Poll

Which

Sign Jabari bird to a long term contract with final roster spot
22 (55%)
Keep bird on a 2-way, while leaving roster spot for a waived veteran
18 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Sign bird or keep roster spot open for waived veteran? (Poll)  (Read 2381 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Which do you think ?

Long term contract could prove to be a valuable rotation piece. He has shown many flashes of providing scoring inside,  and on the perimeter. 

The argument for Keeping him on a 2 way is that he’s very young and still in development stage (especially in defense), and  we have a pretty stacked team especially with guards (kyrie/ rozier / smart / brown/  Wanamaker), so playing time will be an issue...so we can keep him in the d league 2 way to continue developing with the appropriate playing time he will need. while we leave the roster spot open for any waived veteran perhaps at the trade deadline

My guess: we sign bird to a 4 year deal like Nader and send him to Maine most if not all of the season  in hopes that he becomes a cheap rotation scorer. He might  be with Williams in Maine as well. and if we see a competent waived veteran, we will cut yabusele
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:59:00 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Sign bird or keep roster spot open for waived veteran? (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 08:25:29 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Surprisingly difficult choice.  I really like what I saw from Jabari in SL.  However, if this is the year they get the Finals, you will need to pick up another frontcourt (IMO) veteran for the stretch run.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 08:43:36 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It would be more beneficial to the Cs to have him in that 16th slot and have the option to add a vet min player, but I think the 'fair' thing to do would be to sign him. Since two-way contracts pay very little, it is probably a little too much to ask to once again put him in that position again. Bird has clearly shown more than Nader who had a spot on the big club last year and I would put him ahead of Yabusele (at least what we've seen of him so far).

But, my guess is that we'll eventually move Morris to get under the tax and be able to sign Bird and a vet. I realize losing Morris leaves another hole, but we have a decent amount of wings (including Bird) and if Morris is forced into a big role (loss of Hayward or Tatum, for instance), we aren't winning the championship anyway.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 10:00:44 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t think Bird is an NBA-level rotation player. I wouldn’t give him anything more than a 2-way deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 10:09:49 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I have seen a lot more that I like from Bird than I ever did from Nader. Think he deserves a contract similar to what Nader had.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 11:16:25 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I have seen a lot more that I like from Bird than I ever did from Nader. Think he deserves a contract similar to what Nader had.

I see these two arguments a lot:

1. He “deserves” a contract;

2. He’s better than Nader.

The second argument is irrelevant to me, for two reasons. Most importantly, being better than one non-NBA player does not imply that Bird himself is an NBA player. Both seem like NBA scrubs to me at the present time. There are dozens of guys out there as free agents who will help the team more. Secondly, for Nader, he earned the spot. Not only did he defer an NBA contract for a year by agreeing to play in the D-League, but he excelled there winning ROY.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/n/naderab01d.html

As for “deserving” a contract, I don’t get it. Did Kadeem Allen deserve a contract?

The only compelling reasons to keep Bird to me are:

1. Danny thinks he’ll contribute more this year than any other free agent or buyout; or

2. He thinks that Bird’s future potential is so bright / value is so good that it’s worth being slightly worse in the short term.

I don’t think either is the case.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 11:41:04 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
We still have the MLE and the Bi-annual.  Those can be used to fill the final roster spot with a real player.  We can keep Bird on the 2-way.  If we are going to be in the tax either way, we may as well maximize that last roster spot.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Players like Jabari Bird are a dime a dozen and can be found all the time. There's no sense on wasting a roster spot on him. I'd much rather keep the spot open for a vet who could actually contribute to a title run.

