Author Topic: Marcus Morris: better to trade or stretch?  (Read 9206 times)

Re: Marcus Morris: better to trade or stretch?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm on the fence about him, I like the toughness but I'm not crazy about his offensive game. He often turns into a black hole on offense and doesn't really fit in with the Celt's offensive scheme at times. There are just too many times when he touches the ball where you know he's going to put a shot up whether it's a horrible option or not.

Edit: As I submitted this I realized that I'm currently showing as Marcus Morris in the forum lol.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:49:50 AM by CF033 »

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 10:46:16 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I think shedding Yabusele's contract would be my first option, as already mentioned. He'll have to go eventually. I didn't see enough from him in the summer league to think he'll be as good as Semi or as a replacement for Morris once he's gone after this season.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 10:46:19 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
The tax does not happen until the trade deadline We can still get under by trading Yabu then.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 10:49:47 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The tax does not happen until the trade deadline We can still get under by trading Yabu then.

Yes, although Yabu is more likely to have value if we trade him prior to his option deadline of October 31st, in case the team taking him on actually wants to give him a chance to develop.

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I'm on the fence about him, I like the toughness but I'm not crazy about his offensive game. He often turns into a black hole on offense and doesn't really fit in with the Celt's offensive scheme at times. There are just too many times when he touches the ball where you know he's going to put a shot up whether it's a horrible option or not.

Edit: As I submitted this I realized that I'm currently showing as Marcus Morris in the forum lol.

... ain't karma a ****?

(that's a five-letter word beginning with b)
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 11:27:57 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Let me ask again, does anyone know the projected number the team is trying to be under to avoid setting the repeater tax clock?  The team's current salary is $108,230,008 not counting marcus smart at all.  A starting salary around 12 mil would obviously take us to about 120 mil.

Edit:  these totals do not count Wanamaker either, who for some reason is listed at $0.  Not sure what his salary would be?

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 11:33:47 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Let me ask again, does anyone know the projected number the team is trying to be under to avoid setting the repeater tax clock?  The team's current salary is $108,230,008 not counting marcus smart at all.  A starting salary around 12 mil would obviously take us to about 120 mil.

Edit:  these totals do not count Wanamaker either, who for some reason is listed at $0.  Not sure what his salary would be?
Perhaps I answered my own question.  According to this article the number would be $123.73 mil.  If that's the case, assuming the other numbers are accurate, we would seem to be in decent shape without having to release anyone?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23957526/nba-sets-1019m-salary-cap-2018-19-season

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

... ain't karma a ****?

bases?
backs?
blitz?
bikes?
blowby?
books?
bricks?
babel?
babes?
babka?
baboo?
babul?
babus?
bacca?
backs?
bacon?
baddy?
badge?
badly?
baffs?
baffy?
bagel?
baggy?
bahts?
bails?
bairn?
baith?
baits?
baiza?
baize?
baked?
baker?
bakes?
balas?
balds?
baldy?

;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 12:02:55 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Morris is a bargain contract. Positive value. You telling me the Blazers or Raptors wouldn't be happy to add him with their trade exceptions? They are desperate to reach the next level. There are plenty of teams that could work ways to get him, maybe even sending us a 2nd rounder in return. He is a pretty good player who is great at guarding guys like LeBron. Hiss offense can also win random playoff games. He has VALUE. And we have leverage, we could simply waive Nader and trade Yabs. The Nets etc would probably take a flyer on Yabs. No need to fleece ourselves trading Morris - a useful player with good trade matching ability BTW - in a salary dump.

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 12:15:33 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

... ain't karma a ****?

bases?
backs?
blitz?
bikes?
blowby?
books?
bricks?
babel?
babes?
babka?
baboo?
babul?
babus?
bacca?
backs?
bacon?
baddy?
badge?
badly?
baffs?
baffy?
bagel?
baggy?
bahts?
bails?
bairn?
baith?
baits?
baiza?
baize?
baked?
baker?
bakes?
balas?
balds?
baldy?

;D

Why does Celtics Blog censor "baboo"?!

Sigh.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Thanks.  So can someone explain why many predict that the Celts will definitely be over the luxury tax if we sign Marcus?  I found out that Wanamaker would only be making a little over 800k so that should leave about 14.5 mil for marcus this year.

Clearly I am missing something?

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

... ain't karma a ****?

bases?
backs?
blitz?
bikes?
blowby?
books?
bricks?
babel?
babes?
babka?
baboo?
babul?
babus?
bacca?
backs?
bacon?
baddy?
badge?
badly?
baffs?
baffy?
bagel?
baggy?
bahts?
bails?
bairn?
baith?
baits?
baiza?
baize?
baked?
baker?
bakes?
balas?
balds?
baldy?

;D

Apparently, I've been demoted to second on "list of CBers with too much free time on their hands."

:)

Mike

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!

Thanks.  So can someone explain why many predict that the Celts will definitely be over the luxury tax if we sign Marcus?  I found out that Wanamaker would only be making a little over 800k so that should leave about 14.5 mil for marcus this year.

Clearly I am missing something?

Although Brad W and Daniel T are actually being paid $838,464 and 1,378,242, they both count as 1,512,601 for LUXURY TAX calculations (different than salary cap calculations).  Also are you remembering to count 92,857 for D Jackson's dead money?

Are you keeping Nader at 1,378,242 or waiving him at a cost of 450,000 and signing J Bird with a lux tax cost of 1,512,601 (actual salary would be smaller)?

Hope this helps a little.....

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 12:56:13 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
https://twitter.com/dangercart/status/1019981130815168512

If the Celtics are $3.8 million over the tax line and if they want to get under, then Morris would have to be traded with no salary coming back correct?

Then fill the 15th spot with Bird?  It makes sense for two reasons: why not avoid the tax for one more year, and where will the minutes be for Morris anyway?