipated growth in the Jays.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I realize that the true additions to the C's team that was minutes from a Finals appearance are Gordon Hayward and Kyrie Irving. 

But in order for this team to be power ranked #2 overall, I would expect the pundits would have to be calculating anticipated growth in the Jays.
Can't help but think if the Jays were drafted to teams that made them #1 options next year, that both would be scoring over 20 ppg.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 06:22:04 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Not surprised to see the Kings that low.. some of the rest of the rankings seemed a bit bizarre..
What rankings do you find bizarre?  It looks a little bit odd because 9 of the 11 bottom teams are in the East. 

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Sac at #29.....getting a pick 2-5 would just be too good to be true.

There's variables associated with every team.

Who could you - by any variable of growth in JT & JB - honestly place in front of the Celtics? There's no one other than Houston that could be justified, by any measure.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 06:56:30 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Who could you - by any variable of growth in JT & JB - honestly place in front of the Celtics? There's no one other than Houston that could be justified, by any measure.

Minimal growth in JT and JB:  Houston and OKC, with possibilities: LAL, Philly and Toronto (if incorporating GH and KI back from injuries).  Your point is well-taken though -- probably no lower than #4 and #2 is reasonable.   

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 07:04:27 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

It seems to me that Houston won't be as good next year. They got as close as they did with surprisingly excellent defense and they've pretty much sabotaged that for next year.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 07:51:06 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Temptation to trade will be strong at the deadline if Sac performs poorly.  Adds such a nice layer onto next season.  Not to mention the other possible #1's.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 08:01:48 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Minimal growth in JT and JB:  Houston and OKC, with possibilities: LAL, Philly and Toronto (if incorporating GH and KI back from injuries).  Your point is well-taken though -- probably no lower than #4 and #2 is reasonable.   

I don’t see the optimism in OKC.

Last year they only won 48 games despite being on of the few teams to stay healthy all season long. Yes they lost Roberson (a role player), but their four best players all played 76+ games. What other team can say that?

I am of the belief that losing Carmelo is addition by subtraction, but they still haven’t done anything to significantly improve. Schroder may be a decent player, but does not fit next to Westbrook.

Unless you are chalking up last season to lack of chemistry and expect this season to markedly change that, I just don’t see their leap into the top-5.

I’d personally pick Celtics, Raptors, and Sixers over them. I may even take the Pacers over them. Out west, obviously GSW and HOU, but I can’t see how you couldn’t pick UTA over them again (despite a relatively quiet offseason, other than drafting Allen).
CELTICS 2024

Re: ESPN's Post-Kawhi Trade Power Rankings - C's come in at 2
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 01:41:59 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
This is with the assumption that Kawhi is 100% for the Raptors. If not, drop them a few more slots.

"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 07:27:41 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
A couple of changes:

-MIL>WAS
-DAL is ranked too high at 18. Dennis Smith and Doncic prob won't be great defensive players next year, and I think Deandre's stock is slipping.
-CHA is ranked too high at 21. They're prob. going to replace Kemba with Tony Parker and a draft pick/young player.