Author Topic: Shams and Woj Bomb both reporting Kawhi to Raptors for Demar all but done deal.  (Read 27767 times)

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Who else is included in this deal to make it work? A straight Derozan-Leonard swap doesn't seem to work to me?

i read a report OG Anunoby may be part of deal.

I said Kawhi/Green for DeRozan/OG yesterday.  We’ll see if I have the players correct.

If that's what the Spurs were demanding, I can see why the Lakers, Sixers, and Celtics couldn't get a deal done.

Great negotiating by the Spurs. If they wind up with OG and DeRozan, that would be amazing.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Move makes sense for Raptors. They weren’t getting by Boston standing pat. Now they have a shot if Kawhi is healthy. I suspect has been given assurances he is, or trade conditioned on medical exam.
All trades are conditional on medical.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Raptors just burned down their future for a rental. And they still will not be good enough to beat Boston.

And you can book Raps v Celtics on opening night
What exactly was Toronto's future though?  They weren't better than Boston before the trade, at least now in a series with Boston, Toronto will have the best player on the floor and if you have that you have at least a decent chance of winning a series. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'll have to ask Saltlover on this, but I had a discussion on this that had the Raptors potentially getting two max slots for 2020's FA+a bit more cap if Kawhi bolts. If this is true, this is an awesome deal for Toronto as it improves them this year for contention and allows them to properly rebuild if everything doesn't work out by tanking for a year or two and then go for big FAs.
That's true assuming no other moves that add out year salary.

Is rebuilding through free agency the right move for them?

It seems to rarely work unless if you have 1 big star to lure FAs in, or a big market (even that is far from a sure thing).

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Toronto taking the OKC gamble. Giving up a young player like OG could hurt them but you gotta give up something. No one else was going to give up a All-star player like DeRozan so the Spurs made out well.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Raptors just burned down their future for a rental. And they still will not be good enough to beat Boston.

What exactly was Toronto's future though?  They weren't better than Boston before the trade, at least now in a series with Boston, Toronto will have the best player on the floor and if you have that you have at least a decent chance of winning a series.

For one year? If the Raps gave up significant pieces that are young and future picks for a one year guy, that means next year going forward they will not be good. And this move does not put them over the hump in a series vs Boston nor Philly.

They could have been a playoff team and gradually rebuilt kind of like the Spurs do but now if the Raps lose Leonard next year...they are starting over.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!
We got a fun division to watch this year.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
It seems to rarely work unless if you have 1 big star to lure FAs in, or a big market (even that is far from a sure thing).
Works just fine to eat up salary for draft picks as part of a rebuild if you miss though.

Better to have clear books so you can sign value contracts and eat salary for picks than have clogged books with older/declining players.

If they plan is to GET two max FAs like LA its a mistake to operate that way for Toronto. But to position yourself to rebuild from Lowry/DeRozen with a clear cap is good.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

For one year? If the Raps gave up significant pieces that are young and future picks for a one year guy, that means next year going forward they will not be good. And this move does not put them over the hump in a series vs Boston nor Philly.

I’d have favored them against Philly already this year.

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think this is best scenario for celtics.
No kawhi in Philly or LA. Toronto takes him but give up derozan...
Nice

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

i disagree .  They got rid of a huge contract, with a player i think mgmt was not totally on board with after his nothing playofrs . i doubt they would be much better this year anyway , if Kawhi stays thats great move.  if he leaves , then fine , the Derose was becomming less popular with his no defense game.  They were stuck below the Celtics .  This move gives them a chance to improve and if not, push the button to rebuild with space to do other things .   It was a great move for both .  Spurs spit in the eye of Magic Johnson and Lakers ....don't create another super power next door in the West.   They get a really good player , who will come around to playing in SA .  Kudos to both Clubs .   Kawhi needed to be brought down to earth .  Maybe he ll cool off up north.   Or do an Alonzo Mourning and FAKE more injury to sit out the season.  This judt shows his true nature and hurts his worth in the long run.

The big Loser is the Lakers.  hands down.....taking on the the Lebron Circus was supposed to include up to TWO all stars to follow . NOW ...not in two years .   The door was slamed in their face.  They have maybe two good years of Lebron contract and maybe two declining years . Then he is anold man in the NBA.   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:58:07 AM by SHAQATTACK »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I’d have favored them against Philly already this year.

Not sure about that. Maybe but it is razor thin esp if the Raptors burned their bench in this deal. Bottom line is I do not see them being better than the Celtics.

Not really sure how the Lakers lost. They can just sign him for free next year and keep their young players. Long run they are a big winner

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

They could have been a playoff team and gradually rebuilt kind of like the Spurs do but now if the Raps lose Leonard next year...they are starting over.
No one was going to give them anything for Lowry/Ibaka/Valanciunas at this point.

The only way to really get value in a blow up was to move DeRozen. I agree with you if the deal is multiple picks and young pieces, but we really don't know yet.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The big Loser is the Lakers.  hands down.....taking on the the Lebron Circus was supposed to include up to TWO all stars to follow .   The door was slamed in their face.  They have maybe two good years of Lebron contract and maybe two declining years . Then he is anold man in the NBA.
Meh, I think its fine if Kawhi comes in FA. That's when its decided for the Lakers. I get them holding tight to Ingram, I think he'll be really good. Realistically they need one of their young pieces to pop to compliment LBJ + other star. And I think Ingram is their best shot.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!

i disagree .  They got rid of a huge contract, with a player i think mgmt was not totally on board with after his nothing playofrs . i doubt they would be much better this year anyway , if Kawhi stays thats great move.  if he leaves , then fine , the Derose was becomming less popular with his no defense game.  They were stuck below the Celtics .  This move gives them a chance to improve and if not, push the button to rebuild with space to do other things .   It was a great move for both .  Spurs spit in tue eye of Magic Johnson and Lakers ....don't create another super power next door in the West.   They get a really good player , who will come around to playing in SA . 

The big Loser is the Lakers.  hands down.....taking on the the Lebron Circus was supposed to include up to TWO all stars to follow .   The door was slamed in their face.  They have maybe two good years of Lebron contract and maybe two declining years . Then he is anold man in the NBA.

I’m not sure I’d consider it a great move for Toronto. Only because I see him walking and they will have given good assests for rental. Their gamble tho