Author Topic: 3rd player angling to join Kyrie and Butler in 2019  (Read 9549 times)

Re: 3rd player angling to join Kyrie and Butler in 2019
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2018, 10:00:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
kyrie and butler isn't really on the same level as lebron and wade or kg/ pp or obviously kd + steph and co.

they're both good players but not necessarily on the level imo of these other guys, and i don't see why they'd think that the two of them on the same team would be vastly superior to the teams and teammates they already have.

I get it for Butler. Losing franchise, immature teammates, flawed coach, NBA Siberia.

Kyrie has the best of all worlds on the court. He won’t win more somewhere else. Of course, winning was secondary in Cleveland, so maybe he bails.

What are you talking about? He wanted to leave Cleveland because he didn't like playing with Lebron and didn't want to tolerate Lebron's prima donna ways.

As for all this speculation that's coming out, it is simply baseless and senseless. Jimmy Butler likes some stupid Instagram post, Chris Mannix mentions he heard from a 3rd party source that Kyrie wants to play in NY one day and suddenly we have Kyrie pegged to leave? Makes no sense.

And Kyrie is smart to not even comment on any of this foolishness. Just go about your business and don't comment on ridiculous speculation, which is totally unfounded. Clearly, you're not a Kyrie fan for whatever reason, so that should also be taken into account.

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2018, 10:03:18 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
If Kyrie leaves, he’s an idiot.  Hayward + Tatum + Brown + Horford + Smart is better than Butler + “very accomplished “ player

Perhaps, Boston should consider making a move to add a Butler.

I've thought about that, but I feel Butler would be rather redundant. Between Kyrie, Hayward and Tatum, that's alot of touches. I also feel that Butler and Hayward are essentially the same player, only Hayward is better.

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2018, 10:13:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Kyrie leaves, he’s an idiot.  Hayward + Tatum + Brown + Horford + Smart is better than Butler + “very accomplished “ player

I’d rather have Jaylen.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2018, 10:42:04 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

I've thought about that too, as a deadline thing, but I just don't think it's financially feasible for Boston. My guess is that if Butler was made available at the deadline, at age 29 and with Thibs miles on him, Ainge's offer wouldn't go terribly higher than Smart, Morris, and some mix of picks. However, not only do you potentially have all three of Kyrie, Butler, and Horford all looking for big new deals in the summer of 2019 (plus whatever happens with Rozier), but you also have a new contract for Jaylen, possibly a new contract for Hayward, and discussion of a rookie extension for Tatum coming the following summer.

That's without getting into who moves to the bench in the event that Butler's brought aboard.

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2018, 10:54:30 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Just glancing at the link and seeing it's from a NY outlet means it's not even worth clicking on. They are hoping and wishing on a star for KI. I cant wait till he re-signs in Boston so they can shut the hell up about forming some kind of super team. One thing that will remain the same and any sane superstar would steer clear of if they had sense is James Dolan.  He will make sure the Knicks remain irrelevant for many years to come!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2018, 11:07:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

I've thought about that, but I feel Butler would be rather redundant. Between Kyrie, Hayward and Tatum, that's alot of touches. I also feel that Butler and Hayward are essentially the same player, only Hayward is better.
Hayward wasn't better than Butler befire he was hurt. He won't be better after the injury either
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2018, 11:08:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yeah, I'd put the odds of Kyrie actually leaving somewhere around 0.01%.

I do find it funny, though, that people are rehashing storylines that are a year old and came up before Kyrie was traded to the Celtics.  Oh well, it's summer, I guess people need something to talk about.

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2018, 11:19:12 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
How credible is the site that states Kyrie Irving is a forward?

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2018, 11:34:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

We've got the NBA version of the NWO forming. Kyrie is Scott Hall, Butler is Kevin Nash and (insert player) is going to be Hollywood Hogan.

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2018, 12:44:11 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

It's not really different though. It goes back to the one way loyalty people expect from players versus management.

Yes, it's really different.  No, it doesn't go back to one way loyalty.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2018, 12:59:23 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Kyrie will be a free agent in a year, he should keep his options open if that's what he wants to do. I don't think he's an "idiot" if he chooses to go somewhere else if that's what makes him happy. More players should do what they want, because ultimately the franchise will do the same. Look at Demar Derozan - the guy fully embraced a franchise and city, and said on multiple occasions he wanted to spend his entire career in Toronto. You know what that endearing loyalty got him? Traded.

Just because players are free to choose their future doesn’t mean those choices are beyond criticism.  Leaving the Celtics for less money and a worse franchise with less of a chance at winning would make him an idiot or a loser.

Yah you're right, these players can be criticized, but labeling someone an "idiot" and "loser" based on some hypothetical where you know nothing about that person's thought process seems...well other people can judge for themselves. I find name-calling says more about the person saying the insult than the person being insulted.

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2018, 01:34:31 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Coincidence that Amir Johnson agreed to just a one-year deal with the 76ers?  I think not.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2018, 01:47:14 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148

Hayward wasn't better than Butler befire he was hurt. He won't be better after the injury either

I think Hayward was better. Much better shooter and passer. I don't know how good Hayward will be when he comes back but in the 16-17 season, I think Hayward was a better player than Jimmy Butler.

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2018, 03:52:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Uh, yes he was
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2018, 04:39:39 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

We've got the NBA version of the NWO forming. Kyrie is Scott Hall, Butler is Kevin Nash and (insert player) is going to be Hollywood Hogan.
Huge NWO swerve here.....Hollywood Hogan played be Lebron James. Jimmy traded to Lakers. KI signs there next year as UFA