Author Topic: Shams and Woj Bomb both reporting Kawhi to Raptors for Demar all but done deal.  (Read 27760 times)

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
There is no doubt that Danny could have beaten that offer if he really wanted to.
Jaylen Brown + expiring contracts would have beaten out this deal easily.

Danny would have been ravaged, and rightfully so, for trading Jaylen for a 1-year rental that sat out the previous year lol

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Love the move for Toronto.

Clearly improved the team, and if Kawhi doesn't stay, they can then proceed to blowing it up, which they should be doing to begin with.

Plus, they can now have the option to trade Kawhi to an LA team if they want too, get assets to help the rebuild.

And basically all it costed is an All-Star that we don't know for sure he can carry a team to the Finals.

Great trade.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
There is no doubt that Danny could have beaten that offer if he really wanted to.

Danny would have been ravaged, and rightfully so, for trading Jaylen for a 1-year rental that sat out the previous year lol
not only that, but kawhi didn’t want to play for Boston.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Indeed, Danny had no desire to move any of the "good stuff" as Zach Lowe put it once it became clear the Kawhi wanted no part of Boston.

Similar to the Kyrie trade, we weren't going to move Jaylen or the Sacramento pick unless we heard good things from the player's camp.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Did you watch how the Spurs ran their offense this past year?

If Pop has shown anything, its that he's very flexible to changing his scheme to fit his talent. Aldridge got plenty of mid range and post touches last year. I'm sure they'll build on DeRozen's improved playmaking and ball-movement of last year and work to build a functional offense.

I think they'll still be looking at a 6, 7, 8 seed myself, but they'll be a solid team again.

where was this in the playoffs?

he resorted to his bad old habits. Also is not a strong defender

fit wise it is not the best. I agree with Greece666. 

But the best asset they could get in return for Leonard

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Love the move for Toronto.

Clearly improved the team, and if Kawhi doesn't stay, they can then proceed to blowing it up, which they should be doing to begin with.

Plus, they can now have the option to trade Kawhi to an LA team if they want too, get assets to help the rebuild.

And basically all it costed is an All-Star that we don't know for sure he can carry a team to the Finals.

Great trade.

agreed

It was the same story for the raptors 5 years straight.  Great regular season followed by disappointing playoff exits

A change one way or the other was in order

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Love this move for the Raps. Got rid of one of their 2 albatross contracts, upgrading their roster in the process.

Toronto is a really nice city. And it's not crazy to think Kawhi will like it there once he gets acquainted. He'll also have nice marketing possibilities, as the Raptors are Canada's only team.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
People keep referring to Kawhi as a one-year rental.  There's some flight risk, sure.  But I would bet that he'll resign unless things go really badly.  And as has been said, if he doesn't, the raptors can start over more or less (which isn't the worst thing).

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
People keep referring to Kawhi as a one-year rental.  There's some flight risk, sure.  But I would bet that he'll resign unless things go really badly.  And as has been said, if he doesn't, the raptors can start over more or less (which isn't the worst thing).

I think we know he's a 1-year rental because A) that seems to be the impression of GM's everywhere. and B) That seems to be what he's telling everyone.

If he wasn't Danny would have traded for him already.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I think we know he's a 1-year rental because A) that seems to be the impression of GM's everywhere. and B) That seems to be what he's telling everyone.

Sounds like Paul George all over again.

http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2017/6/19/paul-george-will-be-a-rental-for-the-2017-18-season

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Boston finishes first in the East...Philly and Raps have to play each other in the second round. Sets up nicely for the Celtics.

Jumping the gun there, Orlando.

Exactly. Worst thing that could happen to Celts happened.

Leonard is like another Lebron. People already forget

Not a chance man. James on another level.

How is this the worst thing that could have happened to the Celtics? Boston adding 2 all stars to a young core that went 7 with the best player in the world? And then James leaves the East? I will take that trade off everyday.

You already forgot

Leonard is just a tad below but younger and better defender

This is crazy talk. Leonard is definitely a better shooter and defender than Lebron, but Lebron is a much better player in every other aspect than Leonard, especially offensively. What makes Lebron so good offensively is his versatility, which Leonard just can’t compete with offensively. Also, Lebron never had this injury concern that Leonard is dealing with.

Leonard is definitely All-NBA talent, but I’ve long thought that he’s been significantly overrated. I still view him best fit as a complementary star or a 1B option.

Toronto is definitely a better two-way team now, but they will miss Derozan’s playmaking and scoring. Boston and Toronto are clearly the two top teams in the East now, but we’re still the definitive favorites, especially with Leonard’s injury uncertainty.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Boston finishes first in the East...Philly and Raps have to play each other in the second round. Sets up nicely for the Celtics.

Jumping the gun there, Orlando.

Exactly. Worst thing that could happen to Celts happened.

Leonard is like another Lebron. People already forget

Not a chance man. James on another level.

How is this the worst thing that could have happened to the Celtics? Boston adding 2 all stars to a young core that went 7 with the best player in the world? And then James leaves the East? I will take that trade off everyday.

You already forgot

Leonard is just a tad below but younger and better defender

This is crazy talk. Leonard is definitely a better shooter and defender than Lebron, but Lebron is a much better player in every other aspect than Leonard, especially offensively. What makes Lebron so good offensively is his versatility, which Leonard just can’t compete with offensively. Also, Lebron never had this injury concern that Leonard is dealing with.

Leonard is definitely All-NBA talent, but I’ve long thought that he’s been significantly overrated. I still view him best fit as a complementary star or a 1B option.

Toronto is definitely a better two-way team now, but they will miss Derozan’s playmaking and scoring. Boston and Toronto are clearly the two top teams in the East now, but we’re still the definitive favorites, especially with Leonard’s injury uncertainty.

what playmaking? the guy ultimately is a hog... watch him during 2nd halfs and see how many times he passes the ball

Also you forget that with Leonard , the Spurs were dominating the GSW in the playoffs 2 seasons ago ....and when he went down with injuries, Spurs had no chance

Unlike Lebron, Leonard can shut down Durant (or slow him down alot).

Lebron is a versatile offensive player for sure. But also has faults in his game and is also a drama queen. 

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Sounds like Paul George all over again.

http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2017/6/19/paul-george-will-be-a-rental-for-the-2017-18-season

Well I for one am glad we didn't trade Oladipo for a guy who hasn't really helped at all..

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
One thing I'll say, the Raps GM is a cold-hearted SOB.  8)

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
jpotter, Kawhi is a much better scorer than DeRozan though. I'll concede the play-making aspect, but given his ability to play in ball movement system even as a bit of a pound the ball and make a move scorer should be something they can adjust to.

Not like DeRozan was a natural playmaker either.