Author Topic: Taking Okafor over Porzingiz  (Read 4323 times)

Re: Taking Okafor over Porzingiz
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Nothing will ever top Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 07:13:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I'll tell you what, it's not as bad as Thabeet over Curry, Harden, Derozan, Rubio, etc.

Yeah. Joe Smith going #1 in '95, Olowokandi goin #1 in '98 (Robert Trailer going ahead of Nowitzki and Pierce the same year), Darko in '03, Adam Morrison going #3 in '06, and Sam Bowie over Jordan as others have mentioned... There's a long list of bad draft choices.

And can we wait until Porzingis actually accomplishes something before we start talking about worst draft decision in history?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 09:08:14 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Oden Durant needs to be on the list too

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 09:34:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Will it go down as one of the worst draft decisions in history? It sure seems so. I know Porzingiz has injury concerns but if he pans out he is poised to be one of the best international players to ever play. Okafor, on the other hand, can’t even seem to get a minimum contract..I’ll actually be surprised if he’s playing in the NBA next year.

1984 called, they want their title as "Worst draft decision ever" back. ;)

Mike
Yeah, nothing is going to be a worst draft decision than bypassing Michael Jordan for Sam Bowie. Heck I am not so sure its even as bad as taking Darko over Melo, Wade or Bosh.
that's hardly the worst draft decision ever.

Bowie, when healthy, was a really good player.  sure, question picking him due to his well known health issues with his legs, but he was a talented player.  also, there was no one who could have seen Jordan becoming a top all-time player.  all-star for sure but Portland already had Drexler. 

for me, the all-time blown draft decision would have to involve a high risk player that was a bust taken before a player that had a high ceiling and high floor.  Bowie/Jordan isn't that situation.

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 10:31:52 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Darko in front of Melo/Bosh/Wade on a Pistons team that could have won multiple titles was the worst pick ever in the moment not just in hindsight.

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 12:01:09 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I would have drafted Zinger ahead of Okafor at the time. Really was unimpressed with Okafor.

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 01:15:18 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Not even in the conversation as the worst draft decision ever.  Probably doesn’t make the top 50.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 02:11:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not even in the conversation as the worst draft decision ever.  Probably doesn’t make the top 50.
Yeah, KP would have to do a lot more (and stay healthy, first and foremost)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 04:08:16 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Will it go down as one of the worst draft decisions in history? It sure seems so. I know Porzingiz has injury concerns but if he pans out he is poised to be one of the best international players to ever play. Okafor, on the other hand, can’t even seem to get a minimum contract..I’ll actually be surprised if he’s playing in the NBA next year.

Mike
Yeah, nothing is going to be a worst draft decision than bypassing Michael Jordan for Sam Bowie. Heck I am not so sure its even as bad as taking Darko over Melo, Wade or Bosh.

Bowie, when healthy, was a really good player.  sure, question picking him due to his well known health issues with his legs, but he was a talented player.  also, there was no one who could have seen Jordan becoming a top all-time player.  all-star for sure but Portland already had Drexler. 

for me, the all-time blown draft decision would have to involve a high risk player that was a bust taken before a player that had a high ceiling and high floor.  Bowie/Jordan isn't that situation.

So, would that be Oden/Durant?

We all knew Durant WOULD be a great scorer in this league, but he elevated his game to perennial top-3 status. About the only knock on him was how frail he was.

Oden we knew COULD be a dominant defender and good offensive player but all the health concerns had to be in the medical report. His back, his legs, even his thumb. When you see a guy like Porter drop the way he did, it makes you wonder what Portland was thinking back then.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 05:08:15 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Hindsight is of huge assistance in these situations, and I wouldn't be too harsh on any front office. Having said this...

It's either Bennett or Milicic.

The argument for Detroit is that they selected Milicic over better and safer choices and that the 2013 draft class was weaker than the 2003 draft.

The argument for Cleveland is that Anthony Bennett has had the worst career of a nr 1 pick ever, and it's not even close.

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 08:29:57 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Hindsight is of huge assistance in these situations, and I wouldn't be too harsh on any front office. Having said this...

It's either Bennett or Milicic.

The argument for Detroit is that they selected Milicic over better and safer choices and that the 2013 draft class was weaker than the 2003 draft.

The argument for Cleveland is that Anthony Bennett has had the worst career of a nr 1 pick ever, and it's not even close.
I'm not as hard on Bennett because everyone knew he shouldn't have been the #1 pick. Only Cleveland and their bad management thought that and ultimately set that guy up to fail.

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 08:35:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Mike

We all knew Durant WOULD be a great scorer in this league, but he elevated his game to perennial top-3 status. About the only knock on him was how frail he was.

