Author Topic: Shams and Woj Bomb both reporting Kawhi to Raptors for Demar all but done deal.  (Read 27755 times)

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
There is no doubt that Danny could have beaten that offer if he really wanted to.
Jaylen Brown + expiring contracts would have beaten out this deal easily.

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Anyone have any idea how much money Leonard will lose in taxes this year with this deal? Leaving Texas (no state tax) and going to Canada (extra tax I think?) seems significant.

Leonard-OG wing positions will be nasty defensively.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Pick is protected 1-20 and becomes a second rounder after this year. No way they lose a lottery pick.

Dang no one was offering ANYTHING for Kawhi.

Correct. Think everyone got the sense he was not resigning or might be more injured than expected. Even Philly could have done better than that. Boston could have easily gotten him for Brown and the Kings pick IMO

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Spurs essentially traded Kawhi for Derozan straight up. Pretty short sided move.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Toronto improved a little but I still like our chances against them. PHI is the big loser here. I think TOR is now the 2nd best in East, not "The Process" that's bringing back virtually the same team  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Irving + picks or Hayward + picks would have been the comparable offer from the Celtics that the Spurs were looking for.

It sounds more and more like that was either just media rumors or the Spurs releasing info of what kind of a deal they wanted. That makes me glad, because I like our top 5 guys. 

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Pick is protected 1-20 and becomes a second rounder after this year. No way they lose a lottery pick.

Dang no one was offering ANYTHING for Kawhi.

Correct. Think everyone got the sense he was not resigning or might be more injured than expected. Even Philly could have done better than that. Boston could have easily gotten him for Brown and the Kings pick IMO
The Celtics could have gotten him for just Jaylen Brown.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Irving + picks or Hayward + picks would have been the comparable offer from the Celtics that the Spurs were looking for.

It sounds more and more like that was either just media rumors or the Spurs releasing info of what kind of a deal they wanted. That makes me glad, because I like our top 5 guys.
"Pick" not picks.

The pick is either a 2nd or 21-30 so its low value no matter what.

Spurs didn't get any good offers from anyone and just finally decided to take the best of what they could and move forward.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Lakers might end up being the biggest winner of all if he comes to LA next summer. Get him and keep the rest of your young talent.

Doubt it. Look at what happened with George and OKC

Lakers too cheap to trade for Leonard. Players remeber these kind of things

yup ..LA had their chance ....Magic just thought Spurs would capitulate and do any deal.....Lebron signed quick ...to give the Lakers as much chance as possible to draw CP3.  PG.  Boogie and Kawhi , they were not getting ANY without Lebron signing.   And they Still Didn't .   

Lakers are the BIg loser is this ...their whole plan or scheme with Leturd blwe up last night .  Yes they will still be good , but the object is NOt just to compete , but win .  They are not gonna beat the others in West with Ball , Ingram and Lebron .  An't happening .   That leaves three years to get Kawhi or another star to help the Whiner ....as he gets older and closer to his first major injury . 

Even if Kawhi walks , the Lakers still have to incorporate the LECLUB scheme of playing ball,  where Lonzo becomes useless ,  Lebron calls all the plays ,  does Luke bend over and let Lebron coach the team .  It will take 1-2 years to settle the AlPHA s struggle that certainly will cocure, its happened with Lebron everywhere he goes .  He fires coaches , and get his way .  So...it takes a while to settle the pecking order in a Lebron team .   By the time they get this sorted out , Lebron is even richer , and out of years .   Kobe demise.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston finishes first in the East...Philly and Raps have to play each other in the second round. Sets up nicely for the Celtics.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Toronto improved a little but I still like our chances against them. PHI is the big loser here. I think TOR is now the 2nd best in East, not "The Process" that's bringing back virtually the same team  :P

Toronto always was the second best team.  They’ve solidified it.

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Good deal for Toronto.  If Derozan stayed, they would have been forced to overpay to re-up on old guys like Lowry and Ibaka to keep Derozan and fans happy for the next 5 years.

Now, they upgrade Derozan to Kawhi for one year.  If he stays, awesome.  If he leaves, then they have a clear direction to reboot after sucking up one final year of Lowry and Ibaka contracts on their books.  They also have a roster right now that can play more small ball than before.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Like I said...boston's biggest win this offseason is getting guys healthy and James going West. I like Leonard but he can't carry a team like James does.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Pretty nice value for the Spurs to get an actual star for Kawhi after no one was willing to make a godfather offer. This lets Toronto get one more roll of the dice before almost certainly blowing it up, and they don't lose any of their rookie deal guys. Seems like it makes mutual sense.

Wonder if Kawhi will report to Toronto though - he can still blow this up and seems capable of doing it.

EDIT: Oh Danny Green is a solid wing pickup for Toronto too.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Boston finishes first in the East...Philly and Raps have to play each other in the second round. Sets up nicely for the Celtics.
Is it weird that I'm not certain that Philly finishes third?

Heck if Kawhi is still they same guy I can see the Raptors beating out the C's for the 1 seed too.