Author Topic: Shams and Woj Bomb both reporting Kawhi to Raptors for Demar all but done deal.  (Read 27732 times)

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I don't see how you could see it as anything other than good for the Lakers...Send Kawhi to a team that he probably won't stay at long term, see how healthy he is, and give up none of your young players/picks.

If it works out that way...Lakers are the big winners today.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Line up match up issue: Who guards KL, if Jaylen covers Danny Green? 

May have to switch Jaylen onto KL, and put GH on Green.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Boston finishes first in the East...Philly and Raps have to play each other in the second round. Sets up nicely for the Celtics.

Jumping the gun there, Orlando.

Exactly. Worst thing that could happen to Celts happened.

Leonard is like another Lebron. People already forget

Not a chance man. James on another level.

How is this the worst thing that could have happened to the Celtics? Boston adding 2 all stars to a young core that went 7 with the best player in the world? And then James leaves the East? I will take that trade off everyday.

You already forgot

Leonard is just a tad below but younger and better defender

Haven't forgot anything. But Leonard is oft hurt. And James owned the Celtics. I will take that deal.

Leonard has been recently injured. Not previously

Well Leonard owns the Celtics too. He has dominated against the Celts in the past

Lebron is the best player in the world. Kawhi is not. We are not certain if he's a top 5 player or a top 25 player at this point, given the knee issue.

If healthy, Kawhi is a first team all NBA talent. Toronto is hoping that he's healthy for a year.

I don't think Derozan is a huge loss for TOR, as he makes a lot of money and is the 2nd/3rd best player on a championship team.

I think this gives TOR one year to go all in and see if they can win. Otherwise, Kawhi bounces and Kyle Lowry is getting old. Very small window here for TOR.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't see how you could see it as anything other than good for the Lakers...Send Kawhi to a team that he probably won't stay at long term, see how healthy he is, and give up none of your young players/picks.

If it works out that way...Lakers are the big winners today.

Again not necessarily

Raptors dont have to totally risk this. Leonard could be traded by deadline

My bet is for Shai Alexandre plus tobias harris etc

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Or for Kuzma ...if Lakers finally cave in

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79

It might be a consideration, but you would be talking about a 3 month rental, if they knew he was going there anyway.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
What hurts more: this or the IT trade?

I mean, DD didn’t want to leave Toronto either and he probably thought he’d make his legacy there. Sounds like he got blindsided by the trade too. For a guy who might not even stay beyond a year!
IT trade, DeRozen is still getting paid.

Staying in Boston wasn't gonna get IT paid
I'm bitter.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Thoughts:
* Pop is just about done coaching in the NBA. Reports surfaced in the past few years that he was considering hanging it up by 2020 or so. Guess when DeRozan's contract expires? 2021. DeRozan's contract runs just about the length of time I'd wager Pop plans to continue coaching.
* So what if Pop is almost done coaching? Well, it's a safe bet that he's not looking forward to retiring in the midst of a rebuild. He clearly wants to go out coaching a competitive Spurs team, even if they're not going to be a true title contender.
* Pop has always presented himself as someone who thinks bigger than the game. He's got five rings, he's about to coach the Olympic team in 2020, his wife recently passed -- I don't think he's super adamant on coaching a title contender. He knows how hard it is to win in the league. I think he's more than content to leave the game coaching a respectable, playoff team.
* The Spurs likely had no interest in the Kyrie and draft pick trade because of Kyrie's injury issues and flight risk after the season that Kawhi posed.
* This Raptors trade, while initially baffling from the Spurs perspective, makes sense: it satisfies the short term goal of remaining competitive in Pop's final years of coaching, while also netting them some things to look forward to in the post-Pop years in draft picks and Poeltl. This explains those reports that the Spurs weren't super keen on trade packages centered around draft picks and young, unproven prospects like Fultz.
* This is an absolute win for Toronto. They won 59 games last year on the strength of a revamped offense and great depth. They upgrade from a lower-tier star in DeRozan to a top 5 (when healthy), 2-time DPOY, and Finals MVP in Kawhi, add a veteran 3-and-D wing in Green, keep their vaunted depth, AND elevate the reported architect behind their offense to head coach -- all at the cost of a productive-yet-expendable bench big and a protected first rounder.
* Even if they end up losing Kawhi... this season was already projected to be the Raptors' last all-in shot with this core. Lowry and Ibaka's contracts expire in 2019 and Valanciunas can opt out next season, but let's assume he opts in because he thinks he won't recoup that money in free agency. That means in 2019, the Raptors would've lost 3/4ths of their core players with DeRozan being the only guy remaining.
* In 2019, they'd likely either have to seek out another star player to pair with a 30-year-old DeRozan or start preparing to trade him in summer 2020 as a 31-year-old making $28 million despite poor defense and no 3-point game.
* If the Raptors were likely already going to be staring down a rebuild following this season, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'd rather do that without DeRozan's contract on the books. This trade allows them to immensely raise their ceiling in the short term while making an eventual rebuild much less messier from a financial standpoint.

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Speaking about the match ups...

Brown on Leonard

Hayward on Green

Think that is best option.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I thought it was time for SAS to forget the playoffs and focus on young player development. And I didn't think DeRozan would be a good fit with their playing style.

Their FO obv thinks otherwise, and I'll take their assesment over mine. Still curious to see how they will use DeRozan and how they will handle it if they stay out of the playoffs.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What hurts more: this or the IT trade?

I mean, DD didn’t want to leave Toronto either and he probably thought he’d make his legacy there. Sounds like he got blindsided by the trade too. For a guy who might not even stay beyond a year!
IT trade, DeRozen is still getting paid.

Staying in Boston wasn't gonna get IT paid

Could have given him a better chance.  The Cleveland experience hurt him big time.  He looked bad, fought with teammates, and was dumped, whereupon he decided to sit out the rest of the year.  In Boston he’d probably have looked a little better and certainly wouldn’t have fought with teammates, and might have handled his rest and recovery in a way that made him more marketable, or at least resignabke by the C’s.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Vegas odds on Lakers winning have not dropped since it is expected that KL will not want to stay in Toronto, and that they will flip him at trade deadline to Lakers. Who knows.

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
If Kawhi stays in Toronto for more than one year I will be shocked. SO HAPPY he didn't land here. I think there is a good chance he winds up in LA as a FA after his year with Toronto is over and LA can keep their young guys in the process.

Long term this is looking good for LA IMO.

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Obviously, there is nothing that Danny can do to help offset the Kawhi trade for Toronto. But does Danny make a move this offseason knowing who the top competition in the East is now? Understandably, the goal is to win the title and not just the East.

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
I thought it was time for SAS to forget the playoffs and focus on young player development. And I didn't think DeRozan would be a good fit with their playing style.

Their FO obv thinks otherwise, and I'll take their assesment over mine. Still curious to see how they will use DeRozan and how they will handle it if they stay out of the playoffs.

and why is that?