Author Topic: Jahill Okafor receiving no offers (update: signs with Pelicans)  (Read 8784 times)

Re: Jahill Okafor receiving no offers
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2018, 04:10:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How does Jahlil compare to Emeka, who is still in the league at age 35?
Almost the complete opposite of Emeka, amazingly. They're two halves of a legendary center, lol. Emeka's defence and rebounding coupled with Jahlil's offensive touch would be awesome. Sadly, fusions between people are impossible

Strange world...a couple years back Emeka was the bust and Jahlil was the future star.

Now Dwight Howard is arguably worse than Emeka, and Jahlil even worse than Dwight.
I think you might be being a bit too harsh on Dwight. 16/12/1.5 is still very serviceable. It's just guys like him (boneheads) aren't really what any team wants, and he is no longer the MVP level talent to get away with it.

Either way, Jahlil is still the worst Okafor  ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He is available because his game is obsolete! He entered the NBA about 10 years too late.

Players like him and Monroe are becoming a thing of the past. They are not got defensively and their offensive games are not compatible to the way teams space and pace the floor now.

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 08:25:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Almost the complete opposite of Emeka, amazingly. They're two halves of a legendary center, lol. Emeka's defence and rebounding coupled with Jahlil's offensive touch would be awesome. Sadly, fusions between people are impossible

Strange world...a couple years back Emeka was the bust and Jahlil was the future star.

Now Dwight Howard is arguably worse than Emeka, and Jahlil even worse than Dwight.
Emeka wasn't a bust.  He was a very, very solid center until injuries came into play.  happy to see him back in the league.

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 09:31:09 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
What was the collective thought here?  We were arguing about if Isaiah should get the max or only $20m per.

No matter what the collective thought was, this blog always over values guys that played here.   I admit not even I thought he would sink so low as to get the vet minimum, though.

Major Tangent:

The best class that I ever took in grad school was on behavioral finance, which analyzes the various biases that affect our thought processes. For instance, any thread about POTUS is rich in "confirmation bias," which means that you tend to find evidence that supports your existing view, regardless of whether it's correct.

One of the ones that I found most interesting was the "Endowment effect." First, we shall take a moment to let you giggle about the jokes that just came to your mind...

Okay, done? Good.

The endowment effect means that you value something more highly once you already own it. Read the article here and look at the example that they give using a pen and a mug. Now, take that and expand it to someone that is not only already on your team but also somebody that you have invested a lot of emotion in. No wonder so many people wanted to give IT the Brinks truck. We're conditioned to do so.

If you are interested in behavioral finance, anything by Dick Thaler is a great read. It's sort of "pop non-fiction," but he's the founder of an entire field of study. You don't get to learn from too many of those.

Mike

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Emeka wasn't a bust.  He was a very, very solid center until injuries came into play.  happy to see him back in the league.
His rookie year was awesome. 15/11 and nearly 2 blocks. Even with his injuries, his Charlotte numbers were quite good

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 01:46:11 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

His rookie year was awesome. 15/11 and nearly 2 blocks. Even with his injuries, his Charlotte numbers were quite good

Guess I am too young for this. But I remember Dwight as the superstar, and Emeka was the next pick who was also a big, but just paled in comparison to Dwight.

Really love that Emeka came back though. He wore a Spongebob jersey at the G-League before coming back to the NBA! Goes to show there's no one road to Rome.

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 01:47:35 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
What was the collective thought here?  We were arguing about if Isaiah should get the max or only $20m per.

No matter what the collective thought was, this blog always over values guys that played here.   I admit not even I thought he would sink so low as to get the vet minimum, though.

Major Tangent:

The best class that I ever took in grad school was on behavioral finance, which analyzes the various biases that affect our thought processes. For instance, any thread about POTUS is rich in "confirmation bias," which means that you tend to find evidence that supports your existing view, regardless of whether it's correct.

One of the ones that I found most interesting was the "Endowment effect." First, we shall take a moment to let you giggle about the jokes that just came to your mind...

Okay, done? Good.

The endowment effect means that you value something more highly once you already own it. Read the article here and look at the example that they give using a pen and a mug. Now, take that and expand it to someone that is not only already on your team but also somebody that you have invested a lot of emotion in. No wonder so many people wanted to give IT the Brinks truck. We're conditioned to do so.

If you are interested in behavioral finance, anything by Dick Thaler is a great read. It's sort of "pop non-fiction," but he's the founder of an entire field of study. You don't get to learn from too many of those.

Mike

So how does one avoid the Endowment effect in order to field stronger arguments on CelticsBlog about Isaiah Thomas?

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 01:54:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Guess I am too young for this. But I remember Dwight as the superstar, and Emeka was the next pick who was also a big, but just paled in comparison to Dwight.

Really love that Emeka came back though. He wore a Spongebob jersey at the G-League before coming back to the NBA! Goes to show there's no one road to Rome.
Emeka was considerably better as a rookie (3 or 4 years older), but then got hurt and only played 26 games the next season. So really we will never know how he would have panned out, but I think he would have probably peaked as an 18/12/2 guy. So still definitely worse than Dwight, but nothing to sneeze at.

That was nearly 15 years ago now though, jeesh ;D

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 02:38:21 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

Emeka was considerably better as a rookie (3 or 4 years older), but then got hurt and only played 26 games the next season. So really we will never know how he would have panned out, but I think he would have probably peaked as an 18/12/2 guy. So still definitely worse than Dwight, but nothing to sneeze at.

Yet the net effect is neither have won a single championship. Quite interesting when you consider that.

Though, of course, Dwight has multiple DPoY, and sells much more tickets...

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 03:36:04 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Major Tangent:

Okay, done? Good.

Mike

Great thread to read back on:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=92521.msg2358915#msg2358915
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 04:04:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yet the net effect is neither have won a single championship. Quite interesting when you consider that.

Emeka had a deeper playoff run this year!! ;)

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 05:05:43 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

Emeka had a deeper playoff run this year!! ;)

Looking back, Dwight was a beast when Orlando reached the finals.

If he had just stayed in Orlando...I wonder if they would have at least contended for a few years...like the Rockets except with a star center instead of a star guard. SVG's system was ahead of its time...in a way.

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 03:02:24 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
No work ethic. Okafor has a lot of skill and is incredibly coordinated for his size. If he dedicated himself, got into great shape, and started moving his feet on defense, he could have a role in the NBA. But he doesn't want to work for it so he's going to learn a lot about different cultures by living in other countries for a while.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2018, 09:51:21 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Major Tangent:

Okay, done? Good.

Mike

Do they give an example where, after assigning a perceived value to your mug, somebody smashes it with a hammer and then acts smug about you ever thinking you could get that much for a pile of irregular ceramic shards? Because that's the relevant comparison.

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386