Author Topic: Danny's Lucky  (Read 2459 times)

Danny's Lucky
« on: July 20, 2018, 05:20:59 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Said Red Auerbach when asked about hiring Ainge.So lucky he was a three sport All American and played both professional baseball and basketball.And so lucky Red drafted the kid while still playing major league baseball.
 He has been part of the Celtics winning the NBA title as a player and General Manager.
I would say Danny's lucky.
When does skill and hard work get confused with Lucky.
Bringing in the BIG THREE,breaking up and THE TRADE to the Nets
HIRING BRAD STEVENS and not tanking
Skillfully trading and accumulating draft pieces, ISAIAH and Crowder
Getting Horford
Drafting Marcus,Rozier and Brown
Getting Hayward with Brad Stevens attraction as ex coach
Trading down and drafting Tatum
Courageously trading for Kyrie
Signing Baynes
Bringing in Theis,Larkin  from Europe
Special years from Brown,Tatum and Rozier
ECF Finals with three straight playoffs
Drafted Williams who fell from a lottery pick in 2017-juries out
Signed Wannamaker for cheap money
Resigned Baynes at real value money
Resigned Smart for 4 years at a good price
"THE HARDER YOU WORK THE LUCKIER YOU GET"

Re: Danny's Lucky
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 06:58:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Great post, rollie.

I've been thinking lately about Danny's job on rebuilding as compared to Magic Johnson.  Actually, there is no comparison.  Magic was right in saying he should not be GM in a year if he doesn't sign big name free agents. His job is rather simple.  No matter how good LAL is in the next 2 seasons, I don't want to hear any talk about exec of the year.  All he has to do is be charismatic.  Danny has had to work harder and longer.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 07:25:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Danny has been great.

I also give Magic credit. He has drafted very well late in first round and second round. That’s hard to do.

Jury out on Lonzo Ball.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 07:42:08 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
The saying goes, " I would rather be lucky than good."

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 07:46:21 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
It's been just 5 years since the Nets trade and the C's are already considered the favorites to win the East! Danny has constructed the perfect rebuild!

HIRING BRAD STEVENS and not tanking
Well, we did tank for 1 season in 2013-14. We ended up with the 6th pick and selected Smart.

But yeah, compare that to 'the process' and it's as if we didn't tank at all. 8)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 07:53:45 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 09:30:50 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Danny has been great.

I also give Magic credit. He has drafted very well late in first round and second round. That’s hard to do.

Jury out on Lonzo Ball.
I wouldn’t say the jury is out n ball.  That’s the wrong phrase.  He’s a [dang] fine prospect with plenty of value around the league.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 09:50:27 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Danny often gets teased for being a poor baseball player and specifically for having a low batting average.  But his baseball career was actually very impressive.  He was playing professionally in the summers while attending  BYU full time.  After his college year would end in May, he would have to play catch up.  Despite this, he reached the major leagues after his sophomore year of college (at the young age of 20, the youngest player in Blue Jays history to ever hit a home run) and played 3 seasons of MLB.  He never had a true spring training.

He is also the only person to be a high school first team All American in basketball, baseball, and football.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 10:08:00 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Danny made his own luck.  He's smart as hell and works his butt off.

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 10:11:22 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Danny was lucky the Brooklyn Nets were bought by a dumb Russian.

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 10:15:46 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Danny made his own luck.  He's smart as hell and works his butt off.
There is no such thing as luck. Danny has an eye for an talent. Miles Plumlee is the only center after Fab Melo in the draft. We missed like everyone on Middleton and Green in 2012.
He is top 5 GM for sure. I trust him.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Ainge dodge a bullet and/or was lucky with these 3 things:

The Winslow offer

He made offers to the Pistons, Hornets, and Heat, which reportedly would've cost the picks that ended up being Brown and Rozier, plus I believe the upcoming Grizzlies pick as well.

Jackson canceling his workout for Ainge, Zarren, and Stevens

This basically sealed the deal of Tatum ending up in green. I do think Jackson was Ainge's #2 and a good workout, coupled with his affinity for that player type could've catapulted him over Tatum.

Suns misfortune

The Suns landed Thomas with a team friendly contract, but there was 1 pg too many and Mcdonough decided to move Dragic, who was going to bolt anyways, and trade for Knight. Ultimately, he didn't want the same issues he had before, so he also traded away Thomas for pennies on the dollar. The result was winning games, playing a part in landing Horford and Hayward, and then being used in the Kyrie deal.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:53:03 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 12:51:46 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Danny was lucky the Brooklyn Nets were bought by a dumb Russian.

Hard to call a self made billionaire with net worth over 8B dumb. If only I could be that dumb! :)

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 01:10:03 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

The Winslow offer

He made offers to the Pistons, Hornets, and Heat, which reportedly would've cost the picks that ended up being Brown and Rozier, plus I believe the upcoming Grizzlies pick as well.

This basically sealed the deal of Tatum ending up in green. I do think Jackson was Ainge's #2 and a good workout, coupled with his affinity for that player type could've catapulted him over Tatum.

Suns misfortune

The Suns landed Thomas with a team friendly contract, but there was 1 pg too many and Mcdonough decided to move Dragic, who was going to bolt anyways, and trade for Knight. Ultimately, he didn't want the same issues he had before, so he also traded away Thomas for pennies on the dollar. The result was winning games, playing a part in landing Horford and Hayward, and then being used in the Kyrie deal.
Good calls!  He really dodged a bullet on the Winslow offer.  IMO, I don't think we would have picked Jackson, even if he had worked out for the C's.

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 01:32:13 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

The Winslow offer

Suns misfortune

"It's not luck," it's just silly opposing personnel making silly moves to Boston.  8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

The Winslow offer

Suns misfortune

Good calls!  He really dodged a bullet on the Winslow offer.  IMO, I don't think we would have picked Jackson, even if he had worked out for the C's.
I think if Jackson wasn't so anti Celtics there was a very good chance Ainge could have drafted him.  He really is a Danny type player, even more than Tatum is.