Author Topic: Shams and Woj Bomb both reporting Kawhi to Raptors for Demar all but done deal.  (Read 27746 times)

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Masai will be fired next summer

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I thought it was time for SAS to forget the playoffs and focus on young player development. And I didn't think DeRozan would be a good fit with their playing style.

Their FO obv thinks otherwise, and I'll take their assesment over mine. Still curious to see how they will use DeRozan and how they will handle it if they stay out of the playoffs.

and why is that?

can't shoot.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

maybe or maybe not

Raps worst case, clear money. Maybe they have a few 2019 FAs in mind

As well what are the chance Leonard sits out again?  he not only will forfeit his salary but could be black listed around the league

He has to play.

Raptors can (and good chance) will trade him by deadline and recoup assets at the end of the day

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I thought it was time for SAS to forget the playoffs and focus on young player development. And I didn't think DeRozan would be a good fit with their playing style.

Their FO obv thinks otherwise, and I'll take their assesment over mine. Still curious to see how they will use DeRozan and how they will handle it if they stay out of the playoffs.

and why is that?

Not creating for teammates.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Pick is protected 1-20 and becomes a second rounder after this year. No way they lose a lottery pick.

Dang no one was offering ANYTHING for Kawhi.

Correct. Think everyone got the sense he was not resigning or might be more injured than expected. Even Philly could have done better than that. Boston could have easily gotten him for Brown and the Kings pick IMO

You need to match salaries, and given our salary structure it wouldn’t have been an easy fit. 

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

and why is that?

can't shoot.

Demar Derozan can't shoot? He's doesn't have 3 point range, but he's one of the best (if not the best) mid range shooters/scorers in the league
I'm bitter.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

and why is that?

can't shoot.

I was thinking of adding that too to my reply to LakersFan_33. Lack of 3-pointer is more of a team thing than sthg I would blame on an individual that's why I left it out, but sure with Leonard and Green gone, SAS best (arguably: the only) threepointer is Belinelli.

Just for context, I'm fully aware that Popovich relied heavily on isos in the 90s.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

... because he makes the rebuild they were already staring down next summer much more painless?

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't see Masai getting fired over this. He'll get at least two years to work on a rebuild before he's on the hot seat.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

and why is that?

can't shoot.

Demar Derozan can't shoot? He's doesn't have 3 point range, but he's one of the best (if not the best) mid range shooters/scorers in the league

again you are just rehashing my pt

he can't shoot the 3, not a spot up shooter.  His bread and butter is scoring and short mid range jump shots (twisting his body etc).  He also needs the ball in his hands alot.  Spurs on the other hand are built on passing

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Good move by the Spurs.  Get an All-NBA player under contract for 2-3 years (year 3 is a player option) and prospect in Poeltl who showed decent progress between his first and second year.  A good haul considering it was a buyers market for Kawhi.

Great move by the Raptors.  Get the best player in the deal and it gives them a clearer direction.  They get to compete for a championship this year, and if Kawhi walks then they rebuild, something people thought they should do anyway after another disappointing playoffs.  They get to compete for a championship and/or rebuild, they're no longer stuck on that good-but-not-good-enough treadmill.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I don't see Masai getting fired over this. He'll get at least two years to work on a rebuild before he's on the hot seat.

doubt it even then

Toronto loves the Raptors. As long as the team makes the playoffs and entertainment factor is there (Drake etc).  He will stay

But he is not taking adv of this and trying to be proactive. 

Ultimately its either get Leonard on board and have him sign an extension.  Or trade for Shai Alexandre (local boy) or other young future assets.  And if he has been looking to trade Derozan in the right opportunity. This is a win win situation for him

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
What hurts more: this or the IT trade?

I mean, DD didn’t want to leave Toronto either and he probably thought he’d make his legacy there. Sounds like he got blindsided by the trade too. For a guy who might not even stay beyond a year!
IT trade, DeRozen is still getting paid.

Staying in Boston wasn't gonna get IT paid

Could have given him a better chance.  The Cleveland experience hurt him big time.  He looked bad, fought with teammates, and was dumped, whereupon he decided to sit out the rest of the year.  In Boston he’d probably have looked a little better and certainly wouldn’t have fought with teammates, and might have handled his rest and recovery in a way that made him more marketable, or at least resignabke by the C’s.

IT was in Boston for only 2 1/4 years. Ainge didn't just make a decision about IT. The entire C's ownership and management team rightly decided that the whole scrappy IT, AB and Crowder thing wasn't going to get us over the top under any circumstances. The idea that the franchise owed IT a commitment that would have doomed the franchise is crazy. If we owed any loyalty to a player, it was Avery Bradley, not IT.

Its unfortunate that this transition corresponded with IT's injury. It is possible that there was a window where IT could have managed his injury and returned to his high level of play. The more likely scenario is that he was going to continue to decline regardless. He's 5'8 and his athleticism has to be razor sharp for him to play at this level.

Either way, we had a plan and there is no scenario where IT was going to be part of it.

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Obviously, there is nothing that Danny can do to help offset the Kawhi trade for Toronto. But does Danny make a move this offseason knowing who the top competition in the East is now? Understandably, the goal is to win the title and not just the East.

No need. KL isn't going to be going all out for the Raps. He's a 1-year rental who sat out all of last year. He'll just be playing to boost his stats for next summer..

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Did you watch how the Spurs ran their offense this past year?

If Pop has shown anything, its that he's very flexible to changing his scheme to fit his talent. Aldridge got plenty of mid range and post touches last year. I'm sure they'll build on DeRozen's improved playmaking and ball-movement of last year and work to build a functional offense.

I think they'll still be looking at a 6, 7, 8 seed myself, but they'll be a solid team again.