Author Topic: Carmelo traded to ATL for Schroder (update: Philly as third team)  (Read 5782 times)

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Oklahoma City has agreed to trade Carmelo Anthony and a protected 2022 first-round pick to Atlanta for point guard Dennis Schroder and Mike Muscala, league sources tell ESPN. Anthony will be waived, and he will join team of his choice. Rockets are frontrunner.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1020045930429583365?s=21

Sources: As part of multi-team Carmelo Anthony/Dennis Schröder deal, Atlanta's Mike Muscala will go to Philadelphia, 76ers' Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot will be traded to Oklahoma City and 76ers' Justin Anderson to Atlanta.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1020049180390195202?s=21

The pick the Thunder are sending the Hawks is 2022 lottery protected first rounder (1-14). If it doesn’t convey, it’ll become two second rounders.

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/1020048504385884160?s=21

Anthony will get his entire $27.9M in the buyout and waiver with Hawks. It could take a few days to work thru logistics on trade. 'Melo met with Rockets and Heat in Las Vegas. Again, Rockets are the frontrunner.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1020047679362039808?s=21
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:09:28 PM by rondofan1255 »

Re: Carmelo traded to ATL for Schroder and protected pick
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 05:02:13 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What an absolutely amazing deal by the Thunder. I love what they are doing.

Schroeder can't play with Westbrook very well, but he can definitely run the offense in the 15 minutes Westbrook doesn't play. Other than that, it will be really interesting to see how they play together.

Muscala is no pushover either. He might be a better option than Patterson as their stretch big.

Also, the Thunder could flip Schroeder for another player of value. I realize he doesn't have much value now, but they did just flip a similar player (Oladipo) with a dead contract (Kanter) and a young prospect (Sabonis) for George. Maybe they could complete a similar trade for another star. 

Still, they have more talent than they did before. They have a huge luxury tax bill, but they are a better today than yesterday, and they have better trade assets as well.

Re: Carmelo traded to ATL for Schroder
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 05:04:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Assuming that they move Muscala, as has been reported they quickly will, I have the Thunder lowering their tax bill from $147 million to $80 million.  Combined with the payroll savings, that is around $80 million saved for a 1st and whatever it takes to move Muscala.  Decent work by Presti, but still with an $80 million tax bill.  Singler will assuredly be stretched, which will save them another $20 million in taxes this year, but they’re also on pace to be $20 million over the tax again next summer with the acquisition of Schroeder.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 05:07:49 PM »

• Paul Silas
Assuming that they move Muscala, as has been reported they quickly will, I have the Thunder lowering their tax bill from $147 million to $80 million.  Combined with the payroll savings, that is around $80 million saved for a 1st and whatever it takes to move Muscala.  Decent work by Presti, but still with an $80 million tax bill.  Singler will assuredly be stretched, which will save them another $20 million in taxes this year, but they’re also on pace to be $20 million over the tax again next summer with the acquisition of Schroeder.

I like Muscala a lot as a 4th-5th big. There are reports they are moving him?

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Yes, one of Woj’s tweets indicated this: “likely headed for a third team in near future”.

EDIT: Very near future, as Philly was announced as the third team while I typed.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »

• Paul Silas

Yes, one of Woj’s tweets indicated this: “likely headed for a third team in near future”.

EDIT: Very near future, as Philly was announced as the third team while I typed.

Interesting. I guess they needed a Bjelica replacement. Does Philly absorb him into cap space?

Re: Carmelo traded to ATL for Schroder (update: Philly as third team)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 05:13:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Can’t see Schroeder staying in OKC. Bad fit with Westbrook, and he isn’t going to want to play 6th man. Good move for OKC to ditch Melos contract though.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 05:14:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Interesting. I guess they needed a Bjelica replacement. Does Philly absorb him into cap space?

No, they traded Timothy Luwawu-Cabarrot to OKC and Justin Anderson to Atlanta to make salaries match.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 05:16:12 PM »

• Paul Silas

No, they traded Timothy Luwawu-Cabarrot to OKC and Justin Anderson to Atlanta to make salaries match.

Wow. I liked the little I saw of TLC (not as a starter, mind you, but as a decent nba player), but he ends up be salary filler? OKC gets another long wing.

As you said, saltlover, it's almost as if Philly needs a full-time GM.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 05:24:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Wow. I liked the little I saw of TLC (not as a starter, mind you, but as a decent nba player), but he ends up be salary filler? OKC gets another long wing.

As you said, saltlover, it's almost as if Philly needs a full-time GM.

Oh, I don’t think TLC has an NBA future after this year.  OKC needs a min salary or two to fill out their roster, so he’s useful in that role, but I don’t think Philly gave up much that mattered to them in this deal.

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 05:31:15 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I don't know the role players who are involved at all. What is Philly getting out of this? Is Muscala that much better, or is it some sort of contract dump?

Mike

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 05:32:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I don't know the role players who are involved at all. What is Philly getting out of this? Is Muscala that much better, or is it some sort of contract dump?

Mike

Philly traded their 14th and 16th man for maybe a 12th man.  So it’s fine for them, but doesn’t really move the needle.

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »

• Paul Silas
saltlover, does this set a cost for taking salary at all? I think it might.

Yesterday, we were talking about the Kings absorbing Anderson's salary of 40 million over the next two years. You contended that the cost would be two 1sts. I thought one 1st might get it done.

Here, the Hawks not only got Melo and his 27 million over 1 year, but they also had to trade away talent (Schroeder, although he probably wasn't a huge plus), and they only got a lottery protected 1st in 2022. And Melo will never even play for them, unlike Anderson.

I guess I'd argue from this that the cost to deal away that much salary is still only one 1st round pick (and maybe even a protected one), especially if that player can be a useful player for the team receiving him.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 05:51:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yesterday, we were talking about the Kings absorbing Anderson's salary of 40 million over the next two years. You contended that the cost would be two 1sts. I thought one 1st might get it done.

Here, the Hawks not only got Melo and his 27 million over 1 year, but they also had to trade away talent (Schroeder, although he probably wasn't a huge plus), and they only got a lottery protected 1st in 2022. And Melo will never even play for them, unlike Anderson.

I guess I'd argue from this that the cost to deal away that much salary is still only one 1st round pick (and maybe even a protected one), especially if that player can be a useful player for the team receiving him.

That extra year on Anderson’s deal is giant, though, and Atlanta has been actively trying to trade Schroder for months. He had negative value.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 05:52:40 PM »

• Paul Silas

That extra year on Anderson’s deal is giant, though, and Atlanta has been actively trying to trade Schroder for months. He had negative value.

Yeah. It's a total of 13 million more than Melo had.

I still don't think Schroeder had negative value, at least not significant negative value. I just think the Hawks were being patient with the draft to try to get the most they could.