Oden we knew COULD be a dominant defender and good offensive player but all the health concerns had to be in the medical report. His back, his legs, even his thumb. When you see a guy like Porter drop the way he did, it makes you wonder what Portland was thinking back then.
I didn't provide a 'winner' mainly because I hadn't come up with a really clear 'winner'.  I don't think the Oden/Durant pick by Portland fits for the same reason Bowie/Jordan doesn't fit.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Darko at #2 by Detroit, Anthony Bennett at #1 by Cleveland and Michael Olowanki at #1 by the Clips --> players that were taken where they were based purely on conjecture over their development over players that were considered more of a sure thing at the time of the draft (and not several years later when time exposed the bad from the good picks).  I'm sure there are some people here who can think back to the drafts in the 70's and 60's who can come up with better examples.

also, I'm sort of on the fence as to whether to include players taken "high" in the draft who busted out due to drug issues rather than talent issues--> William Bedford and Chris Washburn are prime examples.

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 08:46:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Mike

I didn't provide a 'winner' mainly because I hadn't come up with a really clear 'winner'.  I don't think the Oden/Durant pick by Portland fits for the same reason Bowie/Jordan doesn't fit.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Darko at #2 by Detroit, Anthony Bennett at #1 by Cleveland and Michael Olowanki at #1 by the Clips --> players that were taken where they were based purely on conjecture over their development over players that were considered more of a sure thing at the time of the draft (and not several years later when time exposed the bad from the good picks).  I'm sure there are some people here who can think back to the drafts in the 70's and 60's who can come up with better examples.

also, I'm sort of on the fence as to whether to include players taken "high" in the draft who busted out due to drug issues rather than talent issues--> William Bedford and Chris Washburn are prime examples.
I wouldn't even put the Kandi man in that category, because he had so many injuries it is hard to say what he might have been.  Obviously he wasn't going to be a star, but Kandi actually looked like a credible starter until he got hurt in the 02/03 season (averaging 12/9 when he got hurt) and was never the same again. 

Thabeet should definitely be in consideration though.  Thabeet was awful.  Jonny Flynn from that same draft might have been even worse (though Flynn was 6 and not 2 like Thabeet).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2018, 08:55:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Mike

I wouldn't even put the Kandi man in that category, because he had so many injuries it is hard to say what he might have been.  Obviously he wasn't going to be a star, but Kandi actually looked like a credible starter until he got hurt in the 02/03 season (averaging 12/9 when he got hurt) and was never the same again. 

Thabeet should definitely be in consideration though.  Thabeet was awful.  Jonny Flynn from that same draft might have been even worse (though Flynn was 6 and not 2 like Thabeet).
Thabeet would be another good example.  Flynn at 6 seems to be stretching it a bit far into the draft for me to think of him as the all-time bad pick.

I'll stick with Kandiman as a solid choice --> never developed into much of a player regardless of whether he was injured or not.  solid starter at his best which is woefully insufficient for the top pick in the draft.  Clips passed over a number of players considered to have at least as high of a ceiling with a high floor to boot  --> Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Paul Pierce, Raef Lafrentz (who was pretty darn good pre-injuries and pre-Celtics), Dirk Nowitzki and Mike Bibby.  heck, even Cuttino Mobley at #41 had a much better career than Kandiman.

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2018, 09:41:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Mike

Thabeet would be another good example.  Flynn at 6 seems to be stretching it a bit far into the draft for me to think of him as the all-time bad pick.

I'll stick with Kandiman as a solid choice --> never developed into much of a player regardless of whether he was injured or not.  solid starter at his best which is woefully insufficient for the top pick in the draft.  Clips passed over a number of players considered to have at least as high of a ceiling with a high floor to boot  --> Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Paul Pierce, Raef Lafrentz (who was pretty darn good pre-injuries and pre-Celtics), Dirk Nowitzki and Mike Bibby.  heck, even Cuttino Mobley at #41 had a much better career than Kandiman.
Oh no question there were better players, a lot of them, but Kandi was better than LaFrentz before he got hurt.  Kandi was a better rebounder, he was a better passer, etc.  That was sort of the point I was making about injuries.  Raef had 3 point range, something Kandi didn't, but that was the only thing you could definitively say in favor of Raef over Kandi.  Then Kandi got hurt and fell off a cliff.  Injuries matter a great deal in these things.  Kandi still would have been a bad pick (even a bust) had he not gotten hurt, but he would have never been considered in the same breadth as Bennett, Thabeet, Milicic, etc.  He would have had a much better career than that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip