Author Topic: Jahill Okafor receiving no offers (update: signs with Pelicans)  (Read 8753 times)

Re: Jahill Okafor receiving no offers
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 05:20:03 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
He seems like an ideal candidate for the Chinese leagues.

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 06:01:02 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I think this whole offseason has been pretty weird, especially considering what a lot of CBers were expecting.

Cousins for the tax payer mid level ($5.3m)
Isaiah for the vet minimum ($2m)
Noel for the vet minimum

Okafor unsigned

Bradley for 2 years/$25m (so 12.5m per).

What was the collective thought here?  We were arguing about if Isaiah should get the max or only $20m per.

It's good the C's traded Avery, because they'd lose him for nothing in free agency because he'd be getting $18m-$20m per year offers.  Now he just signed for what some of us think Smart should be signed for.

Ignoring the Brooklyn picks that would have been traded to make it happen, there's enough of us that would have loved to trade for Cousins and pay him max money.

Not to mention all the Noel/Okafor/Smart/Brooklyn pick trade discussions.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 06:17:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
What was the collective thought here?  We were arguing about if Isaiah should get the max or only $20m per.

No matter what the collective thought was, this blog always over values guys that played here.   I admit not even I thought he would sink so low as to get the vet minimum, though.

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 06:17:52 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Remember guys, trust Hinkie’s ‘process’ of drafting a guy at 22 who may be out of the league, over Porziņģis, Winslow, Myles Turner and Devin Booker...heck Rozier would have been a better pick. Hinkie offered Philly fans the cool aid and they continue to slurp it up.

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I'll admit to having been very, very wrong about Okafor.

I thought he was gonna be really good.  I figured he'd be productive out of the gate and find a way to contribute to winning.  Couldn't have been more off the mark.  Granted, he came into a bad situation with the Sixers, but nonetheless, his descent into utter irrelevancy has been a bit mystifying to me.

I have to say I'm still kind of confused as to why nobody wants to give him a shot.  Didn't the playoffs show that guys who can generate buckets one and one and punish mismatches still have at least some theoretical value in the league?  I don't think anybody is clamoring to play guys like Okafor and Monroe 30+ minutes per night and in crunch time, but I think there's value there for 15-20 minutes a night.

Makes me wonder if there's not more than just the on-court issues with Jahlil.  If he were a hard worker with a good attitude, focus, etc it's hard for me to believe that nobody would want to use a roster spot on him.

Remember when debating whether Okafor or Noel would turn out better? I was on the Okafor side and actually liked him p much back then  ::)

Re your points about his value, I'm afraid he is irrelevant.

See this reddit post here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7iiqy2/serious_why_jahlil_okafor_isnt_a_good_player/

It's not like I agree with  everything he says, but he makes some solid points: Okafor doesn't give you the rebounds /easy buckets /rim protection you want from a big.  He also seems to have attitude issues and hasn't improved his game or body since college. I'm sure you know all this already, but the post still provides a nice sum up IMO.

Speaking of bigs without demand, Hibbert is also an UFA.

Hibbert? LOL !!!

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 07:03:17 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
not surprising after his underwhelming performance for Brooklyn

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

No matter what the collective thought was, this blog always over values guys that played here.   I admit not even I thought he would sink so low as to get the vet minimum, though.

That was all before it was clear that Isaiah ruined his career getting the C's to the conference finals. Had he been healthy this past year he still would have got the $20+ million a year that was being discussed. It's honestly disingenuous to pretend otherwise. Isaiah will probably go down as one of the league's bigger cautionary tales about not putting the team ahead of your own personal interests.

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 09:25:23 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858

That was all before it was clear that Isaiah ruined his career getting the C's to the conference finals. Had he been healthy this past year he still would have got the $20+ million a year that was being discussed. It's honestly disingenuous to pretend otherwise. Isaiah will probably go down as one of the league's bigger cautionary tales about not putting the team ahead of your own personal interests.

I know this is becoming "conventional wisdom" but do people really think that Isaish would have gotten $20M if he had shut it down 10 games earlier or 20 games earlier?  He would still have had surgery after trying to let the hip heal with rest.  He has a chronic, degenerative condition, a ticking time bomb shall we say.  It went off in the ECF.

The timing of everything sucks for IT but when exactly would have been a good time for him to shut it down?

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 10:01:42 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I know this is becoming "conventional wisdom" but do people really think that Isaish would have gotten $20M if he had shut it down 10 games earlier or 20 games earlier?

