Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas takes veiled shot at Celtics  (Read 10524 times)

Re: Isaiah Thomas takes veiled shot at Celtics
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
for the cavs or for us?

if us? he might have had the same production. for the cavs? no way, that was a disaster from the start & the type of player that IT is was never going to succeed playing next to Lebron.

Based on what? Don't give me some "Isaiah needed the ball in his hands to be effective" nonsense either

no IT needed the ball in his hand to be relevant, there's a difference.

Isaiah wasn't some smoke-and-mirrors creation of Stevens, either. Prior to getting to the Celtics Isaiah was pretty consistently a 20 point per 36 minute scorer on 57-58 TS%, and those are roughly the same numbers he put up in his first season in a half in Boston as well. Brad definitely got the best out of him in 16-17, but he was playing at a high level prior to that as well. Coming off two deep playoff runs with Boston and Cleveland as an efficient 20 a night, you still think he'd have gotten a one-year minimum deal?

ahhh well the stats have all the answers.... it's thinking like this that makes people believe carmelo was a great player. 

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2018, 10:23:40 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
And what's this "type of player" comment about? You're saying he would have been less effective playing next to the best player in the world - who is one of the best-passing forwards of all time? Lebron is perfectly content playing off the ball or as the screen-setter in P&R, especially at this point in his career.

IT's problem on the Cavs was that his ego
see all you guys in support of IT have the answers and you're still asking "why"? and "how"?.

Oh look. Someone used creative snips of what another person wrote on the internet, in order to misrepresent it. That fools everyone!

no it was just easier to make a point to those not dealing in reality.

you know those people the ones that are siding with a guy who has 'em fooled. the guy that made a big deal about having his video tribute shown on paul pierce night... a real celtic, not a guy just concerned about his next payday.

see this guy knew there was a ceiling to how long he could keep up what he was doing, he's too small and his body was never going to hold up. so he was looking for the big payday, even making known in the media that if he didn't get it that it had nothing to do with him but the team he was on. basically shaming the team because "he plays his heart out" and injured...

all i'll say is if IT was/is as great as everyone thinks certainly his injury couldn't have made him one dimensional and teams should've been lining up to sign him. right?

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2018, 01:02:40 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
ahhh well the stats have all the answers.... it's thinking like this that makes people believe carmelo was a great player.

Carmelo never achieved the efficiency numbers of Isaiah's pre-Boston seasons, nevermind Isaiah's historically efficient 16-17 season. It's nice to see you admit you don't actually understand the things you talk about, though.

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2018, 07:57:53 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Carmelo never achieved the efficiency numbers of Isaiah's pre-Boston seasons, nevermind Isaiah's historically efficient 16-17 season. It's nice to see you admit you don't actually understand the things you talk about, though.

My thoughts exactly.  IT's lack of size was always going to be an issue but I think some people are forgetting how amazing he was during 16-17.  IT's offensive output was far more efficient than any of Carmelo's best seasons.  As you mentioned earlier, his overall efficiency was on par with Steph Curry.

To take this even further, let's compare Caremelo's deepest playoff run with IT from 2017.  IT's output dropped but he still matched Carmelo in overall efficiency despite having a bad hip.  It's fair to assume that he would have outperformed Melo if the hip was 100%.

As for his defensive shortcomings, I think some people are ignoring the same flaws shared by other elite scoring PG's.  Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard, and Kemba Walker have all been a net negative on defense throughout their careers. 

I agree that a healthy IT would have received a monster contract.  Not sure if it would have been a full max but I could see something similar to the Lowry deal.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:04:20 AM by Green-18 »