Author Topic: Taking Okafor over Porzingiz  (Read 4335 times)

Taking Okafor over Porzingiz
« on: July 16, 2018, 03:07:29 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Will it go down as one of the worst draft decisions in history? It sure seems so. I know Porzingiz has injury concerns but if he pans out he is poised to be one of the best international players to ever play. Okafor, on the other hand, can’t even seem to get a minimum contract..I’ll actually be surprised if he’s playing in the NBA next year.

Honestly this may be the best thing that has happened to the Celtics in the past couple years that barely anyone talks about and people overlook..imagine facing a Simmons/Porzingiz/Embiid lineup for years to come...no thanks. Nobody would be debating if “the process” was worth it because that team would probably win multiple titles (if healthy) even with Golden State still near their peak.

Re: Taking Okafor over Porzingiz
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 03:12:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Will it go down as one of the worst draft decisions in history? It sure seems so. I know Porzingiz has injury concerns but if he pans out he is poised to be one of the best international players to ever play. Okafor, on the other hand, can’t even seem to get a minimum contract..I’ll actually be surprised if he’s playing in the NBA next year.

Honestly this may be the best thing that has happened to the Celtics in the past couple years that barely anyone talks about and people overlook..imagine facing a Simmons/Porzingiz/Embiid lineup for years to come...no thanks. Nobody would be debating if “the process” was worth it because that team would probably win multiple titles (if healthy) even with Golden State still near their peak.
to be fair to the Sixers (against my natural instincts), Okafor was considered more of a sure thing whereas Porzingis was a riskier pick.  Okafor showed himself to be what he was expected to be --> an offensively-minded center that lived in the post with limited defensive skills.  problem for Okafor and the Sixers is that the NBA has made that skill set irrelevant.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
No shooting no spacing.... a slow team with 2 centers... they would not beat the warriors or the celtics

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 03:17:49 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Lottery is a crapshoot.  It's obvious that Porzingis is the better player now.  But not quite that obvious at the time of the draft.

Just going to this year alone.  The Atlanta Hawks might get murdered for their choice to take Trae Young over Doncic a few years down the road.

Or how about the Sixers trading Mikal Bridges for Zhaire Smith and a pick.  Will this be seen as a blunder in a couple of years, or will it be seen as a coup, the way the Jayson Tatum trade down is now viewed?

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 03:21:17 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
My memory is that Porzingis refused to work out for the Sixers.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 03:45:41 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 03:51:05 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

1984 called, they want their title as "Worst draft decision ever" back. ;)

Mike

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'll tell you what, it's not as bad as Thabeet over Curry, Harden, Derozan, Rubio, etc.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 04:27:24 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

to be fair to the Sixers (against my natural instincts), Okafor was considered more of a sure thing whereas Porzingis was a riskier pick.  Okafor showed himself to be what he was expected to be --> an offensively-minded center that lived in the post with limited defensive skills.  problem for Okafor and the Sixers is that the NBA has made that skill set irrelevant.

I wouldn't say its irrelevant and Porzingas hasn't really made the Knicks great or anything. Nowadays you just want your C to be able to switch in the P&R and that is about as far away from Okafor's skill set as you can get. Same reason we couldn't really use Monroe. Doesn't mean they are bad players it's just nowadays teams like to switch on very P&R. That's why we went out and got Williams..

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 04:34:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Yeah, you could almost make the same claim to the Lakers taking Russell at 2 in that same draft. Although he is still in the league.

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 04:40:20 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Yeah, you could almost make the same claim to the Lakers taking Russell at 2 in that same draft. Although he is still in the league.

You're probably getting ahead of yourselves on Zinger. He's good but has a bit to go to be a player that eats you up every time you think you passed on him..

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 04:58:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Let's see what happens with the Kings pick and what Fultz becomes, because that could be even more disastrous since it basically constitutes blowing 2 drafts.

Plus, let's say in terms of value right it goes like this:
Tatum
Porzingis (especially considering the injury)
Fultz
Okafor

If that Kings pick eclipses, or is at least on par, with Porzingis then that would be a bigger miss than the Okafor pick.

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 05:05:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

1984 called, they want their title as "Worst draft decision ever" back. ;)

Mike
Yeah, nothing is going to be a worst draft decision than bypassing Michael Jordan for Sam Bowie. Heck I am not so sure its even as bad as taking Darko over Melo, Wade or Bosh.

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 05:21:39 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
What a bad draft it turned out to be. So much hype yet the only top players coming out of the lottery are Porzingis, Booker and possibly Towns.

The consolation for Philly is that the player they wanted was Russell and that hasn't exactly worked out either. We really should be questioning the LA pick as well. They should have picked Porzingis, as a few analysts like Kevin O'connor were saying, yet I don't recall them ever seriously considering him..