Author Topic: Shams and Woj Bomb both reporting Kawhi to Raptors for Demar all but done deal.  (Read 28023 times)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Pick is protected 1-20 and becomes a second rounder after this year. No way they lose a lottery pick.

Dang no one was offering ANYTHING for Kawhi.

Correct. Think everyone got the sense he was not resigning or might be more injured than expected. Even Philly could have done better than that. Boston could have easily gotten him for Brown and the Kings pick IMO
The Celtics could have gotten him for just Jaylen Brown.

that would have bennvery foolish indeed, thank heavens DA did not do it.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Spurs essentially traded Kawhi for Derozan straight up. Pretty short sided move.

We can only say that if we know what others were offering. If he was going to leave at the end of the year, Derozan is better than nothing. Not great, but there clearly weren't a lot of good options on the table for SAS.

Mike

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Pretty nice value for the Spurs to get an actual star for Kawhi after no one was willing to make a godfather offer. This lets Toronto get one more roll of the dice before almost certainly blowing it up, and they don't lose any of their rookie deal guys. Seems like it makes mutual sense.

Wonder if Kawhi will report to Toronto though - he can still blow this up and seems capable of doing it.
The fines for reporting pile up pretty quickly.

Plus he has to show up eventually to get a year of service to become a FA. I think he reports and plays it out and then takes meetings with the LA teams + Knicks in FA getting the red carpet recruitment tour.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Spurs essentially traded Kawhi for Derozan straight up. Pretty short sided move.

DeRozan is under contract for 3 more years, and they return almost all of a team that nearly won 50 games with Kawhi sitting out.  I don’t understand why people think getting a grab bag of picks and prospects was the correct move.  If they were able to get a specific young player that had franchise potential, that’s one thing, but reportedly none of those were on the table.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Oh I didn't realize Raps also got Danny Green in the deal too.

That's actually a sneaky good addition. Still think Boston's better so long as healthy of course.

But Toronto may now be the 2nd best in East, not PHI.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

We can only say that if we know what others were offering. If he was going to leave at the end of the year, Derozan is better than nothing. Not great, but there clearly weren't a lot of good options on the table for SAS.

Mike

Yeah that’s pretty obvious. He completely tanked his trade value saying it was LA or bust.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Anyone have any idea how much money Leonard will lose in taxes this year with this deal? Leaving Texas (no state tax) and going to Canada (extra tax I think?) seems significant.

Leonard-OG wing positions will be nasty defensively.

It's never been about money for KL. Drives a beat up truck.  Rejected super max offer of Spurs.

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
There is no doubt that Danny could have beaten that offer if he really wanted to.

I agree this knowledge plus the underwhelming return the Spurs got kind of supports David aldrdge idea that Kawai was in no way committing anywhere.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Anyone have any idea how much money Leonard will lose in taxes this year with this deal? Leaving Texas (no state tax) and going to Canada (extra tax I think?) seems significant.

Leonard-OG wing positions will be nasty defensively.

It's never been about money for KL. Drives a beat up truck.  Rejected super max offer of Spurs.

And yet we’ve heard a fair bit about his next shoe deal.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston finishes first in the East...Philly and Raps have to play each other in the second round. Sets up nicely for the Celtics.
Is it weird that I'm not certain that Philly finishes third?

Heck if Kawhi is still they same guy I can see the Raptors beating out the C's for the 1 seed too.

If they do it will be because of the Doc Rivers method of resting players and not giving a crap where you finish.

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Yeah, based on initial googling, I'm pretty sure Leonard loses like 4 million extra in taxes in this deal by moving from Texas to Canada.

Edit: It's been one of the reasons that players don't want to go to Toronto and that the Raptors had to give Lowry, Ibaka, DeRozan so much money.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Early EC Predictions:

1. Boston 2. Toronto 3. Philly 4. Indiana 5. Milwaukee 6. Miami 7. Washington 8. Detroit

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

DeRozan is under contract for 3 more years, and they return almost all of a team that nearly won 50 games with Kawhi sitting out.  I don’t understand why people think getting a grab bag of picks and prospects was the correct move.  If they were able to get a specific young player that had franchise potential, that’s one thing, but reportedly none of those were on the table.

I’m not a DeRozan fan and think it’s beyond time for SA to rebuild that’s why lol

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I’m not a DeRozan fan and think it’s beyond time for SA to rebuild that’s why lol

I’m going to go with RC Buford and Greg Popovich on this one.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Raptors just burned down their future for a rental. And they still will not be good enough to beat Boston.

And you can book Raps v Celtics on opening night
What exactly was Toronto's future though?  They weren't better than Boston before the trade, at least now in a series with Boston, Toronto will have the best player on the floor and if you have that you have at least a decent chance of winning a series.

For one year? If the Raps gave up significant pieces that are young and future picks for a one year guy, that means next year going forward they will not be good. And this move does not put them over the hump in a series vs Boston nor Philly.

I’d have favored them against Philly already this year.

Not sure about that. Maybe but it is razor thin esp if the Raptors burned their bench in this deal. Bottom line is I do not see them being better than the Celtics.

Not really sure how the Lakers lost. They can just sign him for free next year and keep their young players. Long run they are a big winner

Assuming he goes there.

Can the Clips create enough space through trades to make a max offer to KL in 2019?  Will be interesting to see if they try to do that.