He definitely would have gotten that money if he were healthy, no question. Now, whether there's any potential scenario that ends in him being healthy at all is a different matter. However, at the time the $20+ million figures were being discussed he was either still on the court playing for Boston or the full extent of the injury wasn't known/understood. Acting like anyone was sitting around in February talking about Isaiah was going to get maxed out is just dealing in falsehoods.

Facts remain, though, Isaiah shredded his hip over the second half of the 2017 season in a way that's likely to derail his career long term, and he did it pushing the C's to the ECF. The fact that certain posters have their underwear in enough of a bunch over a guy wanting a paycheck that they're glad that he destroyed his body doing everything possible to help the team just makes them bad fans (to put it mildly). 

He would still have had surgery after trying to let the hip heal with rest.  He has a chronic, degenerative condition, a ticking time bomb shall we say.  It went off in the ECF.

The timing of everything sucks for IT but when exactly would have been a good time for him to shut it down?

Considering that the surgery did wind up being necessary after all? March of 2017.

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 10:20:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Okafor might have go overseas. The money in the NBA has all dried up. Maybe the Kings, but they have 6 centers?

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 11:59:03 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I'll admit to having been very, very wrong about Okafor.

I thought he was gonna be really good.  I figured he'd be productive out of the gate and find a way to contribute to winning.  Couldn't have been more off the mark.  Granted, he came into a bad situation with the Sixers, but nonetheless, his descent into utter irrelevancy has been a bit mystifying to me.

I have to say I'm still kind of confused as to why nobody wants to give him a shot.  Didn't the playoffs show that guys who can generate buckets one and one and punish mismatches still have at least some theoretical value in the league?  I don't think anybody is clamoring to play guys like Okafor and Monroe 30+ minutes per night and in crunch time, but I think there's value there for 15-20 minutes a night.

Makes me wonder if there's not more than just the on-court issues with Jahlil.  If he were a hard worker with a good attitude, focus, etc it's hard for me to believe that nobody would want to use a roster spot on him.

Okafor is a younger Monroe
. They are not bad players, in fact offensively they are very good. It's just in today's NBA where teams have decided to switch every single PnR, they are left on an island and just aren't quick enough to not get blown by every time. Makes them very difficult to play.

This gets mentioned a lot, but unlike Monroe, Okafor is a bad rebounder and a poor passer. If he could at least rebound well he would probably get a shot, but that deficiency just adds to the problem.

Good points. Monroe is a good and willing passer, otherwise it’s not likely they would have signed him.

It was his ballhandling turnovers that were so costly last year, not the bad passes.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 12:59:56 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I know this is becoming "conventional wisdom" but do people really think that Isaish would have gotten $20M if he had shut it down 10 games earlier or 20 games earlier?  He would still have had surgery after trying to let the hip heal with rest.  He has a chronic, degenerative condition, a ticking time bomb shall we say.  It went off in the ECF.

The point of bogg's comment is "had he been healthy".  Not, "if he had shut it down earlier".  And suggesting it was all about a chronic condition over-simplifies what happened to Thomas.

Ball-joint impingement is a condition that only becomes a problem if a joint is stressed out of the range that is otherwise not bothered by the impingement.  Thomas played for years with hardly a skipped beat, missing very little time.   So arguably, his normal style of play was not putting undo stress against the limits of whatever his 'chronic' impingement condition imposed.    But unfortunately in his last year here he had first one odd stressor mid-winter, which simply bothered him for a couple of days and then, more seriously, 275 lbs of Karl Anthony Towns landed on top of him with just weeks left in the season.   

It was that last event that seemed to really do the damage from which there was no bouncing back.

If that had not happened, who knows?  Maybe he continues to just play at his high level right through the next few years?

I'm pretty sure he would have gotten paid fairly well if that had been the case.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 01:19:35 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
How does Jahlil compare to Emeka, who is still in the league at age 35?

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2018, 02:10:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Almost the complete opposite of Emeka, amazingly. They're two halves of a legendary center, lol. Emeka's defence and rebounding coupled with Jahlil's offensive touch would be awesome. Sadly, fusions between people are impossible
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2018, 03:18:27 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Almost the complete opposite of Emeka, amazingly. They're two halves of a legendary center, lol. Emeka's defence and rebounding coupled with Jahlil's offensive touch would be awesome. Sadly, fusions between people are impossible

Strange world...a couple years back Emeka was the bust and Jahlil was the future star.

Now Dwight Howard is arguably worse than Emeka, and Jahlil even worse than Dwight.