If he is willing to sign a two-way deal, great. If not, well, thanks for your time here, but we're moving on.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 12:25:58 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i really do not think the 15th player on this team will make or break the celtics chances for a championship. having said that, i believe one purpose of the 15th spot is to find and try out a player who might turn into a decent rotation players.

it might be a young lottery ticket, ala bird. or, it might be a reclamation project, a vet with a history of injuries.

the goal is to find a player who does not cost much and can contribute something someday. immediate payoff is nice, but not the real point.

bird looks good as a lottery ticket type of player who costs next to nothing but might, someday, provide valuable minutes as a back up to someone.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
i really do not think the 15th player on this team will make or break the celtics chances for a championship. having said that, i believe one purpose of the 15th spot is to find and try out a player who might turn into a decent rotation players.

it might be a young lottery ticket, ala bird. or, it might be a reclamation project, a vet with a history of injuries.

the goal is to find a player who does not cost much and can contribute something someday. immediate payoff is nice, but not the real point.

bird looks good as a lottery ticket type of player who costs next to nothing but might, someday, provide valuable minutes as a back up to someone.

We have Robert Williams and Yabu as non-contributing development players, and Wanamaker is an unknown.

If we’d used a spot on Gerald Green instead of Nader last year, we may have gotten by Cleveland last year.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 01:17:32 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
We have Walter Lemon on a two way.Walter Lemon is 6-3 with 48 mx vertical
Can we send a two way to dunk contest.
Now that isnot easily found,imagine his hang time.
The Celtics have gone from earth bound to high flyers.
A closing team in blowouts could be Bird,Lemon ,Williams,Thies and Rozier/Smart-not being serious.
All the Williams chatter has abated is he in Boston working out and getting comfortable.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:22:18 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

What you're describing is what two-way contracts are for.

Teams have 15 roster spots.  Setting aside more than 2 or 3 of these spots for developmental players is not ideal roster management for a team competing for a title.  Right now we have, at minimum, Williams, Yabusele, Ojeleye, and possibly Wannamaker.  That's already more developmental players taking up roster spots than I am comfortable with.  There's no room for Bird on the regular roster unless Yabusele is traded and Wannamaker is cut.

And besides, Bird isn't a lottery ticket, he's more like a scratch ticket.  There isn't going to be a high payout even if he does become something.

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Teams have 15 roster spots.  Setting aside more than 2 or 3 of these spots for developmental players is not ideal roster management for a team competing for a title.  Right now we have, at minimum, Williams, Yabusele, Ojeleye, and possibly Wannamaker.  That's already more developmental players taking up roster spots than I am comfortable with.  There's no room for Bird on the regular roster unless Yabusele is traded and Wannamaker is cut.

And besides, Bird isn't a lottery ticket, he's more like a scratch ticket.  There isn't going to be a high payout even if he does become something.
Amen to this. We could be adding as many as 3 first rounders next year. We don't need to sign a late 2nd round scrub to a 4 year contract and just add to more players we will be trying to develop while contending. Give him a 2 way. Otherwise leave it open or find a contributing vet.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 01:47:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Neither Wanamaker nor Ojeleye are developmental players.  Wanamaker is veteran depth who happens to be an NBA rookie, much like Theis last year.  He’s two years older than Kyrie.  At 28, he’s probably at the peak of his basketball abilities, which the Celtics are hoping is good enough to be a 12th man or so.

Ojeleye is also not a developmental prospect. He’s a role player who we hope will get better, but in the mean time is perfectly capable of giving useful minutes.

There comes a point where there are only so many minutes to attract the veteran player you’d like on the roster.  The Celtics top 10 in the rotation is pretty set without injuries, and a lot of players aren’t cut out for the DNP-CD role that anyone who signs will be in line for, given they’d slot somewhere in the 11th-13th spot in the rotation.  A player like Jabari Bird, who at 24 has some growth left but has the upside of a player in the back of the rotation, is fine for this last spot.  He will be able to come in and provide some measure of useful minutes, and can be kept for four seasons in this back of the rotation role for a low price, which is important as we have to let some other more expensive depth players go in future seasons.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 01:56:08 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I think we are best served to leave the spot open.

We would get the most benefit from a Joe Johnson type veteran that can give us a couple of 5 minute stretches of mistake free performance in an emergency. A big man would be my preference if one becomes available.

Only use a two way contract on a prospect, Bird is now a known quantity. Unless he is going to get minutes, I dont keep him. Its a waste of money and a roster spot.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku