Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas takes veiled shot at Celtics  (Read 10571 times)

Re: Isaiah Thomas takes veiled shot at Celtics
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2018, 09:40:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
bring him back using the NBA MM salary

Miget Minimum

« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2018, 10:29:36 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
this guy was/is a turd of the highest standard.

if he didn't get injured he still wasn't worth what he was thinking he was, and this is why he's a bitter fool because he doesn't realize this. anyone else believing he was needs to stay the hell away from this team.

this isn't why he's a turd though, he's a turd for putting this on the Celtics. yes he was dealt a bad hand with the injury and his sister's death. but the Celtics weren't actively shopping him - the cavs called us.

we'll never know for certain if we would've payed him but i'd be surprised if we would have. all signs do point to ownership and danny seeing that IT led team was a dead end team going no where though.

IT's got a bad case of Dwight Howard going on.

Certain Celtics fans deserve to watch Irving walk to New York for a Durant team-up, I'll say that much.

::)

I don't know where to go with this. are you ultimately saying IT is better than kyrie? if so, I really don't have the time to tell you how wrong you are.

if you're just being bitter like IT you're looking at the whole situation the wrong way. me personally I will be upset if/when kyrie should leave... but we do have him at least for this yr.

I see kyrie coming here and playing at least 2 seasons as found money. he literally dropped in our lap and all we had to do was give up a bunch of scrubs. we couldn't find a better deal even if we were playing a video game.

and if all we get is 2 seasons then so be it, again we didn't lose anything worth keeping. everyone of those players we got rid of needed to go, they maxed out and got as far as they were going.

and honestly if kyrie wants to go to NY or wherever he's not looking at things clearly either. he'll be 28 when he leaves(in his prime) and on a bad wheel. he'll have a real small window and his career will end abruptly. if he stays here he'd likey get a chance to extend his career and win more championships over a long period of time.

What I'm saying is that Boston has a fringe of bad fans who don't really deserve the success they get to experience, and that the minority of people who got themselves all hysterical over a guy who played a primary hand in pulling the franchise out of Piece and KG's shadow and it putting in the place it is today asking for a commensurate paycheck need to stop celebrating injuries. A guy destroying his body for the betterment of the Cs isn't something to be smug about.

This!

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2018, 10:37:57 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Thomas is sour for a different reason than DeRozan. Thomas can't let it go because he knows Boston is the only place where he ever had, and will ever have, big success. He will never get that star back.

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2018, 10:41:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
One thing that is not being discussed, is how to fix the problem of players with one year remaining on their contracts, making it publicly known that their leaving in free agency and will only go to one team in particular (at the time Paul George, and now Kawhi). Maybe it can be called the LA Lakers rule.

Maybe the team (A) with the player can file some sort of tampering charges. Have the league investigate the claim, where the team (A) tries to prove that their receiving lower than market value trade proposals, because the other teams (B) believe the player will leave in free agency due to the player's desire to play for one particular team (C). To bring this back to the Lakers (C), they didn't even try to trade for George or Kawhi because they strongly felt those players would just sign during free agency, so why give up any assets.

If the league does find merit to those tampering charges, maybe the penalty could be a monetary fine and loss of first round picks to the team (the player's desired team in free agency) that signs the player. In this case, Kawhi signing with the Lakers next off season. It would also give a team like the Lakers, an incentive to make a genuine trade offer the year before free agency, and avoid being fined.

What would you propose, or do you have no problem with what players like George (last year with Indiana) and Kawhi have done?

I have a serious problem with a player forcing his way to another team and in the process weakening the negotiating power of his current team. The player of course has an incentive to do this so he does not go to a gutted team.

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2018, 08:57:27 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
why do I have to feel bad for IT or side with him? he's a player whose game has no substance. what I mean by that for those that need that explained to them is he was a guy who needed the ball in his hand all the time to let you know he was even playing and he needed about 8 picks every possession to be able to score.

he was not a good player. and the reason why smart got the money and IT didn't is because marcus could score 0 pts and have way more of an impact on winning than if IT scored 40.

avery Bradley, Olynyk, amir and crowder along with IT - they were the bridge team. all guys that play so hard but aren't very good. the plan all along was to have a team that entertained the fans - they did that. meanwhile behind the scenes danny was paying attention to the real players JB, Tatum and Smart.

ownership and danny wanted C's fans to like those IT led guys. but you don't have to love them, you're all taking it further than they ever intended. you owe them nothing.

Andrew DeClercq played hard for this team, should we have signed him to a max deal? maybe throw a parade to let him know how much we appreciate him?

You're just going to keep pretending that Isaiah never got injured and this is just what his actual market was, huh?

he wasn't a max contract guy, that's not "pretending" of any kind.

I wish he didn't get injured... so the irrational portion of the fan base would have that spelt out for them.

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2018, 09:03:39 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen

I don't know the answer to this, but did Isaiah play through the injury for the benefit of the team, or for personal gain to prove despite his size, he can play through an injury and is deserving of a max contract?

no he played through the injury because he knew he was playing for a contract(which he thought was going to be of the max variety).

he could use the injury in the bargaining.

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2018, 09:45:34 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
One thing that is not being discussed, is how to fix the problem of players with one year remaining on their contracts, making it publicly known that their leaving in free agency and will only go to one team in particular (at the time Paul George, and now Kawhi). Maybe it can be called the LA Lakers rule.

Maybe the team (A) with the player can file some sort of tampering charges. Have the league investigate the claim, where the team (A) tries to prove that their receiving lower than market value trade proposals, because the other teams (B) believe the player will leave in free agency due to the player's desire to play for one particular team (C). To bring this back to the Lakers (C), they didn't even try to trade for George or Kawhi because they strongly felt those players would just sign during free agency, so why give up any assets.

If the league does find merit to those tampering charges, maybe the penalty could be a monetary fine and loss of first round picks to the team (the player's desired team in free agency) that signs the player. In this case, Kawhi signing with the Lakers next off season. It would also give a team like the Lakers, an incentive to make a genuine trade offer the year before free agency, and avoid being fined.

What would you propose, or do you have no problem with what players like George (last year with Indiana) and Kawhi have done?

I have a serious problem with a player forcing his way to another team and in the process weakening the negotiating power of his current team. The player of course has an incentive to do this so he does not go to a gutted team.

One thing I’d like to see the NBA adopt similar to MLB and NFL is compensation picks for teams who lose certain level players in free agency.

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2018, 01:15:38 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
why do I have to feel bad for IT or side with him? he's a player whose game has no substance. what I mean by that for those that need that explained to them is he was a guy who needed the ball in his hand all the time to let you know he was even playing and he needed about 8 picks every possession to be able to score.

he was not a good player. and the reason why smart got the money and IT didn't is because marcus could score 0 pts and have way more of an impact on winning than if IT scored 40.

avery Bradley, Olynyk, amir and crowder along with IT - they were the bridge team. all guys that play so hard but aren't very good. the plan all along was to have a team that entertained the fans - they did that. meanwhile behind the scenes danny was paying attention to the real players JB, Tatum and Smart.

ownership and danny wanted C's fans to like those IT led guys. but you don't have to love them, you're all taking it further than they ever intended. you owe them nothing.

Andrew DeClercq played hard for this team, should we have signed him to a max deal? maybe throw a parade to let him know how much we appreciate him?

You're just going to keep pretending that Isaiah never got injured and this is just what his actual market was, huh?

I wish he didn't get injured... so the irrational portion of the fan base would have that spelt out for them.

So you're honestly of the opinion that had he played this past season with the same production he posted in the 16-17 season he'd still have signed a one-year minimum deal?

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2018, 01:32:56 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Andy DeClercq wasn't THAT much better than IT.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:36:17 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2018, 06:23:03 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I'm not sure there's much that can be done.  I don't like the current landscape but the alternative is that players straight up leave in free agency.  At least San Antonio and Indiana were able to receive All-Star players in their trades.  In Indiana's case they may have gotten the best player in the deal.  Oladipo has eclipsed George if he maintains or improves his current level of play.

At the end of the day the Superstar players will always have the ability to dictate their destinations.  I'd rather players speak up before they reach free agency.  The three moves that come to mind are Shaq to LA, LeBron to Miami, and KD to Golden State.  I bet all three of those franchises would have preferred to move them a year early.

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen

So you're honestly of the opinion that had he played this past season with the same production he posted in the 16-17 season he'd still have signed a one-year minimum deal?

for the cavs or for us?

if us? he might have had the same production. for the cavs? no way, that was a disaster from the start & the type of player that IT is was never going to succeed playing next to Lebron.

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2018, 10:17:59 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

for the cavs or for us?

if us? he might have had the same production. for the cavs? no way, that was a disaster from the start & the type of player that IT is was never going to succeed playing next to Lebron.

IT had one of the best shooting seasons ever in 2016-17, a fact that was discussed many times on this board. He was up there with Steph Curry in terms of high volume coupled with shooting efficiency.

And what's this "type of player" comment about? You're saying he would have been less effective playing next to the best player in the world - who is one of the best-passing forwards of all time? Lebron is perfectly content playing off the ball or as the screen-setter in P&R, especially at this point in his career.

IT's problem on the Cavs was that his ego and didn't match his post-injury performance and effort. But if he was still capable of giving 25ppg on 62% total shooting, and he gutted things out like he did for us in the playoffs...in what world does he not get a max deal?

« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2018, 11:27:25 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
And what's this "type of player" comment about? You're saying he would have been less effective playing next to the best player in the world - who is one of the best-passing forwards of all time? Lebron is perfectly content playing off the ball or as the screen-setter in P&R, especially at this point in his career.

IT's problem on the Cavs was that his ego
see all you guys in support of IT have the answers and you're still asking "why"? and "how"?.

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
for the cavs or for us?

Based on what? Don't give me some "Isaiah needed the ball in his hands to be effective" nonsense either, because he was plenty effective filling the two-guard spot in the offense next to Marcus or Evan Turner while in Boston.

Isaiah wasn't some smoke-and-mirrors creation of Stevens, either. Prior to getting to the Celtics Isaiah was pretty consistently a 20 point per 36 minute scorer on 57-58 TS%, and those are roughly the same numbers he put up in his first season in a half in Boston as well. Brad definitely got the best out of him in 16-17, but he was playing at a high level prior to that as well. Coming off two deep playoff runs with Boston and Cleveland as an efficient 20 a night, you still think he'd have gotten a one-year minimum deal?

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2018, 06:02:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

IT's problem on the Cavs was that his ego
see all you guys in support of IT have the answers and you're still asking "why"? and "how"?.

Oh look. Someone used creative snips of what another person wrote on the internet, in order to misrepresent it. That fools everyone!